Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyssaman

WANTED: Annual Southern Ontario Plant Swap/London and Area

nyssaman
15 years ago

I know its early ..too early probably..but I'm getting excited especially after this brutal winter..To begin planning the Annual Spring/Summer plant swap..lol.Signet and Bev email when you get a chance let me know what your thinking. Anyone that is new to Garden web and that may have a question can email me and I will try to answer them for you.Please post to give me an idea of interest in this event.

Cheers

Jeff Tiffany

Comments (177)

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Heather, we would definitely miss you if you weren't there. I hope you can make it.
    Lois

• bev_w
    14 years ago

Hey GG, Can you spare some comfrey divisions? I have one comfrey plant that was religiously deadheaded last year. No babies. My list is up there somewhere...

Also, do you want me to save you a passiflora seedling from the seeds I received from you?

Bev

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Hi Bev,
    No problem with the comfrey. Are you sure yours is not coming up? Mine comes back every year from the root.
    I will be glad to bring some for you, it is up several inches already. BTW I answered you above and asked about your dill 'vierling'. How tall is it? I looked it up and got info that says it is anywhere from 18-24" all the way to four feet! Just a bit of a difference. :-)If it is the shorter kind, then I would love some of it, if possible.

Glad to see the passi seeds are growing for you. The one I left out as an experiment, seems to have bit the dust. The one I brought in is still limping along. If I can keep it going a while longer, I expect it to take off and look better as soon as I can get it outside.
    Thanks for offering, but maybe you can use them to trade for something that someone is offering.
    Lois

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

my list now includes:

-LOTS of pots of various sizes
    -impatiens balfourii seedlings
    -tall pink phlox division
    -couple of well rooted cuttings of brugmansia-one yellow and one white (might have more later after 'inventory') :)
    -delphinium-bought last year and not planted-left in pot all winter and now growing-36-48"--light blue
    -peachleafed bellflower--either white or mauve-(not sure until they flower)
    -clustered bellflower-dark purple
    -comfrey division
    -three catalpa seedlings about 8-10" tall
    -white birch tree seedlings wintersown last year, but not planted out-leafed out already.-three in pot-largest about 6-8" tall.

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

About the above post re: the delphinium---that doesn't mean that it is now that tall. It will grow that tall! ;-)

• flowergirl_on
    14 years ago

Hi HEATHER/Signet, I hope to see you at the swap too.

CAROL, thank you for the trade.

SHARRI: I'll bring you daffodils, Frans Hals, Purple Waters and Aquilegia vulgaris for 4 more bags of aged manure if okay?

LOIS: You don't happen to remember the name of your delphinium? Probably not because otherwise you would have mentioned it. I bought d. 'Summer Skies' last year, does that ring a bell? If you know for sure it wasn't that I might be interested in it.

Merja

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Hi Merja, the tag says delphinium X Belladonna
    I looked it up and the info is at the link below.
    Lois

Here is a link that might be useful: delph.

• rosco_p
    14 years ago

Just wanted to add a couple of items to my list:

Updated Trade List;Below, please find my present list of offerings for the swap.
    1 year old purple Lilac division
    Clematis Tangutica 1st year plants
    White Calla Lilly seedlings
    Noid Brugmansia Seedlings
    Aconitum Monks Hood(blue) divisions
    Japanese Kerria divisions
    Potted Calla Lillies (yellow)
    Bachelor Buttons (centaurea montana) division
    Sweet Woodruff division
    Gardenia Rooted cuttings (small)
    Sedum (mounding type)
    Yucca filamentosa (division)
    Lunaria (money plant)
    Small pink Tropical Hibiscus rooted cutting
    Mixed colour Sweet William

MOM of THREE: While working in the garden this afternoon and fighting with Lily of the Valley, I came across a small year old seedling of blue Rose of Sharon which if you want you can have.Let me know and I will set it aside for you.

• mom_of_three
    14 years ago

GG I would love a catalpa seedlings

thanks for thr trades Merja

and that would be great Ross thanks

• flowergirl_on
    14 years ago

LOIS: Thanks for the info on the delphinium. I already have two different blue ones so I better leave it. I have you down only on one daylily. I'm getting couple of plants from you so if you like anything else from my list, please pick something else.

Merja

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Hi Merja,
    If it is okay, then I would like to have the aster tongolensis 'Star of Wartburg'....thanks
    I will leave the delphinium on the list of offerings then and bring you the tall pink phlox and the tulipa tarda.
    Lois

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Sharri, how many catalpa seedlings would you like? Right now they are all in a big pot together, but I can separate them if you only want one.
    Let me know and I will pot one up if that is what you want.
    Lois

• mom_of_three
    14 years ago

One is fine Lois. Thanks. I am sure others will like some.

• flowergirl_on
    14 years ago

LOIS: Yes, I'll bring aster tongolensis 'Star of Wartburg' for you.

So where is everyone else...?

Merja

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Thanks Merja, looking forward to the aster.
    It is kind of empty in here isn't it?? Where is everyone?
    WMC1, lovinlife,ontnative and billl1....haven't heard back from you all.....are you out in the garden busy potting up some plants? :)
    The swap is fast approaching and I hope you can all attend. It was a good time last year. Anyone else just lurking and want to join?
    Lois

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Hi Carol, is there something on my list, (if not then I will hopefully have more soon) that you would take for your 'lime rickey heuchera'?
    gg/Lois

• rosco_p
    14 years ago

Hi All: Would anyone coming to the swap have a Papyrus plant division that they would be willing to trade for?? I had one this winter but unfortunately it didn't survive the winter temps in my attached garage and it is no more. I would really like a replacement for it. Please e-mail if you have some and we can work out a trade. Thankyou. Ross.

I also would like to add to my trade list a Cardinal Climber (young plant);Purple Sage division and Whopper Salvia (young plant).

• flowergirl_on
    14 years ago

ROSS: I am interested in your Cardinal Climber and Whopper Salvia, if there is something on my list you would like for them.

I could use some red flowers in my garden. Does anyone happen to have red zinnias or something else?

Merja

• rosco_p
    14 years ago

Merja: I will set aside the Cardinal Climber and a Whopper Salvia for you. Would you have any of your Lupines(yellow,or white would be nice..if you have them) and a daffodil(cream) would be great. Thanks. Ross.

I believe Jeff is trying to provide me with a division from his Papyrus so I am no longer looking for that. Thanks. Ross

• bev_w
    14 years ago

GG: Sorry for not seeing your response. There's a lot going on in this thread. My comfrey returns every year but its still not a very big clump and I'd rather not divide it just now. I'm hoping to establish a "comfrey patch" on the front 40 with seed-started plants.
    Also, re: dill. I don't know how big it'll get, honestly. I've never grown this variety before.
    - Bev

• flowergirl_on
    14 years ago

ROSS: I have a white lupine that is next to a pink one, I just don't remember which is which so I'll bring them both for you if they are not flowering by then. I also bring some daffodils. Thank you for the trade.

I am out of daffodils now.

Merja

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Thanks gardeng8, I will set aside the delphinium for you, and look forward to the lime rickey heuchera.
    I had to spend the day inside today so no gardening. Is there anything else on my list (so far) that you would be interested in? I would appreciate an azure blue allium if there is. thanks.
    gg/Lois

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

No problem, Bev. I will dig up a clump of comfrey for you and would like to try the dill vierling. It says that it is dwarf on most sites I looked at, but a couple said that it grew to 4 feet. I will see. :)
    Lois

• bev_w
    14 years ago

Hi Gardeng8

I'm interested in your Rose of China (flowering almond) and dwarf Korean lilac shrub. Anything on my list jump out at you?

- Agastache (Hyssop) "honey bee blue" small divisions
    - Agastache (Hyssop) "Tutti Frutti" seedlings
    - Alchemilla / Ladies Mantle divisions
    - Amaranthus "Golden giant" seedlings
    - Campanula lactiflora "Dwarf Pink"
    - Dill "Vierling"
    - Echinaea (pink) volunteers
    - Lovage (medium sized division)
    - Lychnis chalcedonica red (Maltese cross)
    - Nepeta "Walkers Low" small division
    - Nicotiana "Aztec" and probably some other Nikis, too
    - Parsley "Darki"
    - Passiflora caerula seedling
    - Penstemon cobea (Fairy Thimbles) seedlings
    - Penstemon whippleanus "Chocolate Drop" seedlings
    - Phlomis tuberosa (purple Jerusalem sage)
    - Phlox paniculata (seedling of 'David")
    - Physostegia virginiana pink
    - pink mums, unknown var. photo here: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=mum&w=23796236%40N08
    - Ruta graveola (common rue) small pot
    - Salvia "Rose Queen"
    - Silene (seedling from "Electra") prolific self-seeder
    - Silphium (cup plant) division
    - Thyme "Doon Valley"
    - Valeriana officinalis white (this is the species / herb)
    - Verbena (blue, perennial, ground-cover type, blooming now, gorgeous)
    - Wall Germander
    - Woodland Phlox (dark purple) small pots

- Bev

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Thanks gardeng8, looking forward to the azure blue allium.

**NEW**
    --perennial candytuft seedlings--small clumps
    --rooted cuttings of plectranthus 'Mona lavender'
    --poppies I 'think' they are double orange
    --poppies-smaller flowered, brilliant orangey-red
    --hardy geranium--pink (unknown name)

-LOTS of pots of various sizes
    -impatiens balfourii seedlings---Sharri
    -tall pink phlox division---Merja---Carol
    -couple of well rooted cuttings of brugmansia-one yellow and one white (might have more later after 'inventory') :)
    -delphinium-bought last year and not planted-left in pot all winter and now growing-36-48"--light blue---Carol
    -peachleafed bellflower--either white or mauve-(not sure until they flower)
    -clustered bellflower-dark purple
    -comfrey division---Bev
    -three catalpa seedlings about 8-10" tall---one for Sharri
    -white birch tree seedlings wintersown last year, but not planted out-leafed out already.-one about 6-8" tall, one a bit smaller (the third one seems to have been uprooted by the toad that keeps trying to make a home in my containers out there).
    -tulipa tarda---Carol---Merja

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Hi Merja,
    I bought a seed mix of red annuals and there are zinnia seeds in there. I am about to plant them and will also be planting scarlet flax. If they grow properly, then I will bring you some. I noticed that I am trying to put more red in my garden this year also.(that's why I bought the scarlet flax and annual red mix seeds ) :)
    gg/Lois

• mom_of_three
    14 years ago

Is anyone looking for native plants? I may be able to help with some of those.
    Lois I would be interested in a bellflower colour doesn't matter
    thanks Sharri

• rosco_p
    14 years ago

Trade list as of Tuesday May 5/09
    Updated Trade List;Below, please find my present list of offerings for the swap.
    1 year old purple Lilac division
    Clematis Tangutica 1st year plants
    White Calla Lilly (young plants)
    Non identified Brugmansia seedlings
    Aconitum Monks Hood(blue) divisions
    Japanese Kerria divisions
    Potted Calla Lillies (yellow)
    Bachelor Buttons (centaurea montana) division
    Sweet Woodruff division
    Gardenia Rooted cuttings (small)
    Sedum (mounding type)
    Yucca filamentosa (division)
    Lunaria (money plant)
    Small pink Tropical Hibiscus rooted cutting
    Mixed colour Sweet William
    Castor Bean (foot tall plant as of today)
    Cardinal Climber (young plant)
    Bergenia (division)
    Whopper Salvia(seedlings)

Carol(gardeng8) I noted that you were willing to start Regal Callas for trade...would you mind starting the ones you have previously traded to me. I would like to have that extra grow time if it is not too much trouble for you!!P.S. is there anything on my list that would interest you in exchange for a Easter egg plant seedling?

Lois: Would anything on my list interest you in exchange for a Plectranthus cutting??

Bev: Would anything on my list be of interest to you in exchange for Verbena and Penstemon Whippleanus seedling??

Thanks everyone. Ross.

• flowergirl_on
    14 years ago

Carol & Lois: Thank you for your efforts to get some red into my garden. I keep my fingers crossed too. :)
    Merja

• rosco_p
    14 years ago

Just wanted to add that I have 6 Bronzed Leaf Canna rhizomes up for trade. Thanks.Ross

• bev_w
    14 years ago

Hi Ross,

You're interested in the Verbena and Penstemon whippeleanus "Chocolate Drop" I listed.

Could you spare 3 or 4 seedlings of the annual Salvia "whopper"? I had a terrible time with the annuals this year-- only two of my Yvonnes Salvia germinated.

Maybe a Lunaria as well. I grew some Lunaria "Munstead" last year and they turned out to be rather short. I like the taller kind better. Maybe its just this sudden hit of hot weather that prompts them to bloom young.

I could increase the number of Penstemons and Verbena divisions to make the trade more balanced. LMK.

- Bev

• lovinlife
    14 years ago

Wow the trading has really begun. Here are a few things that I have this year. I will update as soon as I can.

Daylily- orange, Yellow, Daring Deception, Egyptian Queen, Dream Legacy
    Peony- not sure of colour
    Rose of Sharon-Mauve with Burgandy eye
    Creeping Myrtle or Periwinkle
    Chinese Latern
    Hosta- Partiot, Stiletto, Tiny Tears, Ventricosa
    Morning Glory- Grandpa Ott, Flying Saucer
    Afican Daisy
    Rose Mallow
    Black Eyed Susan
    Baby's Breath
    Tomatoe-Beef Steak

flowergirl- If you still have available I would like Little Grapette, Pandora's Box, Fairy Tale Pink and Strawberries.

Rosco- If you still have available I would like clematis Tangutica, White Calla and Yellow Calla.

gardeng8- If you still have available I would like regal call and red 'stella' daylily.

greylady- If you still have available I would like yellow brugsmansia.

Check my list to see if there is anything you would like in trade.

Thanks

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

ROSS--I will bring the plectranthus 'mona lavender'. I would love to have the cardinal climber if you think that is a fair trade.

LOVINLIFE--I will set the yellow brug aside for you, and would I be able to have your hosta 'tiny tears'?

BEV--would you have another whippeleanus "Chocolate Drop" seedling?

MERJA--the zinnias are planted this afternoon and the flax will go in tonight. ....XX--crossed fingers--XX

Lois

• mom_of_three
    14 years ago

loveinlife I would be interested in an Egyptian Queen or Dream Legacy and Periwinkle

list
    trout lily
    jack in the pulpit
    trillium
    orange daylilies
    yellow daylilies
    grape hyacinths
    yellow hollyhocks
    bishops weed
    bagged manure

lots of seeds

can try to pot up some mayflower. Don't know if it will take

• signet_gw(6b)
    14 years ago

Hi again gang,

Well nothing has changed and it still doesnt look like I can make the swap so far but I am chomping at the bit and I was wondering if I can do some swapping with people and try to arrange a different time to pick up/drop off the swaps

Lovinlife: I would love to swap for Egyptian Queen and Dream Legacy daylilies and Patriot hosta and ventricosa if possible . I have some daylilies and hosta that I could swap with you .

And Greylady-Gardener , I am interested in your pots and comfrey , Is there some way we can work a swap ?

Merja , I would love to trade for Ice Cap and Pandora's box if possible. Can we work something out ?

Please let me know . Maybe I can meet with someone and leave my swaps for the others with them ?

Hope to hear from some of you

Signet

Let me know

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

so sorry that you still can't find a way to come to the swap! (keep thinking about it!!) :)
    anyway I would be happy to pot up some comfrey and set aside a stack of pots for you (which sizes do you prefer?)I do have lots of medium/small/med-large and some good sized ones too. Just let me know and I will pick out the ones you prefer. We will figure out the rest later. :)
    gg

• flowergirl_on
    14 years ago

Hi LOVINLIFE, I would like to have daylilies Egypian Queen and Dream Legacy, hosta Patriot and African Daisy for Little Grapette, Pandora's Box, Fairy Tale Pink and strawberries if okay? (I have told myself many times that I have enough daylilies but here I go again...)

HEATHER: We can meet so you can do some trades too if you like. I have Ice Cap and Pandora's Box for you.

Merja

• rosco_p
    14 years ago

Carol: Thanks for starting the Regal Calla and yes I have some Whopper Salvia (young plants) that I will put aside for you.

Bev: I will put some Whopper Salvia aside for you in exchange for some Verbena and Penstemon.Don't worry about the amount. I am just happy to have a seedling or two. Thankyou.

Lovinlife: I can procide you with the Clematis Tangutica a White Calla and a Yellow Calla. Would you have any of the Dream legacy Daylilly and Baby's Breath still available? If not any of the other Daylillies will do. Thanks. Ross.

Lois: Thanks for the Plectranthus trade. I will put aside a Cardinal Climber Vine for you. Thanks. Ross.

• bev_w
    14 years ago

GG: I'll set aside a Penstemon "chocolate drop" for you.

Ross: Thanks! Confirming Whopper Salvias, Bears Breeches, and monkshood for amaranth golden giant, parsley darki, cup plant, penstemon choc.drop, and ground cover verbena.

Heather: Too bad! Where are the other Londoners? Barb Lee?
    BlueIris Heather? Maybe they can help out with a pickup spot.

MoT: can you spare a yellow hollyhock?

Anyone: does anyone have some Iceland Poppy (papaver nudicale) in orange?

- Bev

• mom_of_three
    14 years ago

Yes Bev I have lots I can share and like I said before I am not very good with plant names. I have poppy seeds and I googled the iceland poppy and I think thats what I have.
    The neighbour just called them ornamental poppies. I could start some today if you would like.

Lois I would be interested in a bellflower colour doesn't matter

loveinlife I would be interested in an Egyptian Queen or Dream Legacy and Periwinkle

list
    trout lily
    jack in the pulpit
    trillium
    orange daylilies
    yellow daylilies
    grape hyacinths
    yellow hollyhocks
    bishops weed
    lily of the valley
    bagged manure

lots of seeds

can try to pot up some mayflower. Don't know if it will take

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Sorry Sharri, I saw your request for the PL bellflower and thought I had answered you. I must not have hit the 'submit' button.
    I do have you down for the bellflower, catalpa seedling and the impatiens balfourii.
    Could you bring me a yellow hollyhock?
    thanks
    Lois

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Thanks for the penstemon 'chocolate drop". We will work something out for it later....off to work now.
    Lois

• rosco_p
    14 years ago

Bev: In your list of confirmations you didn't mention Lunaria. I have one set aside for you. Ross.

• lovinlife
    14 years ago

flowergirl- I will put aside and Egyptian Queen, Dream Legacy, Patriot Hosta and African Daisy.

Rosco- I will put aside Dream Legacy and Baby's Breath.

gardeng8- I will put aside the Grandpa Ott and Flying Saucer Morning Glories.

greylady- I will put side the Tiny Tears Hosta.

Signet-I will put aside the Egyptian Queen, Dream Legacy, Patriot and Ventricosa. Maybe I can meet up with you before the swap and bring your trades with me.

Mom of Three- Egyptian Queen and Dream Legacy have been traded but would you like the Daring Deception and the Periwinkle for some Manure?

• mom_of_three
    14 years ago

Lovinlife: how about a rose of sharon and periwinkle?

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Thank you lovinlife. Looking forward to the 'tiny tears' hosta in ex for the yellow brugmansia.
    Lois

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Just a couple to add to the list:

-bee balm-red (spreads but easily pulled up)
    -geranium sanguineum

Lois

• signet_gw(6b)
    14 years ago

Hi again everyone ! Thanks so much for being willing to trade other than at the swap.

I thought I would list some stuff that I have to trade so that the above traders could pick what they want and I can get it potted up for them .

Here is my list:

regular and cherrypink lungwort
    candy necklace iris
    forget me nots
    small divisions of Brunnera " Jack Frost"
    mini purple iris
    yellow with purple iris
    violets - purple, white with purple ,and violet "freckles" white with purple polkadots
    ladybells ( can be invasive)
    Chinese lanterns (can be invasive)
    Dame's Rocket ( great butterfly attractor)
    Centaurea montana
    Centaurea Dealbata
    couple of small divisions of yellow primrose
    1 large agapanthus
    1 very small agapanthus
    1 fuschia ( tropical)
    Double feverfew
    Golden feverfew (small divisions)

HOSTAS
    small division of "Twist of Lime" (this is a real mini)
    August Moon
    Paul's Glory
    lancifolia ( great edger hosta .increases really well
    unknown varigated ( again increases well)
    Small division of Stilleto
    Daylilies :

Rocket City
    Siloam Uri Winniford
    Little Winecup
    Bradley Bernard
    1 df division of Bonanza
    1 df division of Aquamarine
    unknown name red daylily
    Schoolbus yellow daylily sold to me as Fulva Tawny but is not but I keep it as it is a gorgeous daylily (bagel type of daylily)

Ground covers :
    Goutweed ( good for very dry shady or sun location where nothing else will grow )
    creeping buttercup
    Creeping Jenny
    couple of types of sedum
    Ajuga "Chocolate chip"

bulbs:
    Snowdrops
    Star of Bethlehem
    Poet's Narcissus ( heavenly smell ...blooms now )
    Lots of other stuff but cant think of it as I type . If you are looking for something let me know I might have some

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    14 years ago

Hi again ,

Greylady, I would love to trade too for some double orange poppies please. Let me know

Thanks
    Signet

• flowergirl_on
    14 years ago

SIGNET: I am interested in hostas 'Twist of Lime' and 'Paul's Glory' for the daylilies if it is okay with you. What kind of iris is candy necklace iris? I can't find a pic when I googled it.

Merja