Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have: papaver x intermedium for sase

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 1:56

I am offering seeds for an heirloom Double Orange hybrid Oriental Poppy for SASE. I have enough seed for only one packet. You can google the subject to read about it.
Please send me an e-mail if you're interested.

Papaver x intermedium

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have: papaver x intermedium for sase

You have mail! Thank you, Carol

o

Hi Northerner
did you get my e-mail that I sent this morning at about 7:30?
gg

o

UPDATE: Thanks for all your requests. The first was at 6:33 a.m. so they are taken. I will try to save more this summer.
Northerner.

o

This looks like a poppy that I have in my garden. I dug it out of an old garden in Port Hope...it took me two tries to get it to successfully transplant.I now have a largish patch that I have to control with the shovel, both spring and fall.It just keeps spreading outward and I have run out of neighbours who want it. It is pretty surly about being transplanted, (as most poppies are)As the patch is currently about a foot and a half square, I can undoubtedly provide some seeds as well. newine

o

Newine, I am sure it is the same. It took me several years to find out what it was. It is an heirloom, and its preferred method of propogation is by underground runners. For that reason, it does not transplant well, nor does it produce many plants from seed. My clump, which is about 2 ft X 1 foot was grown from one plant someone was discarding in her spring clean-up. She told me it would not transplant, but I took it home, put it in a pot and it survived the winter. After a few years, I was elated to see what the bloom was like. Mine has spread, but is not invasive in my Zone 5 garden. I have had it about ten years! I wintersowed some a few years ago - got about 5 plants and have a small clump forming. They don't seem to be spreading and have not yet bloomed. I do not usually like orange flowers, but I love this poppy because it wakes the garden up in the Spring and I can see them waving in the wind from my kitchen window.
Northerner.

o

It has just occurred to me that my patch is over 15 years old.It would, therefore have a pretty well established root system.Normally, if anybody wants to try it, I dig out a piece,stick it is a pot with sufficient soil to cover the roots and my husband drives it right over to its new garden home.However, this year I will try to pot up some of the outermost travellers and see if they survive. If they seem to be doing okay, I will take them to the Barrie plant swap. newine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here