Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
origami_master

HAVE: Third Annual Group Seed Swap

origami_master
16 years ago

Hi everyone! Spring is approaching and in a few weeks time, it'll be time to start seeds. I would like to start the third annual spring seed swap. It has been a great success for the last two year, and I would like to start this initiative again. Everyone is welcome to join. Please leave your name here or drop me an email at kennyso25@gmail.com I will post the rules from the previous swaps here, I hope everyone has fun and a bigger variety of plants for their garden!

Comments (50)

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

RULES:

Please mark all packages clearly. Common names are suffice, and botanical (latin) names are optional but I recommend them. Please print instead of handwriting the names (printing as in individual letters instead of cursive)

Please limit to no more than 5 packets of the same variety of seed (5 per cultiver to be more exact) Example: 5 packets of fordhook swiss chard and 5 packets of bright lite swiss chard, but not 10 packets of fordhook)

Please try to have at least 20 seeds per packet, more if they are small (like poppy seeds) or few if they are more rare or large seeds (like cannas) Include a packet of seeds that you would be happy receiving. As a broad rule, include enough seeds so that if one try fails, another can be made.

Please NO weeds seeds. I understand some of us consider some weeds and invasive plants a part of our garden, but please use common sense. Nothing like purple loosestrife, or ragweed

Please include a WISH LIST of what you want and I will try to give you those on your list if they appear in the envelopes

Before you send you package of seeds, please make sure you have the following in the package:

-a return bubble envelope (I can reuse the one that you send the seeds in)

-sufficient return postage (the last swap I did, there were some people who sent only one .51 stamp...I'm not being stingy and I don't really mind, but I don't usually mail things, and if I have to run out to buy a few cents in stamps, it can get annoying sometimes!) Besides if it comes back to me, it's going to take even longer to get back to you!

-wishlist

-seeds

-return address label

Again: I need to get all the seeds by April 1, you can mail them any time but the latest should be March 24 (I will post a reminder on the 20th) You are welcome to send the seeds earlier if you would like! Have Fun! It's been a great success over the last years and I've seen some new active members! Have fun everyone!

• hmacdona1
    16 years ago

Hi Kenny,
    Count me in. I'll need you to send me your address again. Thanks for coordinating.....Heather

• growjo
    16 years ago

Hi Kenny,
    Count me in also. Please forward your address and I will send my package out. I can't wait.
    growjo

• rosco_p
    16 years ago

Hello Kenny: I would also like to participate in this years seed swap. You have done such a great job in the past. You help make the gardening season interesting for us all. Thanks. Ross. .

• ninjakaren
    16 years ago

Hi Kenny! I would love to be a part of this seed swap! Please count me in and forward me your address. THis is the first such seed swap that I've participated in!
    Cheers!
    karen

• Shanta_5
    16 years ago

Kenny,
    Count me in also. Please email me your address

shanta

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

10 members so far, and will likely be a few more, you can sign up any time up until the week of the 17th

• seagull
    16 years ago

Yes, count me in, I loved the fall swap! This week, I'll even have NEW commercial seeds to swap. Please send your address and approximate $ amount of stamps that should be sent to you for return mail.
    Cheers.
    Marg D.

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

12 members and counting, it's not too late to join!

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

Please count me in also.
    Mariana

• growjo
    16 years ago

Kenny,
    I have seeds packaged and ready to go, I just need your address.
    Thanks,
    growjo

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just an extra little thing. I realize some members are going to include some commercial seeds. I would like to ask anyone including commercial seeds to indicate they are commercial (I assume there would be a smaller amount of commercial seeds than you regular packet) so there won't be misunderstandings.

• cziga
    16 years ago

Is this a flower seed swap or is a mix of flowers & veggies welcome as well?

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

it has always been flowers and veggies, but most people send in just flowers. the odd person sends in veggie seeds. if you don't want veggies, just write so on your wish list and I'll make sure you don't get them

• cziga
    16 years ago

Well I meant more that I have veggies to share as well as flowers, but I wasn't sure if people were interested in receiving vegetables . . . or if most people are just looking for flowers :)

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'd say go ahead and send them in as well. Some people have sent in heirloom tomato seeds and other veggies, and i've never had complaints before

• growjo
    16 years ago

Kenny,
    I sent off my seed packs for the exchange today.
    growjo

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I fogot to add, if you guys could add your screen name somewhere on your package, thanks

Today, packages came from:
    Tanya, Mississauga
    Mariana, Elliot Lake
    M. Grime, Fergus

• hmacdona1
    16 years ago

Hi Kenny,

I sent my package today. You also have a separate email. Thanks again for coordinating....Heather

• holidays99
    16 years ago

Kenny,
    Count me in,
    I will be sending off my seed packs for the exchange this week,e-mail me your address.

Mary

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

seeds came in today from:
    Noreen, Canwood
    shanta, Burlington
    Marg, Berwick
    Lois, London

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

YAY! mine arrived......whew!
    Looking forward to the seeds arriving, I love getting seeds! ;-o.
    gg

• seedwizard
    16 years ago

Hi
    Is is too late to join this one? Can get seeds ready and mailed today. If not too late please email me the address to mail seeds to. I am in Manitoba.

• cziga
    16 years ago

Kenny,
    I mailed my package off to you today. Should be there pretty quickly, I would imagine. Let me know when you receive it and thanks for hosting this seed swap again!

• susan_sauer
    16 years ago

Hi

i would like to be included in the seed swap.

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't forget to mail your seed out!!! Sorry for the late reminder. Susan did you get my email? if not, here's mine:
    kennyso25@gmail.com

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Seeds from:
    Heather, Calgary
    Bobbie, Russell
    Ross, Chatham

• holidays99
    16 years ago

Hi Kenny

Did you rec'd my package?

Mary

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Packages so far:

Tanya, Mississauga
    Mariana, Elliot Lake
    M. Grime, Fergus
    Noreen, Canwood
    shanta, Burlington
    Marg, Berwick
    Lois, London
    Heather, Calgary
    Bobbie, Russell
    Ross, Chatham

Holidays. what's your name and city?

• holidays99
    16 years ago

Holidays99
    Mary
    Ajax

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary, not yet

Today's packages:
    Kirsti, Caledon
    Cathleen, Richmond hill
    Sandy, Hamilton

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hope everyone can see this:

I've got 99% of the envelopes, and am waiting on two-three more. The smaller envelopes (20 or so packets) have been swapped. The larger packages (50+) will take a while to go through. Unfortunately, the larger packages will get a few doubles, because if I swapped all the larger packages, the smaller packages wouldn't have any variety, so I'm sorry about that. I will go out sometime soon (if and when I can) to get some seeds to swap into the group. I noticed almost everyone says they don't want marigolds, hollyhocks, gaillardia and columbine. And most of you guys included them in your package to swap, so unfortunately, everyone will get some of the above, but I made sure that they varieties differ from the ones sent in. Thanks for everyone's understanding. If there's anything else, don't hesitate to email me.

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Package came from:
    Mary, Ajax

• origami_master
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Seeds came in from:
    Joanne, Brandon
    S. Saucer, Saskatoon

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The deadline has past, and all the packages have come in. Thanks for everyone's participation. The seeds will be finished being swapped tonight and will get into the mail by Monday morning. Please start posting when you get your package, and if you want, share and tell us about your 'new' seeds!

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Thanks again for organizing Kenny. Can't wait to see my surprise seed back. Will definitely post when they arrive.
    ....Heather

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know that all the packages have been dropped off in the mail box, so they'll go out when they pick up the mail on Monday morning

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

Kenny: I just received my seeds from the recent swap that you had mentioned you mailed on Monday. Thankyou for the great assortment and all your work involved in meeting everyones wishes and desires. I appreciate the time you spent to enrich the gardening experience for all of us. Happy gardening. Ross.

• mariana2007
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny,
    I received the seeds today. They were a nice surprise. I'm searching them online right now.
    Thank you very much for organizing and all the work you put in it for us.
    Happy gardening!
    Mariana

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Kenny. I'm sure it was a lot of work but I really appreciate it! :) I can't wait to plant my new seeds! ....larkspur, verbascum (nigrum),daylily mix, sweet peas,paper daisies and many more!!

thanks again Kenny and everyone.
    gg

• susan_sauer
    15 years ago

Thank you Kenny!!

I received my seed package on Friday. What an assortment! I can hardly wait to get into my raised beds, now if only the weather would cooperate!!

Thank you for organizing this trade!

Happy Gardening in 2008!!

• cziga
    15 years ago

I received the seeds in the mail as well. Great variety! Thank you for organizing this swap every year! I agree, I wish the weather would start cooperating :)

• holidays99
    15 years ago

Thanks

Kenny, I rec'd my package to-day...

Mary

• seedwizard
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny
    Got my seeds today, nice variety and pleased with them. Thank you again for organizing this.

• seagull
    15 years ago

Received my lovely seeds on Monday! What an exciting variety. I can't wait to start digging in the dirt. Thanks for all of your time and hard work Kenny.
    Marg

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny,

Haven't yet received my seed envelope. Did all of the envelopes get mailed a week ago Sunday or is it just that Canada Post is being really bad lately? I've already had my mail delivery today, so that's 8 business days since your envelopes have been mailed. Hopefully they'll arrive soon. Please let me know if it gets returned to you for any reason. Thanks....Heather

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll keep my eye out for you Heather, but it's been sent out and hasn't returned to me

• sandyteach
    15 years ago

Thanks Kenny,

You're a dear! With this gorgeous weather we are now enjoying and the seeds that you have sent, it really is like heaven on earth. Glory be to God!

Sandy

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny,

My envelope full of seeds arrived today. Thanks so much for coordinating. Looks like a nice collection of different seeds. It's going to take a while to sort through and I can't wait to roll up my sleeves over a nice glass of wine (it's still snowing outside, so wine sounds like a reasonable thing to do).

You gotta love Canada Post. It took them 10 business days to deliver an envelope when their service standard is 4. I'm just so thrilled it showed up. I thought for sure it was lost.

Thanks so much for all of your hard work.

....Heather

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Has everyone gotten their seeds yet?

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz
More Discussions