Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Wanted: Ramps (Allium tricoccum) or wild Leek

Posted by nBoer 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 9:07

Hello. I am in the GTA and looking for Ramps (Allium tricoccum) to start my own small patch. I have lots of other edibles to trade.

n'Boer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Wanted: Ramps (Allium tricoccum) or wild Leek

St. Lawrence Market had them last year when they were in season in early spring. I bought a couple to plant... we'll see if they made it soon.

The produce store right near the Front St. entrance near Church St. is where I found them last year for $2-3 a bunch.

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 16:14

Would like to find some too...and sunchokes.
If you find any, would you mind posting here? I'll do the same.
Thnx. Rina

o

Rina,

I pulled up my sunchokes, but they tough to get rid of and I am sure I get a few come up this year. I bought mine at whole foods and seem them at Hyland farms. Usually labelled Jerusalem artichokes. They really did cause me to have bad gas issues ;-) but I did find them quiet nice in the garden. They really spread fast .

I will post again if I find ramps anywhere!
'nBoer

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 19:39

'nBoer

Thanks for the tip, I read that about them (J. artichokes), and apparently one has to get 'used' to eat them...supposed to be very good for people with diabetes?
I wouldn't mind planting some, will have plenty of space.

Hope we can find ramps.
Rina

o

Well If they come up again this year, I will let you know. I am not willing to risk eating them again :-)

o

Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 15:47

nBoer

lol...but I'll take them if they come up and you don't want them, just let me know.

Thnx. Rina

o

Got them! thanks a a super terrific member of Gardenweb - Shechar, I got a email saying they at St Lawrence market, and so made a dash over and bought them. They now planted and here is to hoping I can get a colony going.
The same store and a couple others had sunchokes including organic

o

Was just at St. Lawrence Market for lunch. They still have plenty of wild leeks if anyone is still looking. If history is any guide, they will only be in stock for a week or two. The big grocery store downstairs has them too, plus fresh Morels (for $50/lb!)

Also made another great find - fresh tumeric root at the organic store in the basement! Won't survive our winter, but I have been interested in seeing how it grows, and shouldn't be too hard to overwinter indoors if it does well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here