Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyk2008

wanted: both trade and wanted...img heavy...

ladyk2008
16 years ago

Hi, there everybody. I have really enjoyed being a part of Garden Web since IÂve joined. I have met some really nice, friendly people and have felt very encouraged by members who have taken the time to answer my questions. I think itÂs safe to say I am a GW addictÂ:-)

I have this new project that I took on two weeks ago and would love some input, advice and opinions good or bad. My son goes to a K-12 school in the village that I live in. I have noticed since he started there that the greenery is in very poor shape/almost non-existent, the best looking plants are silks, the poorest, sparsest plants are real. There are big planters all over the school and I have some great ideas for all of them, but I wanted to know what you think, what you would do if you were me, what things you would choose to plant. I sort of Âvoluntold myself that I was going to do something about this and I did. And I have been really, really enjoying myself so far. The school is reimbursing us for whatever we spend, however I didnÂt want to just go out and buy a bunch of plants from whatever store, and not only that, you have to have money to spend in order to be reimbursed. I wanted variety, some really different types of things for everybody to enjoy. The lighting in each area is different but all three levels (low, med., high) are available to plant in. I ordered the following plant seeds from eBay (only one is for use outside the school-French Lilac) and have already started some other seeds that were given to me by my GW buddies, for placement at the school:

Coleus 'Black Dragon' (Coleus blumei) 50+ SEEDS

Sensitive Plant (Mimosa Pudica) - 50+ SEEDS

Coleus 'Rainbow Mix' (Coleus hybridus) - 200+ SEEDS

Begonia Nonstop Mix (Begonia X tuberhybrida) 25+ SEEDS

French Lilac Tree (Syringa vulgaris) - 50+ SEEDS

Passion Flower 'Purple Granadilla' (Passiflora) 25+SEED

Blue Crown Passion Flower (Passiflora caerulea) 25+SEED

Awesome Sunflower Collection - 10 Varieties:

Italian White

Red Sun

Velvet Queen

Giganteus

Indian Blanket

Giant Double Sun Gold

Auntumn Beauty

Valentine

Mexican Sunflower (Tithonia)

Moonwalker

50+ SEEDS of each variety

Wax Begonia 'Cocktail Mix' (B. semperflorens) 50+ SEEDS

Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) - 50+ SEEDS

I also have my trade list, but what I was wondering is do you think people here on GW will want to trade for these varieties or are these too common? I have already been given permission from the principal to trade some of each variety that I ordered in order to have a larger variety of plants. What do you folks think? As well, what amounts of seed of these types of plants are reasonable for trade? I would like to trade for cuttings or seeds of whatever I just listed as well as for anything that is on my trade list.

Also, if you know of a great source for houseplant type seeds/plants (inexpensive) that youÂve had good experiences with please let me know.

I wanted to share the before pictures with you all so you could see that there is great potential there, as well as planter areas, lighting, space and size. And too, I would like to share as time marches on how it's coming and what develops with it. I wrote a four page letter to the principal this past Monday morning that had all my questions, observations about the plants already there, what could be done, and my ideas in it. As I said I am having fun with this. Schools donÂt have budgets for landscapers/gardeners and I donÂt think the expectation is there for the janitors to be keeping up steadily with all of it, as yes there is a lot. But, I really think it could look beautiful. Any thoughts?

Wish me luck & Happy Gardening...

K

{{gwi:78864}}

{{gwi:78865}}

{{gwi:78866}}

{{gwi:78867}}

{{gwi:78868}}

{{gwi:78871}}

{{gwi:78873}}

{{gwi:78875}}

{{gwi:78877}}

{{gwi:78878}}

{{gwi:78879}}

{{gwi:78880}}

{{gwi:78881}}

{{gwi:78882}}

{{gwi:78883}}

{{gwi:78884}}

{{gwi:78885}}

{{gwi:78886}}

{{gwi:78887}}

Comments (5)

• cziga
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There aren't too many seeds that I would call "too common" as it really depends on the gardener. Some people will need to replace plants for some reason (the plant died, they are moving houses, their dog trampled it, etc), so there are very seeds that would be considered "too common".

That being said, Coleus is a fairly popular seed as are sunflowers . . . lots of members trade passiflora as well . . . so I wouldn't worry about trading, I'm sure you'll find lots of interest.

I'd love to trade for some of your sunflowers, as a matter of fact, specifically: Italian White, Red Sun, Giant Double Sun Gold, Auntumn Beauty. Take a look at my trade page and if you're interested in trading for anything there, shoot me an email :)

• origami_master
    16 years ago

Hi! Good for you to volunteer, we need more people like you willing to volunteer their time! In my opinion, no seeds are useless or too common, because there is always *some* variation of the seedling unless they were grow very carefully. I would be interested in your:

Blue Crown Passion Flower (Passiflora caerulea)
    Passion Flower 'Purple Granadilla'
    Sunflower Velvet Queen

is there anything in particular you are looking for? Perennials, annuals, herbs...? I'll be going out to buy some seeds later tonight, so I'll grab a variety for you. I'll go out again if you really want something I don't have. bless your heart for your initiative!

• ladyk2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, there... I am looking to trade in particular for indoor type plants/seeds/cuttings what have you, I would be more than happy to trade for absolutely anything that will grow indoors.

Origami Master : I posted on here I think a couple of months back, (I can't remember exactly when) and actually my origami sensei, you responded to my post most generously. And I have been eyeballing my dogwood for you to pick out the best cuttings for rooting as well as keeping an eye out for the horseradish I am going to send you. Remember me ;-)? Your name and emails have been saved in my email file folders under 'Garden Web Angels', and I am truly inspired by and thankful for everybody here. Since I have joined GW I have been given, and traded but more so just simply given, more than enough outdoor seeds for my yard, and the landscaping outside the school as well (I am waiting for the principal to stop having a heart attack that someone is actually willing to volunteer for this before I start bugging him about the exterior of the school hee hee!).
    It is more the indoor houseplant seeds or cuttings that I am looking for to cultivate from seeds and/or propagate from cuttings to fill up these planters (hence ordering coleus, ivies, sensitive plants, and the passion flowers). I ordered some of those to peak the kids' interest, some of it is more ground cover as some of the planters are very large, and other ones I wanted for their color and to add a bit of life to the hallways. If you have anything that you'd want to trade that grows indoors I'd be more than willing. The seeds I ordered from eBay should be in early next week, so I will contact you both then if not sooner and maybe post again as well to give you guys an update. Thanks again everybody!!

Happy Gardening!!

K

• newwilly46
    16 years ago

hi sent you an email
    newwilly46

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

Hello K: What you have volunteered for is a very large undertaking, and I experienced something similar in my sons school over ten years ago. I don't know whose idea it was but this is basically how they went about it.

1. In our neighbourhood newsletter, residents were asked to donate any extra plants, cast-offs, extra seedlings they had to the school.

2. The younger children were charged with the responsibility of keeping potted divisions, seedlings, etc. watered until late May.

3. Residents were asked to donate fresh divisions, seedlings,etc. to the school in the last week in May. The school used these plants to make their gardens (indoor and outdoor) and on the last Friday in May, a BBQ and plant sale was held at which the extra plants were sold. It was amazing to see so many people arriving on Friday with cars full of plants they had from divisions etc. which would have otherwise been put in the compost. The money from that sale was then used to purchase shrubs and perennials for the outdoor gardens. Many of the plants in my garden were started from plants I got at these sales - many of them for a quarter or less.

The students helped plant those gardens and it gave them a sense of ownership and pride, and they kept them watered and weeded. Our sense of community kicked in and everyone helped - parents, teachers, neighbours. If you were around at planting time, you were welcome to help. That way, no one felt burdened with the job. You might want to try something like this, so you don't get stressed out with the project. Growing that many plants from seed is a big job, and there are plants to be had from people who always plant too many seedlings (like moi), people who have to divide perennials, and people who grow tropicals which get too big for their homes. You may want to try one of these avenues as well.
    Unfortunately, for the last year, the school was unoccupied (school board politics) and slowly I saw the large garden outside the school get weedy, but the garden is still there, and the flowering shrubs still bloom.

Hope this helps.
    Northerner.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions