Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyssaman

WANTED: Annual Spring Sprinbank Park Plant Swap

nyssaman
14 years ago

Hi Everyone...It has been a couple months since I have been in here...I have gone back a few pages to see if anyone has organized a swap for the London area. I can't see anything, so if no one has organized anything yet, may I propose the Annual Springbank Park Plant Swap....Let the games begin........

Comments (170)

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

okay.....nevermind! LOL
    it really is nice but you will either have to believe me or contact me for a pic....sending in an e-mail....that I can do haha

• bev_w
    13 years ago

GG, here you go:

{{gwi:678626}}

click to open larger image in new tab

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

thanks Bev, I really wish I could get the hang of posting pics.

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

is there something on my list that you would trade for your 'english thyme'?

• bev_w
    13 years ago

GG, I wouldn't mind a hunk of that noid hosta, pictured above.
    I have two kinds of thyme: "Doone Valley" which is a nice, low bi-coloured variety; and a basic Mother-of-Thyme, which grows taller. You can have one of each if you like. LMK.

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

Sure Bev, I will pot you up a hunk and I would love a piece of both the thymes.....thanks! :)

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

I dug it up this afternoon and it was a lot bigger than I thought! Bev, I have a really decent sized one potted up for you.
    I have replanted a big one back in the spot that it was and have planted a smaller one in another spot. I am giving a piece to my daughter (if she wants it) and that still leaves one of a nice size, so there is still one available.

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

Just wanted to post my updated plant list, as some things are now out and I took a couple of things off.

**chives
    **garlic chives
    --three or four small perennial candytuft seedlings (second year(at least))--BEV & GARDENG8
    --one Aruncus aethusifolius (dwarf goatsbeard)-DIDZGARDEN
    --cranesbill-NOID I received this at a swap several years ago and although it has no ID, it is a very nice one that clumps nicely and doesn't get too big-- has nice pink flowers -- one to GARDENG8 AND SIGNET
    --rooted (and potted up) brugmansia cuttings--DIDZGARDEN
    --feverfew
    --betula white birch tree seedling-approx 14-15" tall--LUCKYNES
    --rose of sharon approx 15-18"tall--(1)
    --bergenia--(1)
    --creeping thyme--not sure of the name, but it is the completely flat kind.
    --achillea-cerise queen--few
    --small pot of hosta--NOID--green with thin white edging (not the curly leafed kind)
    --three baby rhubarb plants in one pot-apparently self sown
    --Ivory silk lilac tree seedlings about 2" tall.--SIGNET (couple more available)
    --clustered bellflowers--dark purple--SIGNET--couple more trades available
    --geranium sanguineum
    --pink lily of the valley--CAROL
    --white violets with mauve centre
    --violet--'freckles'
    **hibiscus--red shield-healthy seedling--about 2" tall now--SIGNET AND CAROL (OUT)
    **tomato seedling--vitagold (this is red, not yellow)
    **phlox--tall-pink --BARB
    **phlox--tall-white with pink centre--BARB (OUT)
    **iris--yellow-short(approx 10-12")
    **feverfew
    **tulipa tarda--BARB AND SIGNET (OUT)
    **hosta (medium) recd as a NOIDsee picBEV and one still available
    **hydrangea-annabelleSIGNET and one still available
    **dark ivy-possibly Baltic
    **two small divisions of my hosta Hadspens blueBEV(OUT)
    **small evergreen seedling

• didzgarden
    13 years ago

Hi everyone! Just checking in and reposting my rather sparse trade list. If I promised you something and forgot, please hit me over the head. I don't think I have any trades except with Signet and Greylady Gardener. But if I do, as I said. Please remind me.

Also, Im wondering if I can bring a friend. She's promised to bring something yummy to eat. And I believe she'll have a few things to trade. I hope no one minds. I promise I'll addict her to these boards. *Grins*

OK.. so my trade list.

Peach colour irises. Signet
    Sedum ~ a dark burgundy flower
    Tickseed
    Lupins (WS seedlings, and volunteers)
    Lavender volunteers
    Jacob's Ladder Greylady-Gardener
    Phlox
    Bee Balm
    Hosta (I think it might be earth angel, it *Looks* like that anyway.)
    Echinops Ritro
    Nepita
    Ajuga (Tonnes! Its growing in my grass, and I'd like to rip it out.)
    Evening Primrose
    Berginia
    Chocolate mint

And, does anyone have any idea what this is? It's an ideal ground cover, if you don't mind them a bit taller. (About a foot) Very lush, blooms white little butter cups that sway in the breeze. I have tonnes!

{{gwi:678627}}

• blueiris3
    13 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I'm sad that I can't make it to the swap, I'll miss seeing you. It's always so nice to talk with others who share my passion for gardening and desire to get still more plants!t Bev has kindly agreed to bring my swaps over to my house at the end of the event and my husband Matt will drop of my contributions to swaps at the beginning - is it still an 11am start?

So here goes - I hope it's not too too late to organize a few trades. A lot of what I have on offer is fairly common pass along plants, but there are a few named varieties in the mix. Thanks for looking! I'll post my wishful plants in a second post.

Blues-purples:
    * purple moss phlox
    * mazus reptans - groundcover with lilac flowers
    * black leafed violet
    * royal purple columbine
    * purple veronica/speedwell 'Eveline' 12-20"
    * purple dwarf veronica/speedwell 'Royal Candles' 8-12"
    * Blue Clips bellflower
    * native asters
    * Siberian iris

Pinks-reds:
    * palest pink Canon J Went toadflax
    * hot pink phlox (spring leaves are var. burgundy)
    * dusty rose columbine
    * maiden pinks
    * pale pink lilies (still small - from seed)
    * pale pink yarrow
    * hot pink rose campion
    * scarlet bugler
    * red bee balm
    * orange turban lilies

Yellows:
    * yellow black eyed Susans
    * yellow willow leaf sunflower 4-5 (warning spreads, but divine leaves)
    * yellow hawkweed - as Bev knows I try to sell this one, it's got great burgundy variegated leaves and it blooms it's heart out for well over a month, and often again in the fall, it self seeds but only about a dozen a year for me, and theyre easy to yank

Whites:
    * White Swan Echinacea
    * white armeria alba (2)
    * white Solomons seal
    * white feverfew

Foliage:
    * artemisia "Nana"
    * dark green creeping Jenny
    * chartreuse creeping Jenny
    * lamb's ears
    * giant ferns - 3'+ tall
    * red clover from the Gaspe peninsula
    * burgundy ajuga
    * periwinkle
    * spotted common lungwort (blue flowers in spring)
    * Autumn Joy sedum
    * fernbush
    * saltbush
    * santolina
    * downy wood mint

Edibles:
    * French tarragon
    * oregano
    * nodding onion
    * garlic chives
    * English mint 3 tall

Shrub:
    * rose of Sharon

Winter sown seedlings:
    * double white columbine
    * red/yellow Canadian columbine seedlings
    * orange/mix wallflowers
    * scarlet gillia/ ipomopsis/
    * sky blue penstemon
    * blue peach leaved bellflower
    * red/white sweet William

• blueiris3
    13 years ago

Hello all!

I have so missed all the trading back and forth, it's so much part of my spring, sharing plants and garden talk. I have to shift my back yard east side as we raise that bed, and vacate the thankfully sparsely planted west side to make room for a new garage. This made me think swapping might be a bad idea this year - moving things twice or more sounded like too much work. However there is a fair bit of space out front that has opened up since we had to tear out the front 3 metres last year because of water/road works. As you'll see I've been happily scanning the posts so far for possible trades, but I've no doubt missed some of what's already been traded. So please forgive me if I'm asking for something that's already taken. I know it's really late to be starting this, but I hope you'll understand. I'm mainly looking for 20" or higher plants, or thymes to go in a gravel/stone patio. Thanks so much for considering me for trades :-)

Hi Gardeng8/Carol: Do you have any more of either the purple monkshood or the variegated Solomon's seal? I think you may have traded these already, but I live in hope. Is there anything of mine that you would like for them or your red Stella daylily, flowering almond cutting, or double leucanthemum?

Hey greylady-gardener/Lois, I'm really hoping that I have something you like, the clematis 'prairie traveller's joy' sounds perfect for screening the neighbours porch next to the gravel driveway which will keep it in check, or for your 'annabelle' hydrangea, phlox tall white with pink centre, iris yellow short, or creeping thyme. I have some of the lamium with pink flowers that you were looking for earlier.

Hi Barb from London, do you still have some of the Hydrangea quercifolia - Oak-Leaved Hydrangea, or the native wood poppy? Hopefully I have something of interest to you!

Great talking with you Bev, thanks for the thyme and other things we discussed, if you find stuff on my list I'd also love some of your: Phlox divaricata woodland purple, and Nepeta subsellis (for my aunt Marilyn)

Greetings didzgarden! I'd love some of your tickseed, phlox (what colour is it?) and your geranium clarkei if it is white if something in my list tempts you?

Hi capehlke/Chris, the Monkshood that I received from you other years is doing great, but it's so lovely that I'm hoping for more! I'd also like some of your phlox if you like some things from my list.

Hello lyckynes13 Nes, I think we've met on the Full Circle and OntarioGardenPost groups a few times! (I go by 'senonce' on those sites). I'd love some of your English thyme - I have a couple things that you were looking for earlier: French tarragon & mint.

Hey Nyssaman/Jeff how goes? I was so worried about the upheavals in the backyard that I didn't start any annual salvias from seed - do you by chance have any scheduled for the gambler's circle? Or for that matter any Impomea quamoclit Red Cypress vine or Ipomoea - Purple Shibori Flaked? Hope I have something that tickles your fancy!

Thanks again for reading these really long posts, and considering trading with me.

Happy long weekend gardening - and hopefully sipping favourite beverages.
    Heather / blueiris3

• barb_from_london
    13 years ago

Hi blueiris,

Just wanted to make sure you realize - the Hydrangea quercifolia is seed, not a plant (yet!) - I would be glad to trade the seed and a wood poppy for either a pink phlox or a fern.

Thanks!

• flowergirl_on
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, I'll be there this year again. I'm starting this late but here it goes:

Daylily 'Frans Hals'
    Daylily 'Autumn Red'
    Campanula 'Blue Clips'
    Gloriosa Daisy
    Echinacea purpurea
    Pink Bleeding Heart
    Peony, bright pink
    Speedwell/Veronica, blue
    Leopard's Bane
    Red Bee Balm
    Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine
    Hosta 'Blue Cadet'
    Red currant (40 cm)(1)
    Crab apple (50 cm) (1)
    Rose of Sharon, white with burgundy center (10 - 20 cm) (3)
    Aquilegia vulgaris, purple (1)
    LA Hybrid Lily 'Iceberg', small bulbs
    Chives
    Fall aster, purple (NOID at this point, but looks similar to 'Wood's Purple')...When I bought this plant, the name tag said aster tongolensis 'Star of Wartburg' but I just googled it today first time after all these years I've had it, and it is definitely not that. Some of you have traded this with me...I'm very sorry for the wrong name I have given, even if it was unintentional. I hate when this happens. Everyone concerned feel free to pick something else in its place to rectify the mistake.

Merja

• bev_w
    13 years ago

Merja: I'd love a bulb or two of your "Iceberg" lily. Do you like anything from my list?

Didz: That looks like Sweet Woodruff / Gallium Odoratum. Blooming now in my garden.

- Bev

• blueiris3
    13 years ago

Hi Barb, Oops - I had forgotten that it was a seed, I'd still like it though! I've set aside a pink phlox and a fern for you.

I'm adding some Achillea 'The Pearl' to my list of available trades. I got a piece from Signet a few years back. It has lovely double white flowers - a lot like feverfew on steroids, it blooms for months, but it is trying to take over the universe!

• blueiris3
    13 years ago

Hi Merja, if there is something you like on my list I'd also love a bulb or two of the "Iceberg" lily.

• didzgarden
    13 years ago

Heather,

Im second guessing the name of the Geranium Clarkei. It's the picture I posted up above. I don't think that's geranium. Bev suggested it might be woodruff, but in looking at the description online, Im not sure that's it either. I'll bring whatever it is to the swap. Identified or not, I've certainly got a lot of it. Its yours if you still want some.

But definitely the tickseed. I'll pot some up for you when this rain stops. The phlox is the typical hot pink one. Nothing fancy, but all yours.

I'd love the mazus reptans, and the red bee balm if thats OK.

• didzgarden
    13 years ago

Id love some of your pink bleeding heart, and bright pink peony.

Anything from my ~ rather limited ~ list you'd like in trade?

• didzgarden
    13 years ago

Did a quick update. Im hoping to have a better update after this weekend. If this rain stops and I can get out there and do some gardening!

Tickseed Blueiris3
    Lupins (WS seedlings, and volunteers)
    Lavender volunteers
    Phlox Blueiris3
    Bee Balm Pink
    Hosta (I think it might be earth angel, it *Looks* like that anyway.)
    Echinops Ritro
    Nepita
    Green Hellebore (two)
    Mystery Plant Blueiris3

• flowergirl_on
    13 years ago

Bev: I'll bring 5 small bulbs of 'Iceberg' lily for you. I would love some eremurus volunteers, if ok.

Blueiris: I'll bring 5 small bulbs of'Iceberg' lily for you also. What kind of Siberian iris do you have? Does it have a big flower or is it small flowered older variety? And is orange turban lily different than my orange Tiger lily (lilium lancifolium, I believe it is)?

Didzgarden: I will bring pink Bleeding Heart and peony for you. I would like to have your hosta (maybe 'Earth Angel'), maybe couble pieces of it, if ok.

• blueiris3
    13 years ago

Hello!

Didzgarden - could I change from mystery plant to a Lupin seedling? I've set aside the mazus reptans, and the red bee balm for you!

Merja - I'm trying to ID the turban lily, I seem to have two kinds both with fuzzy stems - the smaller one has opposite leaves, the much taller other one (3'+ already) has the starburst pattern of leaves like an asiatic lily, with a much thicker stem, and it gets black berries below the leaves later in the year. My Siberian iris is the fairly common one with small intensely blue flowers. I hope these are interesting to you.

• signet_gw(6b)
    13 years ago

Hi all,

First let me say a huge thanks to Greylady for babsitting Barbfromlondon's plants and offering to deliver them to the swap for me . I really appreciate it . I have to add a trillium to Barb's requested plants though ( got that message after I got home on Tuesday)

Second , Greylady , I came home on Tuesday and discovered your Jerusalem Artichoke sitting by the edge of the driveway :?* Hopefully you will come for a visit and can get it then , if not I have it potted and will try to get it to you asap after the wedding .

Thirdly Ditzgarden...I would love to trade for a couple of other items if possible .....some of your Lupins please . Color doesnt matter . I LOVE LUPINS ...comes from when I lived in Newfoundland as a kid . I am also interested in your hosta "Earth Angel" Hope we can work something out . A hellebore would be nice too as the one I got last year didnt make it .

By the way , your plant picture looks like a crosswort to me . Not sure of the particular cultivar name but the leaves definitely look like crosswort.

Blueiris . Just an aside , does your black leafed violet look like this ?
    http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/v%20-%20z/images/viola_labrodorica_purpurea.JPG
    Then I believe it to be a Labrador violet and I am not sure but you may have gotten it from me at a previous swap.

Also wondering , did the Monkshood I gave you when you and your hubby visited not survive ? let me know , I can replace it if you like .

It is unfortunate that you are having to do your gardens all over they were so pretty ..whew ! what a big job but with a new street, a new garage and new gardens....wow! and if your garden gate is any indication (gorgeous work done by your hubby by the way ) your garage and gardens will be totally lovely when finished ...

Signet

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

Well Heather/blueiris I am happy to see you here. I was a 'bit' concerned about you after hearing from you and then finding that you weren't coming. Glad that you are okay and wanting to do some trading. :) but will miss seeing you and chatting :)
    I can pot up some clematis PTJ, annabelle hydrangea, short yellow iris and creeping thyme for you, but I am afraid that the tall white phlox with the pink eye is spoken for as I only had one. (sorry)
    Would you be willing to trade your:
    --purple veronica/speedwell 'Eveline' 12-20"
    --purple dwarf veronica/speedwell 'Royal Candles' 8-12"
    --white armeria alba
    --red/yellow Canadian columbine seedlings (funny thing about you having these--I was out walking the dogs this afternoon and saw them at a neighbour's at Pt. Franks and said to my DH that I loved them and wished that I had some :))--anyway let me know if this is okay with you for a trade.

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

Hi Heather, I think you must have potted up the Jeruselum artichoke for someone else. :) I was however missing one thing so will send you an e-mail

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

sorry forgot to thank you for the offer of the pink lamium, but I did get some from signet. Is yours' the very light pink one? ...or the darker purplish flowered one?
    I got the light pink one from signet but I would like to also find the purple one....think it is called something with red in the name even though it is definitely not red.
    could send you an pic in an e-mail if you are not sure. :)
    gg

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

gald to see that you are coming :)
    Is the NOID aster a shorter one like the wood's purple? If it is then do you see anything on my list that you would take for some?

• blueiris3
    13 years ago

Hi Signet! Yes, that's just what the black leafed violet looks like, but I just got it from a neighbour up the street. Great to know that it's a Labrador violet. The monkshood you gave me is doing great - even rallying after transplanting the first time to make way for the new half of the east fence, hopefully it'll do just as well when we move it again as we raise the bed up a foot!! I just love the look of monkshood so much that I'm hoping to get even more - it's hard to find blues/purples that late in the season. Does anyone have any suggestions for a white or pale yellow plant to put next to it for contrast? It's a big year for upheaval in my gardens, but the new fence looks fabulous, and the new garage will be a huge improvement over the original! My DH does lovely work - my birthday present is a gorgeous one of a kind music/cello stand made with three different kinds of wood.

Hi Greylady-gardener! All those trades sound great to me, glad to provide you with the Canadian columbine that you were lusting after! No problem about the phlox, I came late to the trades... I have a tiny piece of the purple flowered lamium, if it survives and multiplies this year I'll set some aside for you next year - it got trompled on during the fence building :-(

• didzgarden
    13 years ago

Not a problem with the lupins. I wintersow some every year. There's something so 'happy' about them! Im in love too. Got them set aside for you.

And.. *Sheepish* you have Jerusalem Artichoke?! *Grins* It wasn't me you potted him up for. But if have any others.. you know.. just kicking around... I'd *love* one. I've always wanted to try it. Is it really all that invasive? I heard it's best to keep it in a container.

Re: Crosswort. I don't know.. I looked online, and that doesn't seem to be it either! *Shakes head* It really is a mystery plant!

Hosta and Hellebore added to yours. :o)

• flowergirl_on
    13 years ago

GRAYLADY-GARDENER: Thank you, GG. :) My aster grows abut 50 cm tall, so I guess it is not Wood's Purple since it seems to be shorter. Flower is similar.

BLUEIRIS: I think I have both the Siberian iris and orange turban lily. Could I get Canadian columbine seedlings instead?

Merja

• bev_w
    13 years ago

Hi Merja, Just confirming the lily bulbs for some Eremurus volunteers. Thanks!

Also, there was a question about Crosswort. I'm growing Phuopsis stylosa, which goes by the common name of Crosswort. I'd have to print your photo and go out and compare-- the resemblance isn't jumping out at me. It is not invasive-- not even aggressive. I have it in a "difficult" spot, though. It's a good ground cover but it is certainly unpleasant to touch-- kinda "scratchy". By the end of the summer it looks pretty ragged-- it melts out in the heat a bit.

• signet_gw(6b)
    13 years ago

Hi Ditzgarden ,

Thanks so much , and yes , I will set aside the Jerusalem artichoke for you . Can you send me a copy of the pic of your mystery plant please. Curiousity has grabbed hold of me .

Blueiris .....ooh you are soooo lucky ....what a wonderful gift your cello stand must be . I used to play cello when I was a very small kid ( in school) well tried to . LOL !

Oh by the way I have some white with pink centered phlox . I will set some aside for you and try to get it to you over the next little while if you like ...no trade necessary it needs to be divided anyway . As for a yellow plant to grow beside the monk's hood my best suggestion would be a very late blooming daylily .

Flowergirl (Merja) sorry I will miss chatting with you this year . You should come out mid July to see the dayliies in bloom ! The Icecap you traded me has increased really well. Cant wait to see it bloom this year .

Signet

• nyssaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sun May 30th ....looks like it could be wet....things could change though as it stands....Environment Canada has Sunday being hot & sunny high of 26...The Weather Network has Sunday Wet, 60% cloudy with showers high 21...lol...how is this possible? Are they not all looking at the same maps and data?

• didzgarden
    13 years ago

You're very kind in helping me out. I know I can bring this to the swap and you'll all know right away what this is.

"Oh silly girl. That's a Dandylion!" *laughs*

But it's nice to try to figure it out. Never know.. it might be something some of you would want! (Does anyone want dandylions? I have quite a few.. *Grins*)

I took some more photos. The plant as it grows. Compared to my hand, and a leaf on its own. I really like it, whatever it is. It doesn't hurt to handle, and holds in quite well through the summer.

Thanks for your help!

{{gwi:678628}}

{{gwi:678629}}

{{gwi:678630}}

• capehlke
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I'm reposting/updating my list. Also my sister Marion is again going to be coming. Her list is below. Let me know if you're interested on anything on her list and I'll let her know as well.

MY LIST
    -Raspberries (spring and fall crop variety)
    -strawberries (spring crop)
    -Rose of Sharon (blue about 18" tall)
    -Monkshood (blue)
    -various Hostas
    -white phlox
    -evening primrose (yellow)
    -Peony - Edulis Superbra
    -Peony - Aerie (more blush pink than white)
    -Perennnial Orchid (not sure of true name: grows about 4-5' tall semi shade, sun, self seeds, pink orchid flowers)
    -small Japanese Quince sucker/cutting

MARION'S LIST
    -Tulip Tree Seedlings x2
    -Diablo Ninebark
    -Raspberries (Everbearing Heritage)
    -Jerusalem Artichoke
    -climbing hydrangea seedlings/volunteers
    -varigated Vinca
    -Lamium Shell Pink
    -Caryopteris (Bluebeard)
    -Chelone obliqua (Pink Turtlehead)
    -Helleborus - purlple lady series - volunteers/seedlings
    -White Bleeding Heart (2 -two year old seedlings)
    -Rudbeckia (Black Eye Susan)
    -Corydalis Lutea - yellow
    -narcissus (Original Poet's Daffodil)
    -Allium - Purple Sensation
    -Peony -NOID - early red double flowers
    -Black Current (Crandall)
    -Thalictirum Delavayi (Hewitt's Devil Metal Rue)
    -Shasta Daisy (Alaska)
    -Liatris seedlings/volunteers (Purple)

TRADES CONFIRMED (I think? - please let me know if I've missed something)
    -From Bev: Eremurus (foxtail lily) volunteers (small). No Trade to recieve.
    -Barb_from_London: Musa zebrina for raspberry
    -Luckynes13: Big Yellow stripped Hosta & Peony E.Suprbra for Goji Berry and yellow pear tomato.
    -Jeff (Nyssaman): Peony Edulis Superbra for Himalayan Blue Poppy or?? Gaillardia "Orange & Lemons"
    -Signet: Perrennial Orchid; no trade needed.

NEW TRADES
    -Blue Iris (Heather) Yes, I can give you more Monkshood and white phlox. I'd be interested in the hot pink varigated phlox and the Giant Fern you have. Also, you asked about ideas to pair with your blue Monkshood that would contrast - why not another color of Monkshood since you know it grows well in that spot - Pink and White are available. (My pink one is tiny now but in a few years I might be able to split some of it off)

-Varigated Solomon's Seal... Did someone have this to trade? I thought I remembered seeing it but can't find it now.

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

Would there be anything on my list (somewhere above) that Marion would take for:
    **Helleborus - purple lady series - volunteers/seedlings
    **White Bleeding Heart (2 -two year old seedlings)

also adding to my list:

**one pot siberian iris
    **one asclepias incarnata--'milkmaid'-WS last year and about 10" tall right now.
    gg

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

your plant is really nice, especially with the bergenia coming up through.

You might end up having to post over on the 'name that plant' forum. I am very interested to know what it is! lol!

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

forgot that I also have a small HOS of some red cinquefoil that was WS from some seeds that I received in a swap.

• bev_w
    13 years ago

It just has to be a Japanese anemone. Mine is blooming now and the flower and foliage are pretty much identical.

• didzgarden
    13 years ago

Thats It!!! Thank you! I don't think it is a Japanese one, only because I looked that up, and nothing showing fit. But then I just looked up anemone, and up popped my elusive little friend.

Anemone canadensis. Apparently quite common.

OK. So I have Anemone canadensis to swap as well. *Grins*

Bev do you want some as prize?! *Laughs*

Thank you. Play again next week.. when I try to stump you with Queen Anne's Lace. *Grins*

• didzgarden
    13 years ago

So here's my updated list. Including the name of the mystery plant. Thanks everyone for your help.

Tickseed Blueiris3
    Lupins (WS seedlings, and volunteers) Signet Blueiris3
    Lavender volunteers
    Phlox Blueiris3
    Bee Balm Pink
    Hosta (I think it might be earth angel, it *Looks* like that anyway.)flowergirl on Signet
    Echinops Ritro
    Nepita
    Green Hellebore (two) Signet
    Tickseed Blueiris3
    Lupins (WS seedlings, and volunteers) Signet Blueiris3
    Lavender volunteers
    Phlox Blueiris3
    Bee Balm Pink
    Hosta (I think it might be earth angel, it *Looks* like that anyway.)flowergirl on Signet
    Echinops Ritro
    Nepita
    Green Hellebore (two) Signet
    Anemone canadensis
    Ribbon Grass

• flowergirl_on
    13 years ago

I have 2 additions:

*Siberian iris 'White Swirl' (2)
    *Walking onion

Daylily 'Frans Hals'
    Daylily 'Autumn Red'
    Campanula 'Blue Clips'
    Gloriosa Daisy
    Echinacea purpurea
    Pink Bleeding Heart
    Peony, bright pink
    Speedwell/Veronica, blue
    Leopard's Bane
    Red Bee Balm
    Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine
    Hosta 'Blue Cadet'
    Red currant (40 cm)(1)
    Crab apple (50 cm) (1)
    Rose of Sharon, white with burgundy center (10 - 20 cm) (3)
    Aquilegia vulgaris, purple (1)
    LA Hybrid Lily 'Iceberg', small bulbs
    Chives
    Fall aster, purple

Merja

• didzgarden
    13 years ago

Oh Merja, is there anything I could trade you for some walking onion? I was just eyeing those in a gardening book today...

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

I would still like the asters...they are so pretty...is there something you would take from my list?

• flowergirl_on
    13 years ago

DIDZGARDEN: I'll bring walking onions for you. Would you know if you have any purple lupin seedlings or any other colour than pink for that matter? I have only pink ones.

GRAYLADY-GARDENER: I will bring purple fall aster for you. What kind of Siberian iris do you have?

GARDENG8/CAROL: I am interested in your variegated kalimeris incisa, blue pincushion, variegated Solomon's Seal and Lime Rickey heuchera if you like anything on my list.

CAPEHLKE: I would love to have your peony 'Aerie' and perennial orchid if anything interests you on my list. By the way the pink peony I got from few years ago is one of my favourite peonies. (Gardeng8/Carol is one with variegated Solomon's Seal.)

MARION: I'd be interested in your Helleborus - Purple Lady series, if you like anything on my list.

BARB FROM LONDON: I'd be interested in your stylophorym diphyllum (yellow wood poppy) if you like anything on my list.

LUCKYNES: I see you are looking for currants. I have a red currant if you are interested in trading. Well, I only have red currant bushes...it should be that unless birds brought me a present from a neighbour.

SIGNET: I know, I'm sorry you miss the swap this year...well being there in person. I might just come and see you and your daylilies after mid July. Your garden must be just beautiful then. Good luck with the wedding!

Merja

• blueiris3
    13 years ago

Hi Merja,

I have set aside some Canadian columbine seedlings for you! Thanks for the trade of some Iceberg lily bulbs.

Heather

• blueiris3
    13 years ago

Hello all,

Hooray - the mystery plant is ID'ed!

Here's my round-up of trades so far, if I've missed something please let me know, I need to get busy potting up tomorrow.

* Barb from London: your Hydrangea quercifolia SEEDS & native wood poppy, for my: pink phlox & fern

* Bev: your Phlox divaricata, Nepeta subsellis & thyme for?? what can I send your way?

* capehlke - Chris: your Monkshood & white phlox, for my: hot pink var. phlox, & giant fern
    Chris - Please ask Marion if I have anything that she would like for some of her noid Peony? (early red double flowers)

* didzgarden: your Tickseed, Lupines, Phlox, for my: mazus reptans & bee balm & what else would you like - I owe you another plant!! or would you like more of one of these?

* Flowergirl_on Merja: your Iceberg lily bulbs for my Canadian columbine seedlings

* Gardeng8 Carol: your monkshood, red Stella daylily, flowering almond cutting, var. Solomon's seal, & double leucanthemum, for my: P. moss phlox, mazus reptans, r. purple columbine, d. white columbine (seedlings), & sky blue penstemon (seedlings)

* greylady-gardener Lois: your clematis 'prairie traveller's joy', annabelle hydrangea, short yellow iris & creeping thyme, for my: both purple veronicas (eveline & royal candles), white armeria, & Canadian columbine seedlings

Thanks everyone for the trades!! I'm sad to miss this chance to chat with you all, but really glad that I got to arrange some trades anyhow. I'm so looking forward to adding more neat stuff to my flower beds. You are all welcome anytime to see my gardens, just email me a heads up & I'll have the lemonade ready!

Signet - Thanks so much for the white with pink center phlox! Phlox puts up with my tough midday sun and shade at both ends of the day, so I'm running with it.

• barb_from_london
    13 years ago

Didzgarden, your plant is certainly an anemone, but probably Anemone canadensis, a native wildflower. It can be quite an aggressive grower, so it's a good groundcover under trees and other difficult places, but be careful if it's close to less vigorous plants, as it can swamp them in a few years.

Merja, how about your Siberian iris White Swirl for the wood poppy?

capehlke, I'm happy to tell you the Musa is sending up new growth, as you thought it would.

By the way, could someone tell me the best way to find "the usual spot" at Springbank? Every year I come late and just drive until I see everyone sitting around surrounded by plants.... So a refresher on how to find it without these clues would be of some benefit.

Thanks!

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

Hey Barb, it is easy to find if you are coming in the 'Storybook gardens entrance' (off commissioners), then turn left at the stop sign and it is just a short distance to the stone cottage on your left.
    hope that makes sense but if not then maybe someone else will explain it better. :)

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

I believe the siberian iris are the purple ones. I was given four pots last year and I just don't have a home for this one.
    let me know if you are interested :)

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

re-posting my list to make it easier to find. Please let me know if I haven't marked something for you that we have traded for. It is starting to get to that stage where the brain is on overload :)

chives
    garlic chives
    small hosta--I believe it is one called 'gold edger'
    perennial candytuft seedlings (second year)--BEV & GARDENG8
    one Aruncus aethusifolius (dwarf goatsbeard)-grows 8-12" tall--DIDZGARDEN
    cranesbill-NOID I received this at a swap several years ago and although it has no ID, it is a very nice one that clumps nicely and doesn't get too big-- has nice pink flowers -- one to GARDENG8 AND SIGNET
    rooted (and potted up) brugmansia cuttings--DIDZGARDEN
    feverfew
    betula white birch tree seedling-LUCKYNES
    rose of sharon approx 15-18"tall--(1)
    creeping thyme--not sure of the name, but it is the completely flat kind.-BLUEIRIS
    achillea-cerise queen--few
    small pot of hosta--NOID (green with thin white edging)
    three baby rhubarb plants in one pot-apparently self sown
    Ivory silk lilac tree seedlings about 2" tall.--pot to SIGNET (couple more available)
    clustered bellflowers--dark purple-- SIGNET
    geranium sanguineum
    pink lily of the valley--CAROL
    white violets with mauve centre
    violet--'freckles'
    hibiscus--red shield-healthy seedling--SIGNET AND CAROL(OUT)
    tomato seedling--vitagold (this is red..not yellow)
    phlox--tall-pink BARB (OUT)
    phlox--tall-white with pink centre--BARB (OUT)
    iris--yellow-short(approx 10-12")--BLUEIRIS
    feverfew
    tulipa tarda--BARB AND SIGNET (OUT)
    hosta (medium) recd as a NOIDsee pic aboveBEV and one still available
    hydrangea-annabelleSIGNET & BLUEIRIS
    dark ivy-possibly Baltic
    small evergreen seedling
    clematis prairie travellers joy(AGGRESSOVE)SIGNET & BLUEIRIS
    cinquefoil-redWSsmall HOS
    asclepias incarnata--milkmaid
    siberan iris--probably purple
    hosta-hadspens blueBEV (OUT)