Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greylady_gardener

WANTED: Annual Springbank Swap! :-)

greylady_gardener
10 years ago

It seems a bit early, but in looking back at last year, this is about right, sooooo..........let's jump in!! :-)

If we decide on a date for the beginning of June, then that is only about seven weeks away which will give lots of time to get out in the garden to see what we have to swap.

Saturday worked out really nicely last year, so how is that for this year? June 1 or June 8 are two suggestions ONLY.
Please jump in with any other suggestions. We want this to work for as many as possible. :-)

I hope that everyone can make it and also try to bring a friend....the more the merrier!! gardeng8/Carol, I hope that you can make it and bring your friend Olivia again this year.

Well.....the ball is rolling....who's in???
:-)

Comments (153)

• blueiris3
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello all,

Here is my list of seedlings as promised. Maybe this will heat up the trades a bit! Ross - I still owe you two and Merja I owe you many!!

3 agastache cana (purple)
    3 balsam (probably red)
    1 green castor bean plants
    4 burgundy castor beans
    3 dahlia Bishop's Children surprise colour from seed 4-5" stocky now
    5 Malva probably Bibor Felho purple
    6 Nicotiana possibly Mutabilis (in pots with about 10 per - still tiny)
    2 Tithonia yellow Aztec Sun Mexican sunflower (about 3'x3' late season flowers)
    2 Tithonia Orange Goldfinger Mexican sunflower (about 3'x3' late season flowers)
    3 Salvia Coccinea Texas Red
    10 Salvia c. Snow Nymph
    10 Salvia c. Coral Nymph
    2 S. splendens Yvonne's salvia
    3 Statice QIS White
    3 Statice QIS Lavender

possibly if they perk up 6 Salpiglossis Kew Blue

Exotic Vegetable:
    1 Winged Asparagus Pea

Anyone want a cup plant? they looked really sad for my sale but have put up new leaves and look great now...

• blueiris3
    10 years ago

Hi Carol,

I'm sorry, there just isn't enough of Penstemon Dark Tower for a third division, is there something else on my list that you would like? if not I'll pass on the alliums.
    I'll pot up the mystery coloured foxglove directly. We just got 2.5 mm of rain, welcome, but not nearly enough. 11 days and counting since we got 6mm, 22 days since we got just over 10mm, must be the driest May on record. Everything is blooming all at once, causing no end of allergies, and very strange juxtapositions, black tulips with orange annual poppies... Hope you are getting more rain where you are.

P.S. I've updated my main list above with all my outgoing trades so far, and added an amsonia/blue star plant, it's just not showy enough for me - pale blue flowers right now and goes chartreuse in the fall.

• blueiris3
    10 years ago

I hear you, I used to check my email every half hour for fear of missing out on a treasure, but without Signet trading a hundred plus plants, and with the new edit feature, things really aren't the same...

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Heather, Just a quick look at your list again and wonder if there is anything on my list you would trade for an ech.-double-decker and Nicotiana possibly Mutabilis.

Hi Ross, Do I have anything that you would trade for a hyacinth bean or two? I had five seeds and planted them after soaking them and nothing has come up.......I did find a couple on top of the soil and looking kind of rotted. :-( I wanted them climbing the trellis at the corner of my sunroom.

I have added a nice healthy grape vine to my list.

• blueiris3
    10 years ago

Hi again Carol: do any of my seedlings interest you for your veronica-'hocus pocus' ?

Lois: I'd gladly trade two rooted rose cuttings for E. double decker and a pot of mystery~mutabilis nicotiana! Maybe I'll get lucky and get one of bonica and one of a red climber :-)

Yeay! more trades!
    H.

• rosco_p
    10 years ago

Blueiris: You mentioned that you owed me a trade? If you have one of the white Salvia Snow Nymph that will be great. Thanks. Ross

Greylady: I will set aside a couple of Purple Hyacinth bean plants for you. White Scabiosa in trade if available would be great. Thanks. Ross.

• flowergirl_on
    10 years ago

Hi BLUEIRIS,

I would like: agastache cana (purple), dahlia Bishop's Children, Salvia Coccinea Texas Red and Salvia c. Coral Nymph if ok.

Hi BARB, sorry to hear that you can't make it. Maybe next year we have to think about having it on Sunday again for a change...but a little later because Ross has other plans on Sunday mornings if I remember correctly. Or maybe a long weekend Monday...would be a little early for some seedlings maybe but less people might have work and other stuff going on...unless you are a camper. Just thoughts. :)

• blueiris3
    10 years ago

Hi Ross,

I think I owe you two trades:
    one snow nymph salvia for the sweet william,
    and another for the red lupine...
    would you like a second snow nymph salvia? or something else?

Thanks, BlueIris3

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Heather! Looking forward to the ech. double-decker and the nicotiana. I will put your name on the rose cuttings.

Thank you Ross for the hyacinth beans. I will set the white scabiosa aside for you.....what else would you like?

• rosco_p
    10 years ago

Heather: You mentioned a trade for a Red Lupine above?? Are you referring to the Red Dahlia? as I don't have you down for a red Lupine although I could have missed something? (please see note to Carol below)

Carol: Now I am also going to have to disappoint you in that I have only 1 Red Lupine seedling left from a dozen and it is not looking good. So Carol if you read this please see if there is anything else on my list that would be of interest to you for the Raspberry Iris and if not then we will have to forfeit that trade for the time being. If this trade ends up going forward and the Red Lupine does survive, I will bring it along also but at this point it is hanging on for dear life and its fingernails are turning blue. Sorry. Ross.

I have added a couple of items to my list today including Heavenly Blue Morning Glory, Sweet Basil and Feverfew

• flowergirl_on
    10 years ago

I added a few things on my list.

LOIS: I was wondering what kind of peony it is that you have available? Colour...?

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Merja, the peony is a small root and is a shell/medium pink, if I remember right.
    Like I said, the small tuber came up when I was trying to break off the dead stalks. :-) I potted it up and it is growing quite nicely.

• rosco_p
    10 years ago

Merja: I was somewhat interested in a Caryopteris seedling if still available? Please check out my list for anything that may be of interest to you including a couple of recent additions: Feverfew Sweet Basil and Heavenly Blue Morning Glory.Thanks. Ross.

• flowergirl_on
    10 years ago

Ross: I would like to get sweet basil for caryopteris, please and thank you.

• mandyy12
    10 years ago

Hi folks. A short note to say we will not be able to attend this years swap. Sorry & we will miss the group.

Bill

• rosco_p
    10 years ago

MERJA: I will set aside some Sweet Basil for you. Thanks for the Caryopteris trade. Ross.

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry you won't be at the swap Bill1..............Maybe next time!! :-)

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gardeng8, do you have any veronica-'hocus pocus' left?

flowergirl, is your Agastache 'Honey Bee Blue' still available?

blueiris3, is your physostegia virginiana Royal purple obedient still available?

rosco, do you have the Hellebore(seedlings) available?

If anything is available, please let me know if I have anything that is a fair trade.

I have made a couple of additions to my list. :-)

• flowergirl_on
    10 years ago

Hi Lois,
    I would be interested in your heuchera 'Hercules' if ok for a Agastache 'Honey Bee Blue', let me know, please. Thank you.

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will set the heuchera 'Hercules' aside for the agastache 'Honey Bee blue'

thanks! :-)

• rosco_p
    10 years ago

Gardeng8: I will set aside a couple of Heavenly blue Morning Glories for you. Thanks. Ross. (so far they are doing good!!)

Greylady: If you have a Vera Jameson sedum cutting in exchange for the Hellebore Seedlings...that would be great. thanks. Ross.

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will set aside Vera Jamieson for you in ex for the hellebore
    thanks! :-)
    (I know they root very well and fairly quickly so I hope they are well on their way by next Saturday.)

• blueiris3
    10 years ago

Hi Gardeng8 - a pair of red Texas salvia coccinea are set aside for you. Is there anything in my list that would interest you for the Korean lilac? I think I got one from you last year & would love another - it's gorgeous!

Hi Greylady - I'll cheerfully dig up some Royal Purple Obedient Plant in exchange for a piece of Vera Jamieson Sedum!!

Good to see the trades heating up! I sure hope I can get as much done in the garden tomorrow as today... Or at least that I can move without too much difficulty!

G'night all!!

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Heather! Vera Jamieson cuttings for royal purple obedient plant.. :-)

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

good morning Carol. Please don't try and take another piece of your veronica hocus pocus!! :-)
    I do not want you to compromise your plant.....maybe another year when it is growing a bit more and needs dividing. :-)

how about your iris 'rare edition' for the astrantia RW instead?

• blueiris3
    10 years ago

Hello G & G - thanks for the trades!!

Merja - anything left on my list that you would like for a L.A. Hybrid 'Iceberg', I think I got one from you before, but the label has gone and I'd like to re-identify it!

Does anyone have any tall bi-colour, white or yellow columbine they would care to trade?

Anyone want some hot pink tulips ? (They were supposed to be red - from civic garden sale...) , or a mystery colour hardy chrysanthemum?

Thanks all!
    Heather

• flowergirl_on
    10 years ago

BLUEIRIS: How about those hot pink tulips for LA Hybrid 'Iceberg'? I am in need of some serious spring colour in my gardens.

• blueiris3
    10 years ago

FlowerGirl_On the trade is on! I need to find non purple flowers for this time of year... the alliums, iris, and columbine are all lovely, but a little monochromatic :-)

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gardeng8, I hope your main plant hasn't suffered because of it. I would love the piece of HP and would also love the iris but only if you can find something else to take off my list. :-)

A couple more additions on my list:
    German catchfly (plant WS in 2011--flowering right now)
    calendula (dwarf yellow) seedlings (nice and healthy)

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

great day to be in the garden. :-)
    Just in now with an addition--Russian sage volunteersX2
    (it is amazing what you find when you start pulling out the forget me nots!)

• blueiris3
    10 years ago

Hi Gardeng8,

Thank you, I would love seed from your white columbine, I'll give you my address at the swap. On my morning constitutional yesterday I spotted some tall barely pink columbine, so hopefully I can sneak some seed from it a bit later!! I have a neighbour who gathers seed heads as she walks her dog, throws the seeds in her pocket front garden and sees what comes up!
    What a perfect gardening day yesterday! 6 hours worth of gardening between spring cleanup at my Mom's and potting up in mine!
    Cheers,
    BlueIris3

• flowergirl_on
    10 years ago

Thank you everybody for the trades so far. I have a couple more additions on my list: dianthus deltoides (colour is cerise, I believe) and mixed colours of Morning Glory seedlings.

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do I have anything that you would trade for your piece of peony root with three stems--dark red?

• flowergirl_on
    10 years ago

LOIS: If you still have one of those rose cuttings available, I would like to try one for the peony root.

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Merja, sorry but of the three rooted cuttings, Blueiris3 has asked for two and the third one appears to be turning black on the stem and the leaves are shrivelling. If you aren't interested in anything else, I could take a cutting or two of the rose and you could root them......they took very easily in my rooting bucket and developed great roots, even surviving all winter in the bucket.

Let me know what you prefer. :-)

• flowergirl_on
    10 years ago

CAROL: If burgundy barberry is still available, I would love one for the dianthus deltoides.

LOIS: I have been watching quite a few rose cutting videos. I am still a little hesitant because I have never done it before. Maybe I try and learn it before I take a chance on that. :) I would like to learn to do it for sure. I have done cuttings only from house plants in a glass of water and leaf cuttings from African violets. :) I have been thinking about your peony root, would you happen to have a pic of the flower. I have a few pink ones so I would not want it to be something I already have. I have this pink one, could it be this one by chance? If you don't think yours is same than mine, my first choice is the peony root. Otherwise I will pick a few calendula seedlings, if still available.

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Merja, very pretty peony with the white PL bellflower.

The piece of root that I have (with two stems) is from a very pale shell pink.peony...I don't have a pic of it, sorry.
    I wish I had taken a pic last year as it was just beautiful planted beside a burgundy iris. It won't flower this year as I moved both the iris and the peony from my garden in Pt. Franks to my garden at home.

• flowergirl_on
    10 years ago

LOIS: I would love to have your little peony root then for my peony root. Perfect, I would say. :)

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will bring the peony for you, Merja :-)
    thanks

• wmc1
    10 years ago

Hopefully, Gwen and I will attend again this year, but have not had time to do any swaps. Was the same last year, but will bring a bunch of seedlings like last year for gamblers circle, Looking forward to meeting old friends again.
    It is on the 1st June?

• wmc1
    10 years ago

Hopefully, Gwen and I will attend again this year, but have not had time to do any swaps. Was the same last year, but will bring a bunch of seedlings like last year for gamblers circle, Looking forward to meeting old friends again.
    It is on the 1st June?

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Bill it is June 1....this Saturday :-)
    Hope to see you and Gwen! :-)

• blueiris3
    10 years ago

Hi Gardeng8;

I would love your spare pots - I have a long potting bench, and supply plants to two community sales each year, (plus have my own sale) so I raid local nursery recycling bins on occasion to get enough of the right size of pots.

If anyone else has spare 4"~6" wide shallow round pots those seem to be the ones I use the most of!

Thanks! Getting excited! Only a few more sleeps 'til the Gambler's Circle!!
    BlueIris3

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blueiris3, I will search around and see if I have any pots to bring you.

Looks like right now, there is rain in the forecast, so be prepared just in case they are right. :-) I think that rain was forecast for last year also and we didn't get any, so hopefully that is the case this year also. There is the building with the big overhang that we could use to sit under if necessary.

Heather......TWO more sleeps!! lol!

• wmc1
    10 years ago

Got some big clumps of comfrey, anybody want it?

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like we are expecting thunderstorms today starting about 9 a.m and expected to last all day. 70% chance apparently, so it looks like we will need to be near to the building so we can sit under the overhang, rather than sitting under the trees. At least the plants won't be sitting out in the blazing sun getting cooked in their pots while we are there! :-)

• wmc1
    10 years ago

Weather held up, had a great time at the swap with old friends again. Missed quite a few this year. Came home with a load again, where to put them all? Will all be in ground before swap next year. THANX TO ALL WHO ATTENDED.

• blueiris3
    10 years ago

Thank you to everyone & happy planting!

It is so nice getting together, how many years has it been? I've been trading since the second & third year back when it was held at Signet's but have lost track of how long ago that was! As someone said at a previous swap "It's like a family reunion with people that you like!".

I'm a plant-a-holic and I'm proud!! I went to a nursery with my Mom this afternoon and bought a couple daturas - they looked so great by my front door last year.

Hope to see you all and a bunch of new faces next year.
    Hugs,
    BlueIris3

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Such a great day! So glad that the weather forecast was wrong. We had good weather....good food...good friends and good talk!!

Thank you everyone! I am so excited to add all the great plants to my garden. :-)

(Got a few things planted already)

• rosco_p
    10 years ago

Thanks Everyone: I certainly must reiterate the fact that we had a great day! Thank you all for making my mother feel so welcome also...she had a wonderful time! (Thanks Carol for the take home gift of your Lemon Poppy seed Loaf) it was very kind of you and mom will snack on it for the weekend. I did get out in the garden for a couple of hours after getting home and mostly competed the planting of the new arrivals. Once again I am thrilled to have these new plants to add to my gardens and the fact that they came from friends gardens makes them that much more special. Take care all and hope to see you again soon. Ross.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions