Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueiris3

WANTED: Springbank Park, London, On, Plant Exchange 2012

blueiris3
12 years ago

Hello all,

I guess it's my turn to get the ball rolling! What day(s) work for everyone? I can't make either May 5/6 or May 12 (the 13th is Mother's Day) and the following week is the long weekend so it'll probably work best if Matt brings my stuff to one of those first two weekends. given the weather so far May 26/27 seems way too late. Similarly April 28/29 is probably coming up too fast to be feasible, it would be tough to get all our trades arranged by then!

What a strange spring, I hope you haven't lost too many beauties to the post balmy-week frosts. I've lost a few new things from last year's swap, most surprisingly the Labrador violets, my feverfew was badly burnt but is coming back. the star magnolia flowers succumbed despite 3 layers of garden fleece, and the butterfly bush leaves are toast, but otherwise I did ok.

I've declared 2012, to be the year of the forget me nots in my garden, I have hundreds of them just starting to put on a great show. 3 years ago I had hundreds of Johnny-jump-ups, but only 4~5 of them this year!

looking forward to trading with you! I'll get my list up shortly.

Hugs,

BlueIris3 / Heather

Comments (165)

• flowergirl_on
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Signet, my favourite flower ia a rose.

• LilacIsLove
    12 years ago

Signet, I'll bring some pop cans too if you like, we've got quite a few kicking around waiting to be recycled. My favourite flower has to be the good ol' foxglove!

• blueiris3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Luckynes, Thanks for the trades, I've put your name on a piece of ghost grass and English ivy. I haven't pulled out the cannas yet, hoping my knee is better tomorrow.

Hi Gardeng8, No worries about the volunteer barberry, I'm just imagining it's future glory. My mom used to have glorious green barberries but they got overgrown and torn out before I had my own place. The other coleus is set aside for you. I too will be adding things to my list soon.

Thanks, Heather

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

My knees have been hurting too, with the cold and all the digging I have been doing. Arthritis in the knee joints is my pain. But I get garden fever George is the only thing keeping me out of the garden right now. Looking after him after his surgery. So, while he is home , I fill seed trays in the house and keep an eye on him.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

posting my very limited list (at least until I can go out to work in the garden) :)

vining honeysuckle-decent sized division
    butterfly bush***blueiris***(yellow siberian iris)
    --***two more possible trades of rooted cuttings***
    gaillardia Arizona sun**WS seedlings**--blueiris(viola-white/pale yellow)
    gaillardia Arizona sun **WS seedlings**-merja(silver squill)
    **gaillardia seedlings now gone**
    garlic chives--signet(poet's narcissus)**gone**
    basil 'minnette'-small container with two sturdy seedlings
    naked/pregnant onions-pot with six or seven small bulbs
    purple millet-x2--Ross**gone**
    corydalis lutea-Ross(kerria)
    corydalis lutea--blueiris(wild blue phlox)
    corydalis lutea--gardeng8
    **corydalis now gone**
    hosta 'tiny tears'--blueiris(honey melon sage)**gone**
    hosta NOID--pic available
    pepper 'Alma paprika'--2 available
    pepper 'fish'--1 available
    plectranthus 'mona lavender'(merja)
    peony poppy 'red'-WS pot of seedlings--x2
    comfrey

• blueiris3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Greylady!
    Do you have more plectranthus Mona Lavender? I'd love some if you do!

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Fruits:
    Currant x 2
    Thornless blackberry x 2
    Everbearing strawberry x 2
    June bearing strawberry ( many)
    trees:

Elm seedling
    Maple seedling
    Lilac mauve
    rooted boxwood cuttings

Plants:

Lungwort -5 different colors -
    violet - white, white with purple center , purple , red and white with purple speckles
    primrose - yellow , cerise with yellow eye
    Evening primrose - yellow
    Iris - historical mauve iris , rusty red ,
    Lilies-babies- various ( time will tell which I can trade)
    veronica
    shasta daisy
    doronicum
    ajuga chocolate chip
    creeping buttercup
    real buttercup
    various hostas
    forget me not -white, blue, pink
    various sedums
    daffodils ( yellow, white with peach trumpet , poets narcissus)
    daylilies (approximately 1000 named varieties. not all ready to be split though)

herbs:

chives
    chocolate mint
    lemon balm
    feverfew double ( also 1 small plant of golden feverfew single bloom)
    wild garlic
    walking onion

Tansy
    Lady's Mantle
    a few crocosmia bulbs "Lucifer"
    Solomon's Seal
    Starry False Solomons Seal
    Brunnera Jack Frost
    DamesRocket ( hummer attractant)
    Perennial poppy red
    Somniferum poppy pink peony
    2 small Saskatoonberry shrubs/tree
    small yellow flowering ornamental strawberry
    Daylily Kwanza ( double orange bloom varigated leaves)
    Allium Purple Sensation

That Veronica I mentioned in my first list is Veronica persica Baby Blue Eyes aka birdseye speedwell

Additions as of 24/4/2012
    Rudbeckia "irish eyes"
    Rudbeckia lancinata "golden glow"
    Larkspur
    bulls blood sedum
    snowdrops
    echinops blue
    Seven Sisters rose
    2 black tulip bulbs( these arent honking big tulips)
    Pink Phlomis

Tropicals:

Ginger
    Kalanchoe (peach flower)
    Solid green spiders
    May have some rooted plumbago but this is only a possibility that they will have taken by the time of the swap
    brugmansia various colors cream, white with pink border, double white , double orange ( these last two would be a guessing game as they got mixed up during the cutting process)
    peace lily
    crown of thorns

no point in listing a lot of the other plants as some of you have already listed the same items in your lists. However if you are looking for something and another person doesnt have any left of that particular item, ask me . I possibly will have lots of it.

Also everyone please let me know what plant/plants you would like for your pop can donations ( I do appreciate all the offers a great deal!)And yes BlueIris ....lol you guessed it . They are for making my tags.

Roscoe, are you looking for bright yellow single or bright yellow double daffodils? Let me know please.

Greylady .....what was that plant you gave me . Darned if I can remember ? Borage or ?Didnt we have this discussion last year LOL !?

I have some of that to trade once I know what it is . Boy it took this time ! and yes , as per your comment , I guess I am "old fashioned" .......been around a while LOL!

BlueIris, Can I change a trade . I already have Daylily Sweet Hot Chocolate but I would like to try your no id yellow daylily and some of your daylily noID double orange with burgundy throat that spreads

Just wondering , would you have any of the orangey spikey plants that you show in your pics that are planted in the boulevard ( looks absolutely gorgeous by the way and all your neighbors must be jealous of your gardens!) I cant remember the names of these things , they look like an orange and yellow torch. Ack ....this getting old sucks. of course as soon as I post this message the name will come to me .I would also like to trade for some veronica (spikey ones) and some coreopsis please if you have some to trade please.

Merja , I would love to try some of your Japanese anemone 'Pamina' if possible.

I am looking for anything pink!

I think that is all for now

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

its not pink phlomis . Sorry its a pink crosswort groundcover that has pretty pink balls of flowers I gave some to Bev and she gave some back to me and she always remembers the name . Bev where are you ?
    I NEED you !

Found my bluebells ! Seems I moved them out of one garden when I made a path through it (dogs were making there own path there and plants were not likeing it so I moved them.) I put it someplace safe . The small clump is blooming as I write ! YaY!

And just so you know ....I have a great memory ...it is just very very short.

signet

• blueiris3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Signet - do you mind if I change my trade from pink to white forget me nots? I have noted your change to noid yellow daylily. What colours of lungwort you have other than Cherry Rose and the spotted leaf standard? Here are our trades as I have them so far please let me know if I�ve missed anything!

Currant (what colour?) for Rosa hot pink
    Another Currant (if not spoken for) for Autumn crocus (1)
    Allium purple sensation for Small Virginia bluebell
    Red violet for Red flowering quince
    White yarrow for Asian garlic chives
    White/ peach trumpet daffs for Lemon verbena if cuttings take
    Walking onion for Royal purple obedient plant
    Pink forget me not >> white ok? for Salmon phlox if cuttings take
    Lungwort What colours other than Cherry rose, and regular spotted? for Winter aconytes
    ever bearing strawbs for(1) white lilac
    more ever bearing strawbs or Poet�s Narcissus for Siberian iris yellow
    June bearing strawbs for Siberian iris butter & sugar
    more June strawbs for No id yellow daylily
    Violet - speckles for Nutmeg geranium houseplant
    Lily baby for Lily Nutmar
    Lily baby for Lily French Vanilla
    Poet�s narcissus if you have more? for Nepeta Walker's Low
    Snowdrops for White agastache
    Rudbeckia Irish eyes for Blue agastache
    Snowdrops if you have more? for Pop cans
    Seven sisters climbing pink rose for Red hot poker aka Kniphophia I may have babies and will get back to you (they may be yellow not orange, I didn't mark them)
    Echinops blue for double orange daylily with burgundy throat
    White/peach daffs - if have more? for spiky Veronica
    Golden feverfew for Coreopsis
    Do you have the following pink flowers already? hot pink rose campion or pinky-purple cranesbill geranium, I can pot some up for you. I do not have any seed - but hot pink annual four o'clocks are amazing, 2'+, covered in blooms even in part shade, and sometimes self seed for me.
    Thanks for all these trades! Heather

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

SIGNET: I would be happy with any bright yellow daffodil.Please provide whatever one is easiest for you to dig up.

While I am here has anyone heard from Jeff yet this year??

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

I put a couple more cuttings to root last night before bed. They should root soon, but I will keep you updated.

--trade for the bronze sempervivum? :-)

• blueiris3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Flowergirl:
    I needed some fresh air so I (briskly) walked around the garden and found these to add to my list, you get first pick since I owe you 5 trades:
    Latoya lily babies
    Panache lily babies
    Lilies these are either Fangio 52" red or Suncrest 40" white spotted with red (I thought I had moved all of these last fall!)

Hi Greylady - sounds good!

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

LOL! if you don't know, then I don't think I do either--I tried to go and look at the old thread but couldn't find the discussion.....I do remember the discussion, but just not the plant---if it is a perennial type and has large oval green leaves, then it is comfrey---if coming up from seed and has grey green, smaller, fuzzy leaves, then it is borage.

" and yes , as per your comment , I guess I am "old fashioned" .......been around a while LOL!"
    HaHa...didn't mean you were old fashioned!! :-) I meant that the encyclopedia reference was old fashioned. Heard they don't even print them anymore.......and Heather....I have probably been around longer than you!! :-)

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

I 'think' that it was mentioned last year that Jeff was not able to post here any more--that is why Bev did the posting for him last year.--maybe one of us could e-mail him.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

could we do a trade of the pop cans for a brunnera 'jack frost'?

I would also be interested in the Kwanso lily that you have that has variegated leaves. I hope to add to my list as soon as it gets decent enough to go out and not freeze and get soaked. :-)

• flowergirl_on
    12 years ago

SIGNET: I have japanese anemone 'Pamina' marked down for you.

BLUEIRIS: Hei, I am little confused now. You have possible 'Suncrest' lily to offer for me, but that is what you are getting from me. :) Did you write the name wrong by mistake or? You are saying white with red spots though. My 'Suncrest' is light yellow with burgundy spots. There is a picture of it on the lily website that Signet posted earlier under LxA Hybrids. Are they the same? If yours is lily Fangio, I would love to have that. I got a lily from you last year that was a beautiful red, but I lost a top of it for frost last month. I should go dig it up and see what the bulb looks like. But anyway if you have red lilies, I love them. I got lily 'Latoya' from you last year, so you can add lily 'Panache' on my list. I wait for your word about 'Suncrest' and see if it is the same as mine since you are not sure if it is 'Fangio' or not.

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

Signet,
    What kind of Maple seedlings do you have? I am looking for sugar maple.

• blueiris3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello all, I just emailed Jeff to offer to be his scribe.

Hi Merja - oops, that was silly of me, I completely didn't notice that. The bag of bulbs from Costco shows my Suncrest as a 40" white flower with burgundy spots. The Fangio and Suncrest were mixed up in that spot so I don't know who's who. I'll add Latoya to your list, I have many noID lilies in my boulevard, but I think you would prefer named varieties!

I am now rooting a bunch of cuttings of a lemon scented geranium that I just got from our Poet Laureate! Anyone want one if they take? Or one of these lilies?
    Latoya lily babies
    Panache lily babies
    Lilies these are either Fangio 52" red or Suncrest 40" white spotted with red (I thought I had moved all of these last fall!)
    Mystery / noID lily babies

• blueiris3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Merja, My brain is lagging today! I've added Panache to your list since I can now read again, and see that Latoya was last year's choice.
    Sorry about this, the weather changes have been giving me nasty migraines...
    Thanks, Heather

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

merja, I am not sure that I confirmed that yes I will set aside a plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' for you. I would llike sedum kamtschaticum, stonecrop in exchange if that is okay. thanks

• flowergirl_on
    12 years ago

BLUEIRIS: Do you want lily 'Suncrest' from me still or should I remove it from the list of your wants if you have it already?

• flowergirl_on
    12 years ago

GG: Thank you, Lois. Sedum kamtschaticum coming your way for a plectranthus 'Mona Lavender'.

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

SIGNET: Did you ever find the Naked Lady Lillies you were looking for? If you didn't...was it Lycoris Squamigera that you were thinking of? I do have some of those that I could dig up for you! Ross.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Thanks Merja! :)

Heather, if I am able to come up with something that you would like, I would love to have the suncrest lily.

• blueiris3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Flowergirl, Please remove Suncrest from my list from you, I've got 8 of them in various (unmarked!) places. Thanks, H.

Hey Greylady! You would be better off getting the Suncrest baby from Flowergirl, now that I've set it free. I can't tell whether the ones I'm offering are Suncrest or Fangio... Unless the crazy hot weather comes back and makes them bloom early ;-P They are supposed to be early summer bloomers.
    Cheers, H.

• daldak
    12 years ago

Enjoyed myself immensely last year. I haven't even ventured into the flowerbeds yet this year. Has a date been confirmed? Many things on the go with our two kids that it may be near impossible to make it out this year.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi daldak, glad you found us this year. I am not totally sure, but I think it might be the first weekend in June.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

thanks Heather :)

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Do you still have the suncrest lily babies available? If so, I would love to have one if I can find something that you would be interested in.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

If you still have the gaillardia - Arizona Red, would I be able to have it for the corydalis? thanks

• flowergirl_on
    12 years ago

GG: Yes, I will put LA hybrid 'Suncrest' on your want list. Could I have peony poppy 'red'-WS pot of seedlings for it?

SIGNET: Is your pink crosswort groundcover same as Phuopsis stylosa Creeping Crosswort (Caucasian Crosswort)? If so, could I have some of it, please?

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Merja, I will set aside a pot of WS red peony poppy for you in ex for the lily--thank you very much.

Carol, thank you very much for confirming the trade of gaillardia 'Arizona red' for the corydalis.

The sun is shining and it is 'supposed' to get to 15 today!!! I am actually going to get out into the garden--yay! :-)

• LilacIsLove
    12 years ago

Hello again!

I have a few more things to add to my list.
    seedlings:
    Chamomile
    summer savory
    cucumber 'straight eight'
    oregano
    lemon balm
    lemon basil
    sweet basil
    thyme
    genovese o comune basil

bulbs:
    gladiola 'blue moon' x3
    hyacinth mixed colours.

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

I just wanted to add the following to my list of "have to trade".
    Bronze Leaf Canna Rhizomes
    Red Flowering Dahlia Tubers-small, one growing tip.
    Small 1 or more eyed Yellow Calla Lilly Bulbs
    Green Leaved Canna Rhizome
    Mauve Lilac division.

Palace Purple Heuchera(small division)
    Hibiscus Manihot (seedling)
    Bears Breeches (division)
    Oenethera (evening primrose)
    White Calla (young plant)
    Blue Monkshood (division)
    Japanese Kerria
    Pulmonaria (Lungwort) light red flowered
    4" pot of Sweet Basil seedlings(about 12-15 per pot)
    Small bluish/mauve Rose of Sharon saplings
    I also have a couple of Tropical indoor plants that i would
    like to trade including

Japanese Pandanus (variegated) 1 year old rooted offsets
    Red Oleander (seedlings)

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

I have a couple to add to my list today.

WS seedlings (4 per pot) blue dragon-dracocephalum ruyschianum---2 pots available

Astilbe chinensis 'Finale'--one pot

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Ross, I would be interested in a bronze leafed canna if there is something that you see on my list that interests you. thanks
    Lois

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

good grief! I forgot a couple more :)
    so my additions for today are:

WS seedlings (4 per pot) blue dragon-dracocephalum ruyschianum---2 pots available

Astilbe chinensis 'Finale'--one pot

Liatris 'punctata'--one small plant

rosemary--one pot with three seedlings

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

Lois: The Rosemary seedlings would interest me in exchange for the Bronze Leaf Canna. Let me know. Thanks Ross.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Ross, you are welcome to the rosemary seedlings, but they are small--approx and inch tall, so please pick something else in addition to the rosemary

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

LOIS;Thank you for the confirmation on the Rosemary! I don't mind them being small but if you really want me to have another item well...the blue dragon dracocephalum sounds interesting and I would be happy to try it. Thanks. Ross.
    P.S. If you wish me to pot up the Canna rhizome so as it has a better start,just say so and I will get that done.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

I will set aside a pot of the blue dragon for you, Ross. I really love it. I grew it last year for the first time and it was beautiful.

That would be great if you potted up the canna. I would appreciate it. thanks :-)

• blueiris3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello all,

Please post whether any or all of these days work for you:
    Saturday May 19th?
    Saturday June 16th?
    (I'm hoping we can find a ride for Luckynes so she can come on a Saturday.)
    If those dates don't work how about:
    Sunday June 3rd?
    or Sunday June 10th?
    Signet has offered to bow out if Sundays work for more people.

To get the ball rolling - I'm fine with any of these dates.

Please take this the right way, I'm just trying to find a compromise so we can get everyone together.
    Cheers,
    Heather / BlueIris3

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

I don't want people to plan around whether I can make it or not. I have a health situation with my husband. Would the people I made trades with pick it up from my house, which is just minutes away by car, if I can't make it?

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Nes, if the only reason that you can't make it on a Saturday is because of a ride, then we are more than happy to pick you up. It would really be no trouble at all.

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

Just wanted to say that any of those Saturdays would work for me. Ross

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Well I am fine with any of the days, including the original date of May 26 suggested by signet and also June 2 suggested by gardeng8.

My one thought about May 19 is that it is the long weekend and also fairly early in the season and the long weekend is notorious for terrible weather (except I think last year wasn't too bad was it?) :-)

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Hi everyone , Well this is turning out to be a can of worms. Not at all what I intended. But then worms are good for the garden.

I wrote to Blueiris because I was concerned that the saturday dates for the swap that I suggested were not good for a number of participants(Lilacislove, Gardeng8 who travels so far to come and Luckynes) and Sunday dates are not good for me so I asked her if she would choose a date so that I could know if I could attend . If it turned out to be a Sunday , so be it . It just makes more sense for me to bow out so that three others can attend.

I dont have a problem with that . It just means that I may have to pass on the swaps I have arranged as I dont know when/where I could get your plants to you. If we can work out something that's great otherwise I have to cancel the swaps I have made with you all .

Blueiris has very kindly offered to pick up and take but it is so far out of her way that I just dont feel right doing that and if past experience has proven anything , I am working on swaps right up to and including the last minute of the day of the swap .

I just want to say that I appreciate all the garden plants I have traded all of you in the past.They for the most part are growing merrily along and increasing as I write. I now am working on garden number 40. Who do I blame ? The fault belongs to all of you LOL! This has grown to be quite the event since I started it all some years ago .

So when you choose a date please choose what really works for you all . If you think we can still work out swapping outside of this swap let me know . I was ssssssooooo close to having a dark purple lilac !!!!!!!

I will check in some time later to see what everyone has decided on , in the meantime I am all about making a Ladybug cake for 30 people for my neice's first birthday right now . Ladybug , Ladybug fly away home ....UGH!!!really this is a horrible nursery rhyme!

Signet

• blueiris3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Sorry it looks like I have made this can of worms worse. I should have included the restrictions that made me suggest those dates:
    Lilac / Emily can not come the weekend of May 26th because of surgery the day before
    Luckynes can't come Saturdays but perhaps with a ride for her and DH she could make it. I would gladly give them a ride. I was only able to come to my first two swaps because of generous rides from Bev. Worst case we can still chat with her by going to her house just up the road.
    Signet and Ross can't come Sundays
    I incorrectly thought Gardeng8 could not come the first Saturday in June, but that should have been just Sat. June 9th

Since Gardeng8 can come on Sat. June 2nd - how about we choose that date? Pending confirmation that Luckynes will accept rides for her and DH? We are a really welcoming group and just want to get everyone in on the fun, but we have a lot of restrictions on who can come when this year.

Sincerely, Heather / BlueIris3

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

My husband works saturday afternoons and hence we can't go. on Saturday. But maybe If I can get a ride down around 1 PM , I can go.

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Hi everyone , Well this is turning out to be a can of worms. Not at all what I intended. But then worms are good for the garden.

I wrote to Blueiris because I was concerned that the saturday dates for the swap that I suggested were not good for a number of participants(Lilacislove, Gardeng8 who travels so far to come and Luckynes) and Sunday dates are not good for me so I asked her if she would choose a date so that I could know if I could attend . If it turned out to be a Sunday , so be it . It just makes more sense for me to bow out so that three others can attend.

I dont have a problem with that . It just means that I may have to pass on the swaps I have arranged as I dont know when/where I could get your plants to you. If we can work out something that's great otherwise I have to cancel the swaps I have made with you all .

Blueiris has very kindly offered to pick up and take but it is so far out of her way that I just dont feel right doing that and if past experience has proven anything , I am working on swaps right up to and including the last minute of the day of the swap .

I just want to say that I appreciate all the garden plants I have traded all of you in the past.They for the most part are growing merrily along and increasing as I write. I now am working on garden number 40. Who do I blame ? The fault belongs to all of you LOL! This has grown to be quite the event since I started it all some years ago .

So when you choose a date please choose what really works for you all . If you think we can still work out swapping outside of this swap let me know . I was ssssssooooo close to having a dark purple lilac !!!!!!!

I will check in some time later to see what everyone has decided on , in the meantime I am all about making a Ladybug cake for 30 people for my neice's first birthday right now . Ladybug , Ladybug fly away home ....UGH!!!really this is a horrible nursery rhyme!

Signet