Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrie_gw

WANTED: Gourd Seeds and a question about them.....

sherrie
16 years ago

I don't know anything about gourd seeds and am wondering if some varieties have larger leaves than others. Our growing season is too short to be concerned about getting the gourds, its the foliage that I want. BIG leaves!

If anyone has seeds of something like this I would like to trade for them. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Summer
    16 years ago

Sherrie,
    You want BIG leaves. Tufa???? Have you considered Rhubarb? I have one that not only tastes great, but also has the most beautiful really huge leaves great for stepping stones, planters, fountains etc. Bonus - it's a perennial!
    Summer

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

Hi Sherrie
    I have seeds of a gourd which has very nice white flowers and stays fairly compact (it will reach out though). Also have seeds of large white squash with large leaves. I start them indoors in paper pots and plant them directly when the frost is not a problem.
    I can send you some seeds of several to try. Send me your address. I will put a picture up on my blog of the flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourd

• sherrie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Summer, I didn't even think about tufa leaves but that is a great idea! I will look at my rhubarb this summer for an extra large leaf.

cmmwiebe, that is very kind of you to offer seeds. I have a trade list; if there is anything you would like in exchange, please let me know. It is up to date except for the Diascia, I just traded that.

• ianna
    16 years ago

sherrie,

I have gourd seeds harvested form one that I converted into a birdhouse. They seem to be viable although I've never grown them.

For large leaf plants I would suggest hostas, if this works in your area. Also consider the gunnera - a giant plant. A bit prickly though.

Ianna

• sherrie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ianna, sorry, I wasn't ignoring you - for some reason these posts aren't making it to my email, and I have no idea why. I just happened to notice extra posts to my original post, while reading everyone's haves and wants messages!

I have some gourd seeds coming. The reason why I wondered about leaf size is that I'm growing them on my deck. The deck is HOT and they should grow like crazy. I want to weave the leaves in and out of the railings. Just thought it would be a cool way to get some green on the deck!

Now, off to check my gardenweb settings....

• ianna
    16 years ago

Sherrie, I didn't think I was ignored and so no apology necessary.

Re the hot deck situation. In this case, I will suggest growing morning glories which do provide good foliage coverage in combination with your gourds. (wouldn't that look interesting) Although these MGs are rapid growers, I would suggest you start them early enough indoors so that it grows fast enough in your short season.