Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

WANTED: Ottawa Plant Exchange - Experimental Farm

User
17 years ago

We have a group of interested folk looking to meet and exchange garden interests at the Central Ottawa Experimental Farm.

Children are welcome to attend.

Suggested items to swap:

1. Plants

2. Seeds

3. Garden mags/books

4. Garden related anything that you don't want

5. One side location for a book/magazine trade area that is non-garden related. I have quilt magazines and maybe some books I want to get rid of (if anyone is interested).

Proposed time: 12 Noon

Proposed dates:

1st choice - SUNDAY, 3 June (rain date would be the following Sunday)

2nd choice - SUNDAY, 27 May (rain date would be the following Sunday)

Please let me know what you think.

Also, in the event that I cannot attend due to 'family committment' (visiting inlaws.....grrrrh) - would someone else be willing to set up a few minutes earlier to establish the meeting area? (Which will be determined once the date is set).

As for kids, if we know the age group - maybe I could organize an activity for them - colouring, crafts, plant some seeds to take home or decorate a sunhat. I don't have children but I sure enjoy seeing their smiling faces.

Let me know!

Cheers,

McPeg

Comments (21)

• User
    16 years ago

Hey Ring Leader,

Count me in. Either date.

Bill

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Bill!
    Glad to see you will be attending. June is looking good for me. I am hoping to have some amaranthus seedlings, purple coneflower and maybe a few other plants.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for the weather.
    Cheers,
    McPeg

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi folks,
    if anyone is following this and interested - kindly express your interest now or soon!
    Ta!
    McPeg

• snowqueen
    16 years ago

I'm interested, should have seedlings, divisions, some garden mags, containers etc. My aunt is also interested in being there. Either date is fine.
    Donna

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's great! So far Bill, myself, Donna and Aunt.

• darrylenes
    16 years ago

Hi:
    Count me in too....either date is fine. I'll check with Deborah and LeeAnne soonest and let you all know.
    Darrylene

• digs57
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Count me in - and either date would be fine for me too.
    Digs (Dorothy)

• chevyii
    16 years ago

Hi Peg,

Count me in but I need to know within 1 wk which date is chosen. I need to book day off if Im scheduled in. New work schedule going up on the 19th.

thanks
    loved the seed exchange

• lmdw
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm definitely interested. I vote for the earlier date because I'm not sure if I can keep my seedlings alive without being insanely rootbound by the second date. I'd also need some help about the location as I'm new to the area. I know roughly where the farm is, but isn't it pretty big (and mabye has different entrances?). I can dig up hostas, lily of the valley, dwarf purple iris (should be done blooming), pulmonaria, and possibly some daylilies and irises after they bloom and I find out the colour(s). It would be worth knowing how much interest there might be so I can gauge how much time to spend digging up stuff . . . How will the swap work? Sorry to ask but I was unable to attend the 1st one. Thanks and looking forward to meeting fellow gardeners!

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I now am committed to the 3rd of June as I must attend another function on the weekend of 27 May.

Unless there are a number of folk who cannot attend this date, the 3rd of June is the set date.

SET UP LOCATION: Parking Lot behind building 78, beside the New Hedge Collection (right hand side of map at the lower end of the ornamental gardens).

I will be bringing a mix of some seedlings (mine are very small at this stage. I will also be bringing some quilting magazines for those who are interested (I am sorting out my stash!).

Please label your plants/seedlings.

Again, although the focus is garden related, this is also a good opportunity to trade/get rid of any unwanted books, magazines.

There is no selling at this event - strictly trade or give away if you want to.

May I suggest a time of 12:00 to allow folk to get to the location. Pack a picnic lunch if you want. Children are welcome to join us. They are never to young to get interested in the plants and fun at the Experimental Farm. There is a farm museum and animals to see.

The rain date will be the following Sunday with the same time and location.

Here is a link that might be useful: Map of the Central Experimental Farm

• snowqueen
    16 years ago

I am ripping out some ribbon grass and before I toss it all on the compost pile...is anyone interested in some?
    Donna

• sammyqc
    16 years ago

June 3rd is fine for me.
    Donna, I would love some, especially if you have any large clumps. I have a few areas where it would be very welcome, the more invasive the better!
    Hope you haven't composted them yet!
    Sam.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would love as much as you can offer after you have shared with everyone else....
    Cheers,
    Peggy

• User
    16 years ago

Hi Gang,

IÂm planning on splitting my Epiphyllum this weekend.

ItÂs not the best looking plant and it may take 3-5 years to get a bloom BUT, once you smell the fragrance you will be hooked for life. Kind of like crack cocaine for gardeners. LOL

I need to know who is interested so I can make the appropriate number of cuttings. Respond here please.

Bill

{{gwi:681060}}

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would love to try this plant!
    Cheers,
    McPeg

• snowqueen
    16 years ago

Peggy & Sam
    I will keep on digging and set some aside for you. And there will still be lots left if anyone else wants some.
    Donna

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Just a reminder for any lurkers, if you are thinking of attending, please let us know.
    Cheers,
    McPeg

• sammyqc
    16 years ago

Hi there. Does anyone mind if I share this with some of Ottawa's plant cycle folks? I figured the more the merrier, and there's a bunch of gardeners there that would probably be interested in swapping plants, etc, too. Hope that's okay with people?

• gumshoegirlgrows
    16 years ago

I was so hoping on attending this time, but alas, I've got to go out of town (as I thought might have been a possibility). I look forward to swapping some other time.

I do have some tomato starts for trade, some seeds for trade (mostly thanks to McPeg). Now, I'm looking mostly for perennials to add to my front cottage garden. If anyone is interested, let me know.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have been 'offline' after a major computer crash...but like a weed, I'm back!

The weather is 'iffy' for Sunday. Looks like rain but Sat looks good....I am hoping the weather does what it has been doing to date - not following the forecasts!!!

Calagary has sun all week and quite often we get their weather by the weekend - so I am not giving up hope.

What do folk want to do? We need to make a firm decision on FRIDAY EVENING - I WILL POST ON FRIDAY for the weekend.

All of those attending - please email me through my members page - I would like to make a distribution email to everyone for Friday evening so people know exactly what is going on. I will also supply my phone number via email only to registered members so you can call me if you are not sure what is going on.

RAIN OPTION WOULD BE TO HAVE THIS ON SATURDAY IF THERE ARE ENOUGH PEOPLE INTERESTED. (You would have to go on without me! Sniff....)

Please email me this week so I can ensure everyone knows the details.

Cheers,
    McPeg

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Folk have emailed me wanting to attend on Sunday.

Sunday is a GO! Even with a few showers. Anyone is welcome to attend. Sam is extending the invitation to the plantcycle people as well so I am hoping we all have lots of fun.

My plants are SEEDLINGS - small ones at that but they are growing and picking up speed in this weather...flower seeds. Perennials, annuals and a few herbs.

This should be a fun day!

Cheers,
    Peggy

Sponsored
More Discussions