Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodyt_gw

WANTED: help with perennial gardening..and seeds!

jodyt
15 years ago

Hello all,

My name is Jody.

I have recently purchased my first home which has a massive yard with very

little in it....tabula rasa! Which is exciting if you know what you are doing

which I am not sure that I do. I am embarking on a perennial gardening

adventure.But, I don't have many seeds or anything to exchange with you all just

yet. But, I do have a desire to learn and share. I also have many questions

about perennial gardening.

I live in northern BC, Canada in a zone 4b. I am looking for seeds that fit my

zone. I love any kind of lily, iris, climbing/ trailing plants and anything

fragrant. I am also looking for bushes, shrubs and trees. I have full sun spots,

partial sun spots, shade spots, woodland areas and a massive rock garden that

needs cleaning and replanting. My partner and I are making raised vegetable garden beds,

flower beds, and three arbors are being put up next week. So, if you are at all

interested in helping out, making suggestions or sending me seeds of some of

your favorites to try I am ready and willing. I, of course, will compensate your

with postage or packaging and will learn to collect seeds to exchange in the

coming years.

Can you come out and garden with me?

Thanks,

Jody

Comments (5)

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Hi Jody. It's exciting starting a new garden isn't it? Most of the plants I grow have to grow in full sun. Please look at my page and see if there is anything you would like. If you email me direct, perhaps we can work something out. Ask as many questions as you need to. There are lots of great gardeners here so you will get lots of good advice. Marg

• Anisten
    15 years ago

Wow, sounds like you are in for an adventure. I will warn you and that is that you are in for MEGA AMOUNTS OF WORK so maybe focus on some of the beds this year and expand next year. When everything sprouts in your garden you will also be able to see what is extablished there and divide or discard and go from there. Send me a SASE and I will see what I can send you along. Email me and I will give you my address. Also I have some advise for you below

-FEED THE SOIL NOT THE PLANTS. Organic measures do this and you end up with less problems as time goes on. By feeding the soil with Organic means(compost) and staying away from chemical fertilizers, Gods design is best @ work and you get the best results.

-The best and cheapest way to fill in or improve the soil in a garden bed is with compost. I buy in bulk from the local recycling center. If you buy soil or compost in bags it will break the bank and you will get very little for your investment.

-Look for a plant swap in your area that way you will get some established plants as the seeds will take longer to set up.

-Also ask around and you will find that anybody who has a garden will probably give you divisions.

-Don't be afraid to also walk around your neighborhood and admire others gardens and ask for their gardening advise. This will not only give you knowledge but gardeners love to share. What grows for them is likely to grow for you also.

-For vegetable gardening read the book or look here on the forums for "Square foot gardening" it will save you work and see you don't give up by the end of the season.

-If you are patient by the end of June/July in your area the garden centers are clearing out their items and you can get great deals @ the time, sometimes as high as 75% off.

-For next year look into Winter Sowing on the forums here it is addictive and hugely rewarding as the seedling are very hardy and very easy to start and grow.

Have fun but remember to break things down into workable chunks. A garden is always a continual working tapestry.

• beetlejuicevoyager
    15 years ago

Hi JodyT,
    Anisten gave you some wonderful advices and if you follow this, you will have a beautiful and safe garden. Next fall, I should have some seeds of lupins, holyhocks etc. If you want, I can send them to you. Just send me a PM and I will put your name on y fall list for seeds.

• bern_2007
    14 years ago

If you want seeds I still have a lot. Hosta, hollyhocks,echinecea pink, Astilbe, beebalm, columbine and more. Email me if your interested.

• lovinlife
    14 years ago

I have a bunch of seeds I can send you for a sase. Email me and I will send you my address. Are you wanting just perennials or do you want a few annuals to fill in the garden with colour this year?