Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homemommy_gw

HAVE: Brampton Plant Exchange: May 30th (Part 2)

homemommy
14 years ago

Wow! With going on 60 posts the Brampton Exchange appears to be rather cumbersome to navigate!

This thread is a continuation of the Brampton Plant exchange thread found here:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/excan/msg0315351531337.html?59

We have tentatively set a date for Saturday May 30th 2009. At 10:00. A rain date may be set for one week after, June 6th 2009. Should poor weather prevail on the rain date, bring your umbrellas!!

Location will most likely be a parking lot, in close proximity to Queen Street, TBA.

We will have both direct prearranged swaps between members, and an open trading circle.

Please use this thread for anything related to this exchange, ideas, arranging swaps, feedback etc.

Have Fun, and looking forward to meeting you!

Comments (74)

• sunita_fleuriste
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hiya all,

Ladybug...I'd like some of that yellow clematis if you have it still!

I also have the creeping jenny...I planted one plant last summer and now I see little ones popping up everywhere! Its the one with the bright greenish/yellow leaves...looks like the same one you have.

I also have a pink clematis that that self seeded in my garden this year. I have a pic of the parent and will post it on my page tonight.

s

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorellina; I'll just keep my fingers crossed that when the clematis comes to life I can see some good pieces to separate and pot up ;-)

Thanks for the info Anisten!

Sunita;

I would be very interested in your creeping Jenny, and also if you have some clematis to spare ;-)

• sunita_fleuriste
    14 years ago

hi homemummy,

I'm so sorry..I meant to say a pink columbine not a pink clematis! My head must have been in the clouds :)

I'll pot up some of that creeping jenny for you though.

s

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh no worries Sunita... I like columbine's too! lol!!

Although someone may need to put a leash on me, as I'll go after just about any garden plant! lol!!

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao all-

Ok campers, this is the weekend to get out there and do some digging! I'll be digging up and dividing my orange daylilies for sure and potting up some of the volunteer golden raspberries I'm already seeing out in the garden.

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know what you mean Sorellina!! I think this is a weekend to be outdoors for sure!!

I don't have a lot to dig up and move around, I can't disturb my front garden until the spring bulbs are done (all 400 of them... now that was not using foresight last fall considering I have to totally dig up and rehaul the garden this spring!!)

But... I have to re pot a lot of my seedlings! (Possibly upwards of 300... Boy do they ever like the heat and sunshine on days like today!

Anyone have some tips on making newspaper pots??

• wildflwer_2
    14 years ago

I ment to post earlier, but I am up to my elbow in cleaning the flower beds. the spring bulbs are all coming up , they look beautiful.

Sorellina I notice you have golden raspberries if you can dig up some for me it will be great. I do have blackberries the boisenberry type very large. if you want I can bring some to you.

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a lead on a location. It is the parking lot at the Brampton Curling Club, off McMurchy St, very close to Queen. For those that are further out of the city and are not familiar with this area, it falls in the downtown area.

There is a very big parking lot there, and it does not look like they have any events for Saturday Morning. They do have a dance the night prior and will be removing some equipment / tables potentially Saturday Morning, but that would not cause any problems...

I am currently asking for permission, the email is getting forwarded to the people that need to see it and I will have an answer next week...

I am going to scout a few other locations too, Can't believe it is May 1st tommorow!!

• Anisten
    14 years ago

Homemommy my friend is also still asking about Bramalea Baptist church but that sounds good also.

About your question of the paper pots here is a link for an article @ Mother Earth News magazine on how to make some out of toilet paper rolls. Here are my pictures too of the ones I made. The magazine makes theirs look so perfect, but that is not possible

{{gwi:681848}}

{{gwi:681850}}

{{gwi:681852}}

{{gwi:681854}}

{{gwi:681856}}

{{gwi:681858}}

{{gwi:681860}}

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao all-

We're heading into another good weekend to be outside working in the garden. I think this weekend will be better than last in that the overall temps will be cooler and we're not expected any crazy wind like last Saturday.

I've inspected the garden and I'll have plenty of golden raspberry volunteers for people. I also wanted to check in and see if any of you grow asparagus. I'd love to grow it over by the rhubarb since it's a perennial, but I don't want to wait a thousand years to harvest it. I've been told it can be propagated by its tuberous roots like lilies and such.

Let me know who would appreciate violets and yarrow. I have plenty of this and I need to thin it out every year. I also have some lilies of the valley that I need to thin and soapwort which has pale pink flowers.

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anisten:

Please keep us posted on the church location, just with 30 days and counting down, we need to firm this up pretty soon!

Also, I have opened up the exchange to the Brampton Freecycle Chat Cafe, the more people involved, the better IMHO...

Someone emailed me (not from this list) that they have pond plants, anyone interest in pond plants??

• wildflwer_2
    14 years ago

Sorellina I do have asparagus, I will dig some up for you, I have had them for the last 15 years, they never stop producing.

Anisten I would like some of the pond plants, anything will do. I have a small lake in the back of my property it will be nice to go and look as they come up. there is beavers in the pond, will they eat the flowers? I do have alot of perennials too many to mention, also in my greenhouse I have blue agapanthus, agave plants and giant white calla lillies.

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao wildflower-

Yay, thank you so much! My boys will be thrilled. We've been wanting to grow it for several years now, but the idea of having to wait so long has put us off. Yay, you made my day!

• skraps
    14 years ago

If it's not to late I would love to take part in this swap ..

• sunita_fleuriste
    14 years ago

Hi Sorelina,

I would be interested in the yarrow and especially the soapwort. Just wondering about the violets...Are the common purple kind with the heart shaped leaves? I am suddenly obsessed with violets and am starting a collection!

s

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Skraps!

It is not to late at all!!

At the top of this thread, you will see a list of members names, and what they are looking for, and what they are requesting. We are planning direct trades between members at the swap. However there is also a trading circle, more of a bring something... leave with something different!

So, if you see something on someones trade list that you like, feel free to put in a request, and post your own trade list. Or... Just come with a few things and participate in the trading circle. A few people are doing just that...

• Anisten
    14 years ago

Wildflower_2 I am not the one with the pond plants. This thread is quite long so easy to make a mistake.

I have been potting up but mostly my stuff will go in the trading circle, so it will be a surprise and hopefully a good one.

I will be sending out emails to people in our area to come as well so we can get a good turnout. The more the merrier.

I have also been encouraging my friend to call Bramalea Baptist church about the parking lot. Sent her another reminder today. We should know soon if that is ok. What came of the other parking lot Homemommy that you were looking into?

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao Sunita-

Yay, I'm glad you're interested in the Yarrow and the Soapwort. It's so nice when these things find a home. My violets are indeed the normal purple ones with the heart-shaped leaves. I love them, but they need to be thinned out. You know you can eat them, right? They're beautiful in salads or decorating sandwiches or even cakes.

I also have lots of Creeping Jenny for whoever is interested in it. It drapes nicely and would be lovely on the outer edges of a hanging basket.

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anisten and Wildflower:
    It was actually me that posted the pond plants, I thought I posted about them to clarify, but apparently I just hit preview and not submit... grr.

The pond plants where from a member of Brampton Freecycles chat cafe "Brampton Talks on Yahoo". They emailed me directly with interest in the swap and said that is what they had.

As for location... I heard back on Monday or Tuesday from the president, asking if I heard back from a manager... but I had not and let him know... I am thinking perhaps we should look at some other potential spots, perhaps the Giant Tiger on Main street... I heard that Girl Guides use it for car washes... Or perhaps the far off corner at Shoppers World, near the Petro Canada. We use that for arranging bus pick up and drop offs for scout and guide camps... I will Contact Shoppers, come to think of it, it is a good spot!

• skraps
    14 years ago

My trade list
    Bees balm pink
    Bleeding Heart (pink) (white)
    Black Eye Susans
    Chamomile
    Crains Belle Geranium (pink)
    Columbine (pink)
    Ground cover
    Hostas Lancifloria
    Hosta Frances William
    Hydrangea Anna bell
    Ingulas
    Loose Leak (white)
    Ladys Mantel
    Ostridge ferns
    Plume Poppys
    Rose Mallow (pink)
    Sweet woodruff
    Spider worth (light Blue)

Looking for:

Named Hostas
    Brugsmaina
    Bird House Gourds
    Currants Crazy daisy
    Dutra Ballerina Double purple
    Dahlias
    Fruit Trees
    Gypsy rose
    Goose berry Bushes
    Lillys no orange only name
    Yellowpolkadotbikini
    Pink Lady Slippers
    Tomato Plants

• skraps
    14 years ago

Homemommy: would love to have some red currants, Dinner Plate Dahlias (Either Lilac Time or Moms Special, and some Crazy Daisy.

sunita_fleuriste: would love to swap Datura Blackcurrant Swirl for Phlox.

ladybug6a: Do you know the name of your hostas

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao Skraps-

I would very much like your Anna Bella Hydrangea. I've been recently blessed with 4 kittens that I rescued from a wood pile and one of them I named Anna Bella. I will have several heirloom tomatoes to bring. What are your taste preferences?

• skraps
    14 years ago

Ciao: Don't have a preferance one I can use for sauce..I will put a anna bella hydrangea aside for u ....kittens are so cute nice name..

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao Skraps-

I'm bringing several that would fit the bill nicely. I'll set one aside for you. Thanks!

• sunita_fleuriste
    14 years ago

Hi skrapps!

That trade's good for me. I'll make a note of it!

s

• skraps
    14 years ago

sorellina: & sunita Fleuriste Thanks very much look forward to meeting you all.

• skraps
    14 years ago

Ladybug: I would love one of your clematis Tangutica?

The Hills: Yellow pond iris,red currants

Sorry If I mixed you all up .Hope everyone remembers to label their plants..PLEASE..

• ladybug6a
    14 years ago

I would like to let you know, that I am not able to fullfill the plantorders we have come up with. I am so sorry, but I have been ill, not able to do much gardening. I would have liked to meet you all and exchanged some plants. Have a great day anyway, maybe Ill be able to come and see how the exchange is done (since I have never been to one).
    ladybug6a

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao campers-

Did any of you get this nastiness the other day? I lost some peas and a raspberry plant I'd potted up, but otherwise, I think most things out there will probably recover. I would just like to thank God that it happened NOW, rather than when I'm in the middle of hardening everything off.

{{gwi:681862}}

{{gwi:681864}}

Ladybug, you just get better. That's a shame that you won't have any garden this year, but your health is more important.

I noticed that she'd planned on bringing tomatoes and peppers. For those of you who had trades going with her for those veggies, let me know. I can probably pick up the slack on that.

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have heard back from the Brampton Curling Club president. He has given the go ahead to use this location. I think it is a really good one! It is off McMurchy, which is a major road (although not a main artery) and Queen, very close to downtown. Large parking lot no one will be using... I would suggest to anyone who comes to take advantage of being close to the downtown farmers market on Saturdays... They actually close down a part of Main street at Queen for it...

Anyone have any objections to this location?

• raptorfan
    14 years ago

sadly i have nothing to trade/swap due to the great seed mishap at home :( This may be a silly question, but can i purchase any plants? If not, no problem, I may pop by just to see how a swap works as I've never been. I am interested in heirloom tomatoes & plants/hostas, anything pink or purple too! I am trying to create a cottage garden.
    thanks!

• Anisten
    14 years ago

Sounds good about the location. Maybe post the actual address and maybe a link to a mapquest map or something. I am sure Bramalea Baptist would of been ok too my friend is still trying to contact someone, but seems like we have a location so that is good.

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Cover your plants or get them inside, people. There's going to be widespread frost tonight.

WIDESPREAD FROST EXPECTED TONIGHT.. THIS IS A WARNING THAT AT OR NEAR ZERO GROUND TEMPERATURES WILL CAUSE FROST IN THE PARTS OF THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

A LARGE BUBBLE OF ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE WILL SETTLE OVER THE GREAT LAKES TONIGHT ACCOMPANIED WITH CRYSTAL CLEAR SKIES AND DIMINISHING WINDS. THE COMBINED EFFECTS OF CLOUD FREE SKIES AND LIGHT WINDS WILL PRODUCE IDEAL CONDITIONS FOR A WIDESPREAD FROST OVER ALMOST ALL OF SOUTHERN AND EASTERN ONTARIO. THE MOST LIKELY TIME PERIOD FOR FROST WILL BE FROM AFTER MIDNIGHT UNTIL JUST AFTER SUNRISE MONDAY MORNING. THE ONLY AREAS LIKELY TO BE SPARED THE FROST ARE LARGE URBAN CENTRES SUCH AS DOWNTOWN TORONTO OR OTTAWA AND ALSO THOSE COMMUNITIES IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO THE GREAT LAKES. THE MERCURY WILL QUICKLY RISE ABOVE THE FREEZING MARK JUST AFTER SUNRISE MONDAY AND THE FROST WARNING WILL BE ENDED AT THAT TIME.

• Anisten
    14 years ago

Skraps I would be interested in some Chamomile and a fern. If one of the hostas is a variegated one or large leaved then I am interested also. I have been potting up some stuff and you are welcome to have first pick of anything I bring to see if it interests you. I will have a variety of plants.

Ladybug6a I am so sorry that you are undergoing a hard time health wise I can understand from experience. Take it easy and do show up if you would like.

Homemommy can we have the actual address posted. I have one friend comming but will try to get the word out so that we can increase the numbers. The more people the more choice there will be.

• skraps
    14 years ago

Anisten : I will but aside chamomile,fern and variegated Hosta for you ..

• raptorfan
    14 years ago

just following up...sadly i have nothing to trade/swap due to the great seed mishap at home :( This may be a silly question, but can i purchase any plants? If not, no problem, I may pop by just to see how a swap works as I've never been. I am interested in heirloom tomatoes & plants/hostas, anything pink or purple too! I am trying to create a cottage garden.
    thanks!

• graeme
    14 years ago

hey i'm just starting my garden i really can't part with any plants but anyone with heirloom seeds or plants or any salvias i would like to start growing them so if anyone would like to get rid of some let me know or i would be more then happy to pay a little for them . feel free to p.m me

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao skraps-

I've been doing work over in the shade garden and if you need some homes for your bleeding hearts, I'll take them to fill in some spots. I should also have some peppers if you'd be interested in any of those.

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey again;

The location is 46 Mc Murchy Ave S.
    A map can be found here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Brampton&state=ON&address=46+McMurchy+Avenue+S&zipcode=L6Y&country=CA&latitude=43.67658&longitude=-79.75948&geocode=ADDRESS

It is part of a neighbourhood sports complex... there is an ice rink behind the Curling Club called "memorial" (they share the same drive way/ access road). And lots of baseball diamonds off in the adjacent field. I am going to set up in the parking lot by the curling club, but away from the building... It can't be missed.

This weekend I am going to go through the recent posts and regroup, getting organized...

• Anisten
    14 years ago

Thank you Skraps. Will be seeing you all on Saturday.

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Skraps.

I would really like some Bee Balm. Another member is bringing me some too, but I really could use a fair bit, I just love the stuff!!

I have Crazy Daisies to offer, and may have Dahlias, although I am not sure if I have anymore Lilac Time or Moms Special, the others are large dahlias too, near dinner plates, and where from my MILS gardens last year, mixed colours, I remember seeing them and thinking they where beautiful, but I can't say what variety or type exactly they where...

I was not the one with the Currents...

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao all-

I just wanted to update people on a few new things I'll be bringing on Saturday:

Picotee Cosmos
    Sweet Annie Variegated Artemesia (good for wreath-making)
    Sage babies
    Creeping Jenny

Skraps, I'll take your columbine and lady's mantle if you have enough.

• skraps
    14 years ago

homemommy..Sure I will bring you bee balm for carzy Daisy
    sorellina:columbine ,ladys mantle anna belle highranger---for datra swirl

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao all-

Ok, I think I've got all of this straight, but I wanted to put it all in one place so I have it for tomorrow. These are my trades as I know them:

With Wildflower:

Giving: golden raspberries, red rubin basil, strawberries, peppers

Getting: peonies, asparagus

With Thehills:

Giving: golden raspberries, +/- strawberries

Getting: purple/blue iris, 2 year rooted red currants, blue queen salvia

With HomeMommy:

Giving: heirloom tomatoes, strawberries

Getting: double decker coneflower, mini rose, +/- blue/purple clematis

With Skraps:

Giving: heirloom sauce tomatoes, I'm not the one with the datura swirl..I can't grow daturas because I have pets and a young child. Have a look at all the other stuff I'm bringing because heirloom tomatoes were all I had from your wants list.

Getting: Anna Bell hydrangea, +/- bleeding hearts, +/- lady's mantle, +/- pink columbine

With Sunita:

Giving: yellow yarrow, pink soapwort, +/- purple violets

Getting: we hadn't discussed a trade and I've totally forgotten what you're bringing, so I'll have to look that up and ask you in a follow-up post.

The +/- things are either me being confused or a trade not confirmed, so any of you who are trading with me and you see a +/- thingie next to the stuff I either asked about or we both did, just confirm if that's what you want or if it's cool that I get what I asked for.

Does that make sense? Sheesh, I'm getting more confused as I write this!

• sorellina
    14 years ago

..con't:

With Wildflower:

Getting: White Phlox..I forgot to mention that above.

With Sunita:

Getting: Columbines (I seem to have a columbine-growing disability, so hopefully these take)

Ok, that's it! Time to label pots once it dries out!

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wish I had time over the last few days to post these... But I have been working outside of the gardens just plain off my feet!! Anyway, I am going to do a final list of what the planned exchanges are:

Wildflower's Exchanges:

With Sorellina:

Giving: White Phlox, and all peony varieties.
    Asparagus (posted May 3rd, 12:49)

Receiving: Golden Rasperries, Basil and Strawberries.
    (Newer Request, Peppers from Sorellina Posted April 14th 21:17)

With The Hills:

The Has Offered you Bergenia Roots Tentative Salvia Blue Queen Possibly Basils.

You are Bringing The Hills White Phlox.

With Sunita:

You are bringing Sunita White and Pink Phlox, Heirloom Tomatoes

Sunita is giving you Caster Beans, salvias and datura.

With Home Mommy

I am bringing you Green Hosta, Dahlia and Canna. I have a fern for you!

I have asked for Phlox (any colours you can spare) Peonies and Lupins.

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wildflower:
    Your above list is correct ;-)

With The Hills:
    Your above list is correct, The Hills does not need your Strawberries.

With HomeMommy (Me)

Your above list is correct. I am going to go look at the Clematis right now and see if there is a good piece I can get for you ;-) If not too late, I would like some Creeping Jenny. (no need to confirm, either you have it or don't at the exchange).

With Skraps:

Bringing columbine ,ladys mantle anna belle highranger---for datra swirl (Has not replied yet on if the columbine / ladies mantle and bleeding hearts are good without the datura swirl, as you do not have it!) (So the Anna Belle is confirmed for Tomatoes, the others are not).

With Sunita: Indeed, it does look like the Violets where not confirmed.... Perhaps bring them and we can try to rehome them if Sunita does not want them... I know people that will take them, although they may not be coming to the exchange...

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

With Wildflower

Bringing Bergenia tubers from prior trade, Salvia "Blue Queen" and possibly some basils.

Recieving from Wildflower, white phlox no longer looking for pink peony).

giving Sorellina Tall bearded Iris 12+ set aside, also Salvia and Currants.

Receiving from Sorellina - Golden Raspberries (no need for strawberries)

Giving Homemommy - Monarda Didyma Bee Balm Division

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i am so sorry all!! I am just plain out of time to try and update everyone lists... my advice is if in doubt, bring the plant... We can sort it out at the exchange... I am bringing paper, sharpies and lables for the pots!

See you tommorow!

• skraps
    14 years ago

Thanks -you all for the swap and a special thanks to homemommy for aranging the swap its was good to meet you all. Happy gardening...

Sponsored
ABC Glass and Mirror
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars46 Reviews
Northern Virginia Leading Shower Glass and Mirror Designer
More Discussions