Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanumi

HAVE: Castor bean

nanumi
15 years ago

I have lots of castor beans to give away. They are leftovers from my garden from last season. I've started new ones for this season and almost all of them took off - I have too many of those already growing, too. If there is anyone interested in the already growing ones and in my vicinity (Mississauga/Brampton) - come and get them. I can mail beans with SASE.

Comments (22)

• gardeng8

nanumi, I would love some of your caster bean seeds for sase....sent you an email. Thanks, Carol

• gardeng8

Thank you nanumi for the castor bean seeds! Looking forward to seeing these in the garden. Sincerely, Carol

• gardeng8

nanumi, I would love some of your caster bean seeds for sase....sent you an email. Thanks, Carol

• gardeng8

Thank you nanumi for the castor bean seeds! Looking forward to seeing these in the garden. Sincerely, Carol

• gardeng8

• gardeng8

• mizcupcake
    15 years ago

I am from Belleville and will be working in your area the 1st wk of May(4th to the 8th) and would love to have a few of the already growing ones if possible....please give me an address and a time that would be convenient.

Many thanks Brenda

• homemommy
    15 years ago

I spent all last summer totally taken aback by this wonderful tropical looking plant growing in gardens all over the place! I was convinced it must be a tuber like a Canna! I was searching Costco just the other day to see if amoung the Dahlias, Cannas and Elephants ears, there may be some of these... Not having a name I did not have much of a jumping off place to start looking!!

Low and behold, I was being offered this plant every time I turned around, "would you like some Castor Beans?" um ah.. no, I am not that much of a bean person!!

I would love to get some of your castor beans. I am in Brampton and can pick up anywhere in Brampton, if you are Missisauga way then I can send a SASE...

With many thanks if you still have some available!

• nyssaman
    15 years ago

HomeMommy.. I'm not sure if you know this already but Castor Bean is NOT an edible Bean. Castor Bean is extremely "Deadly" and all it would take is one seed eaten to be fatal. Also it is not the best plant to have growing in your garden if you have small children. It does have great tropical effect ..just a word of caution.

• homemommy
    15 years ago

I had read about its poisonous properties... I would not plant it in any of the gardens near the childrens play areas, and would likely remove the seed heads even though i find them rather atractive... I just love the foliage...

Thanks for showing such concern and consideration...

• origami_master
    15 years ago

nyssaman beat me to it. It is deadly lethal. The way that the toxin works cannot bet reversed and there are no antidotes. In case you were wondering, ricin comes from this plant (hence all the ricin fears when someone finds a packet of white powder). castor oil also comes from this plant, but there is no ricin found in the oil.

I found that the plant develops a tap root, and can help to break up soil. I had a really bad bed, and didn't know what to plant so I grew one of these. They got taller than me (I'm 6'2) despite not being watered and in full sun in clay. The leaves were at least two feet in diameter from tip to tip. The main 'trunk' which got to at least 2 inches in diameter stayed standing through winter. When I finally got around to removing it a few weeks ago, I found these thick roots (sorta like a dahlia tuber on steroids lol). Really easy to grow. The most common variety I've seen around are the red leafed ones, but I've heard the green variety will grow bigger. The green ones have black seeds, but the red ones have brown seeds with markings on them.

• nanumi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Homemommy, please email me with your email address to send you my address.
    Brenda, you have mail.

• sunnybun
    15 years ago

nanumi, do you have any castor bean seeds left?? I grow them in large pots and put them around the garden. You can have a look at my list to see if there`s anything you`d like. Let me know K?! Would like a big trade if possible :)
    sunnybun

• nanumi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sunnybun, you have mail.

• shay
    14 years ago

Hi..hoping you have a couple more to adopt out! I will send you an email.

• sunnybun
    14 years ago

nanumi I`ve sent a bubble enve. with postage.
    Thanks
    sunnybun

• nanumi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sunnybun, Shay, I have some left for you and waiting for SASE.
    nanumi

• xenon13
    14 years ago

I know I'm kinda late jumping in here, but if you have any beans left, I'd love to have some for sase. Let me know,

Thanks bunches,
    Sherry

• keiaraa
    14 years ago

I have some caster bean seeds (red, based on their brown seeds with markings, as described above) and a couple seedlings. The seeds were given to me a few years or so ago, but seem to be ok, 2 out of the 3 seeds I first planted have sprouted into large seedlings and I'm seeing some signs of activity in the pots for the second batch.

• bestwitches
    14 years ago

Do you have any caster bean seeds left? I would love some if you do. Please let me know. Thanks.

• xenon13
    14 years ago

Hi nanumi,
    I never heard back from you if you have any of your castor bean seeds left. I'd love some if you do.

Thanks,
    Sherry

• sunnybun
    14 years ago

Got the seeds nanumi, thanks very much. I have some germinating now :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions