Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyssaman

WANTED: Spring Swap/Barbecue London/Springbank Park

nyssaman
15 years ago

I'm just wondering if anyone would be interested in a spring tailgate swap/Barbecue in London @ Springbank Park - lets say the 2nd weekend in June. This swap would be for anyone in the southwestern Ontario region. Because of the short time frame please post ASAP your interest in this possible event. They do have barbecues there also. I would need some help with the planning and execution of the swap so if you are interested please notify me.

cheers

Jeff

Comments (150)

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Ross--thanks so much for the blue cadet hosta. I will have rudbeckia cappucino for you in exchange.
    thanks!

Merja--that's okay--don't feel bad at all! :) I have done pretty well the same thing to people, and they (hopefully) were okay with it. I figure the day I become 'perfect' is the day I will start getting annoyed about such things. :)Thanks for the digitalis snow thimble and yes the coreopsis would be great also, if you are able to see something on my list.
    I will probably be able to list more things in a while....maybe by tomorrow after work.

gg

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

I just wanted to post an updated list. I had to do something this afternoon but was home and able to go and look at what needed thinning/moving/dividing etc.

--yellow loosestrife
    --tall white phlox
    --chives
    --garlic chives
    --walking onions
    --little princess spirea seedlings(a couple of years old)
    --one explosive embers pepper (ornamental, but have read that it is edible)
    --one potted maple tree seedling(second year)
    --one small golden bluebeard seedling (second year)
    --sweet woodruff
    --virginia bluebells
    --hardy geranium NOID--small pink flowers
    --tansy
    --comfrey
    --small perennial candytuft
    --small yew seedling (several yrs old but in a bad spot and not growing very fast--needs new home-approx 10" tall)
    --small catmint
    --small pot pink lily of the valley--ONE only
    --small (approx 4") white rose of sharon. two only
    --liriope-blue
    ***Wintersown seedlings that are still small and some are offered as chunks(not big chunks, but with enough little seedlings to give a good start:

--Lychnis luminaÂsalmon shades----pot with a couple of seedlingsÂmaybe three
    --Lychnis flo jovis-peggy---pot with maybe three
    --Maltese crossÂÂchunkÂ
    --MignonetteÂÂchunkÂ
    --Impatiens balfouriiÂpot with three or fourÂthese are tall right nowÂmaybe four inches
    --Verbena bonariensisÂÂchunkÂ
    --VerbascumÂpossibly white blush(not sure though)ÂÂchunkÂ-*lots*
    --RudbeckiaÂcappuccinoÂpotted singly in small pots (Activia cups)
    --German catchflyÂÂchunkÂ
    --CatchflyÂÂchunkÂ
    --Purple perillaÂÂchunkÂ
    --BuddleiaÂpurple prince---ÂchunkÂ
    --hollyhock--'queeny purple'--3 in one pot

anyone interested in african violets? I have three babies (one each in an Activia cup)that I potted about a month ago after they grew from a leaf.

gg

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Heather, I checked out the hosta. One of them is do-able--I can slice off a chunk for you, so could I trade it for the raspberry parfait? It is fairly large--bright green leaves that look very wrinkled. The other one really doesn't look like there is anything that would be good to slice off right now--and the leaves look awful--the hail on Saturday afternoon shredded them....it is in the front of the house and up against the house--the other is out back and not under any kind of protection and it is fine...no hail damage. Would you take the spirea for the other hosta.
    Let me know....thanks :)
    Lois

• barb_from_london
    15 years ago

Hi Jeff,

Sounds good! Goji berry for Rodgersia aesculifolia seedling!

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Greylady gardner I would love to trade my Cuban oregano for your Impatiens balfourii.

Mike

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Greylady,

Please dont cut your hostas unless you are sure that they are of an age to split them. You can still have the two hostas (Raspberry Parfait and the spoon shaped yellowy green one ) I have on offer. We can do some virginia bluebells for one trade (I would love some of them ) and the other a princess spirea seedling. I dont want you to risk losing your hostas if they are not ready to split .

I am curious to know what a one small golden bluebeard seedling is ? This sounds intriguing to me .

Signet

• flowergirl_on
    15 years ago

Graylady: Thank you for being so understanding. I would love to have a golden bluebeard seedling and hollyhock 'Queeny Purple' for coreopsis and digitalis 'Snow Thimble', if it's okay with you.

Merja

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi signet-- I don't have a problem with cutting the one. It isn't new and has been in that spot for several years--divided a couple of times--I cut off a small piece last year and that is probably why it is a bit lopsided (if you look under the leaves) and has a piece that could be cut off to even it up. :), so if you still want it, let me know. Otherwise I will do the Virginia bluebells and the spirea. Just let me know positively.
    Thanks very much for the hostas!
    the golden bluebeard is a 'caryopteris-golden bluebeard'--I should have put the caryopteris in there but somehow didn't. The one I was offering has just been spoken for by flowergirl, but I do have another very small one, that I wasn't offering because it is kind of misshapened, in case you are interested.

flowergirl--confirming my hollyhock'queeny purple' and golden bluebeard for your coreopsis and digitalis 'snow thimble' thanks! :)
    gg

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi mike,
    I will set aside the impatiens balfourii for your cuban oregano. Thanks!
    gg

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

My list--current as of Monday morning! :)

--yellow loosestrife
    --tall white phlox
    --chives
    --garlic chives
    --walking onions
    --little princess spirea seedlings(a couple of years old)
    --one potted maple tree seedling(second year)
    --sweet woodruff
    --hardy geranium NOID--small pink flowers
    --tansy
    --comfrey
    --small perennial candytuft
    --small yew seedling (several yrs old but in a bad spot and not growing very fast--needs new home-approx 10" tall & bushy)
    --small catmint
    --small pot pink lily of the valley--ONE only
    --small (approx 4") white rose of sharon. two only
    --liriope-blue
    --one NOID tree approx 15" tall found in my 'jungle' area :)) (I'm thinking mountain ash but have to check the leaves later.)

***Wintersown seedlings that are still small and some are offered as chunks(not big chunks, but with enough little seedlings to give a good start:

--Lychnis luminaÂsalmon shades----pot with a couple of seedlingsÂmaybe three
    --Lychnis flo jovis-peggy---pot with maybe two or three
    --Maltese crossÂÂchunkÂ
    --MignonetteÂÂchunkÂ
    --Impatiens balfourii--3 in pot
    --Verbena bonariensisÂÂchunkÂ
    --VerbascumÂpossibly white blush(not sure though)ÂÂchunkÂ-*lots*
    --German catchflyÂÂchunkÂ
    --CatchflyÂÂchunkÂ
    --Purple perillaÂ-3 in pot
    --buddleia-purple prince-you can choose 'chunk' or one that has been potted singly....they are all about an inch tall.
    anyone interested in african violets? I have three babies (one each in an Activia cup)that I potted about a month ago after they grew from a leaf. I would even be interested in a houseplant in ex. (three for one if it is a plant that I don't have.)these are either a very dark purple or a med. purple with a white variegation in the petals(not the leaves)

gg

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Greylady,

I am at 6's and seven's as to what to do . Is it possible to see a picture of your hosta? If I already have that particular kind then I would go with the spirea and the bluebells. However on looking over your list again , I would also be interested in some Lirope . Is there something else I could trade for that ? How about a small "Twist of Lime " Hosta ? let me know please.

Flowergirl: I would still like the LA Hybrid lily 'Iceberg' .If I have it , I have no idea where it is. Maybe it didnt make it where it was planted . So if we can do this one that would be great . let me know what you would like in trade for it .

Thanks
    signet

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi signet,
    I would love to trade the liriope for the 'twist of lime' hosta, so I am confirming that for you. If you have lots, and could spare another one, then I would love another for the larger hosta if you want to do that. (No worries if you can't :))I will try and borrow my daughter's camera later on tonight and see if I can send you a pic of it.
    gg

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

_________STILL AVAILABLE_________

flowering size PURPLE COLUMBINE plants
    JAPANESE KERRIA
    YELLOW CALLA LILLIES
    1 LIGHT PURPLE LILAC
    BLUE CADET HOSTA DIVISIONS
    1 CAMPSIS RADICANS TRUMPET VINE
    1 POTTED BACHELOR BUTTONS (FLOWERING SIZE)
    1 SMALL POTTED PINK SHRUBROSE
    1 YUCCA DIVISION
    2 POTTED AGAPANTHUS
    1 SMALL BEARS BREECHES DIVISION
    1 SMALL VARIEGATED SEDUM
    2 BLUE ACONITUM (MONKSHOOD) DIVISION
    LUNARIA
    FORGET ME NOTS
    BRIGHT LEMONY YELLOW NOID DAYLILLY DIVISIONS

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Ross, Is your variegated sedum tall or is it the short(creeping)type? If it is the tall kind, then I would be interested in trading if there is something on my list that interests you.
    I am also interested in a lunaria and an agapanthus if you can find some other things that interest you.
    let me know...thanks,
    gg

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Me again ,

Anyone interested in Lungwort? I have 3 kinds , the one that changes from pink to blue or blue to pink ( I can never remember) , a dark purple , and a bright pink one.. Let me know

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Rosco_p

WEll , I think I would like to try a kerria again . I have told myself no a bijillion times but I keep coming back to it on your list . Is there something on my list that you might consider in trade?

Please let me know

Thanks
    Signet

• barb_from_london
    15 years ago

Hi guys,
    I'm adding the following to the trade list:

Helleborus foetidus seedlings
    Impatiens niammensis (Congo Cockatoo)
    Phytolacca clavigera seedlings
    Heuchera villosum var. microrrhizum seedlings

Probably more to follow

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Nyssaman! :)
    Do you have a list of what food is coming? I am trying to decide what to bring and would like to see what we need to fill in the bare spots.
    thanks,
    gg

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi again, Jeff. forgot to say that if there is anything that you need help with just let me know.
    gg

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Barb in London,

I am interested in your Impatiens niammensis (Congo Cockatoo)and Phytolacca clavigera . I dont have anything quite as exotic as this but is there anything on my trade list that you might consider in trade for these ?

Thanks

Signet

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi nyssaman--would you still have any 'hibiscus acetosella' left? Is there anything I have that you would trade for one?

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm still running the planting marathon, but it looks like the following will be available for swap. Ones marked with an asterisk are specials, only for items on my wish list.

Achillia "cassis"
    * Agapanthus unknown cross of "Loch Hope" fully hardy. set of 3 small seedlings
    Agastache "tutti frutti" (set of 2)
    Asclepias curresavia (2)
    Asclepias incarnata "Soulmate" (purple pink flowers) 1 pot of 4 small seedlings
    Calaminta (set of 2)
    Carthamus (Safflower) set of 3 small seedlings
    Carthamus tinctorius (Safflower) set of 3 small seedlings
    *Cdn. wild ginger (1 piece)
    Ceanothus americanus (New Jersey Tea) many small seedlings
    *Cercocarpus montanus (Mountain mahogany) (1 small)
    Digitalis carillon (set of 3 small)
    Digitalis lanata (set of 3 small)
    Digitalis obscura (set of 3 small)
    Fibigia clypeata (Roman Shields) (2)
    Ipomopsis rubra (scarlet gillia) lots of volunteers
    Linum Perennial flax "Sapphire" (set of 4 small)
    Mirabilis "limelight" (2)
    Morning Glory "crimson rambler) set of 3
    Penstemon barbatus (several small seedlings)
    Petunia, old fashioned climbing (6 seedlings)
    * Purshia tridentata (Bitterbrush) 2 small seedlings
    * Rodgersia some kind of fingerleaf var. 1 small clump
    Rudbeckia "Irish Eyes" 1 med. size
    Salvia "purple knockout" (1)
    Salvia "Snow Nymph" (set of 3)
    Santolina rosemarinifolia 1 x 4" pot
    Shasta Daisy "Snowdrop" 1 4'" pot
    Silybum marianum (St. Mary's milk thistle) 1 med.
    Stocks 10 week, mixed (set of 3)
    Verbascum probably from "Banana Custard" (set of 3)

I'm looking for:

Arenaria/sandwort (white)
    Bellis perennis (no volunteers, and only one left!)
    Camassia
    Centranthus (red valerian / Jupiters beard)
    Ceratostigma (any, hardy)
    Cleome any kind (gaack, I forgot to sow these, and I didn't look for volunteers)
    Gooseberry or other berry bushes
    Liatris (any, divison, not seedling)
    Rosemary herb
    Russian sage
    Sanguisorba
    Shrubs
    Verbena Bonariensis (amazingly, no volunteers this year)
    Veronica, any pink coloured

All for now,

Bev

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Bev,
    would it be possible for you to find something on my list that you would trade for your salvia 'snow nymph' and your salvia 'purple knockout'? I do have some WS verbena bonariensis seedlings that are still small, but the ones that I planted out a little over a week ago are taking off, so these should too.
    Lois

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi again Bev, could you please add digitalis 'lanata' to my list with the both the salvias? I really hope there is something that interests you. I do have an over grown russian sage that I have been contemplating digging out. Maybe there are some volunteers around it. (I didn't look when I was trimming it down.)
    Lois

• nyssaman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Bev,

I'm interested in your:
    Ipomopsis rubra
    Ceanothus americanus
    Asclepias curresavia
    Digitalis obscura
    Penstemon barbatus
    Do you still have a extra Stevia seedling

not sure if I have anything you would be interested in let me know.

cheers

Jeff

• nyssaman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

G.G. - Food is as follows

Frogged: is bringing the potato salad
    Signet: is bringing the Barbecue & and a dessert
    Ross: is bringing hotdogs and buns
    Mike: if he has a ride is bringing pasta or chick pea salad and some juice
    Blue Iris: is bringing a drunken potato salad

A seedling will be set aside for you GG of Hibiscus acetelossa for the Maltese cross.

Cheers

Jeff

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Bev,

I possibly have some sanguisorba that I could trade for Asclepias curresavia . I will have to go look at my plants
    I may also have some gooseberry and currant bushes but again will have to check before I can commit to it . I would be interested in your Rodgersia some kind of fingerleaf var. 1 small clump and Mirabilis "limelight if I do . I will get back to you by tomorrow with availability as I am out for a bit today sometime .

signet

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Greylady/Lois: I would take three of your Spirea "little princess" seedlings (if you have that many) and a chunk of your Verbena Bon. for the Salvia (Purple Knockout & Snow Nymph), the Lorraine Sunshine, and the Digitalis lanata.
    Jeff: I didn't grow the Stevia this year. Sorry. I will check this very long thread to see what you have in trade for me.

Signet: Will wait for your update.

Bev

• flowergirl_on
    15 years ago

Hi Bev,
    I am interested in digitalis obscura. I have self-seeded cleome if you would like that as a trade. I could bring you a bunch.

Signet:
    Yes, I will bring you LA Hybrid lily 'Iceberg'. I'll give you a one big one and some smaller ones to go with it. If you want to give a daylily 'Fuss and Bother' for it, that would be great. Even I shouldn't take any more daylilies, you know, but I can't help myself. This is what I have for you this far:
    pink lily
    orange asiatic lily, punch of small ones
    walking onions
    mini tan iris
    mauve/pink historic iris
    LA Hybrid lily 'Iceberg'
    lupine seedlings

From you (can you confirm, if this is ok with you):
    pink/white lily
    lily Philos
    Black Cherry tomato
    daylily 'Fuss and Bother'
    tomato Muchamiel
    geranium 'Vancouver Centennial'
    geranium 'Indian Dunes'

Merja

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Thanks for the list of food, Jeff. Do you have any idea how many of us there will be? If there are going to be lots then I would bring more hot dogs, but if not then I may lean toward drinks and some munchies.not sure though, so will give it more thought.

ROSS--I have confirmed my WS rudbeckia cappuccino for your hosta blue cadet, but did you see my message above regarding your variegated sedum, lunaria and agapanthus?

SIGNET--My daughter tells me that the batteries need replacing in her camera! GGGGRRR!! I need to get my own! :)
    The hosta seems like a pretty common one. I would imagine that it is any way. It has bright green wrinkled leaves. My mom had it for years before I got a piece and now mine is fairly old.

BEV--I did check and there are enough little princess spirea for you to have three, and I will also set aside some verbena bonariensis for you.

EVERYONE please check out my list--surely someone wants something else!! :)

gg

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Sorry Jeff, I did mean to say thanks and confirm the trade of your hibiscus acetosella seedling, for my maltese cross 'chunk'
    gg

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

Greylady-gardener: Sorry it took some time to get back to you!! I can set aside the VARIEGATED SEDUM, AGAPANTHUS and a LUNARIA for you. I'm not sure if you have any of these left or not but from your list if you have any CANDY TUFT or IMPATIENS or VERBENA that would be good.

SIGNET: So you would like to try KERRIA again?? I will set some aside for you. If you still have any LUNGWORT that would be nice??

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Thanks Ross:
    confirming-- your variegated sedum, agapanthus & lunaria for my perennial candytuft, impatiens balfourii (pot of 2 or 3) and a WS 'chunk, of verbena bonariensis
    plus your hosta 'blue cadet' for my WS seedling of rudbeckia 'cappuccino'.

Thanks for the trade. :)
    Lois

• nyssaman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI Bev

I have some Red elderberry seedlings to start but I have still have to organize a little more - I have been working on my gardens at the new house. I also have some native coneflowers green and grey I believe but I have to check.

Jeff

• blueiris3
    15 years ago

Hi Bev,

I have lots of winter sowed purple cleome and several indoors grown bellis seedlings if you would like them. I'd love some of your ceanothus seedlings.

Cheers,
    Heather

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Heather/blueiris, I just wanted to confirm our trade. I wasn't sure if you had tried to reply to my last e-mail or not, so thought that I would ask here. The e-mails can sometimes go missing. :)
    Lois

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

HiBlueiris ,

Signet here . I would love some of your winter sowed purple cleome . Is there anything else on my list that might interest you ?

Nyssaman: I would REALLY REALLY like to work a trade with you for some of your Red Mulberries please. What can I do to convince you to take something from my list ?

Rosco_p : Lungwort for Kerria .....Lovely and thanks for being so kind as to trade one of these with me !

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Oh darn , I knew I shouldnt have sent that last message I wasnt finished.

Greylady , if you should have some Russian Sage baby volunteers, I would love to trade for some please.

Ok now I am done ! ( I think)

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Bev,

I have separated a sanguisorba from the mother plant for you . I also have 4 gooseberry/currant bush volunteers ( good size) if you are interested . It is a little difficult to tell currant from gooseberry when they are small plants however I am going to say best guess from check the leaves that there is two of each .

Anyway if you are interested I would trade you for the rogersia , mirabilis Limelight and I was wondering if you would have any blue bells available ...I know they are not on your trade list. The ones I traded with you from before didnt survive and I would love to try again . Let me know please if you are interested in these .

Signet

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Hi Jeff, No thanks to the red elderberryÂI already have an elderberry.

Hi Heather/Blueiris: excellent! You sowed the seeds I forgot to sow! You can have four Ceanothus for a few Cleomes and Bellis

Hi Barb/Signet: Deal. Sanguisorba and gooseberry/currant seedlings for Rogersia and 2 Mirabilis limelight. We'll need some really warm weather for these to fatten up before June 14th. Nothing is dying, but nothing is growing Oh, and I don't have any bluebells. I somehow never got these established. Heather/Blueiris had some seeds for Texas BluebonnetsÂdon't know if they ever became seedlings.

Merja/Flowergirl: okay, you get Digitalis obscura and I'll have some of your Cleome volunteers.

Adding to my available list:

- lots of tiny tree seedlings: Sycamore, collected in Calton Swamp, near Tillsonburg
    - a pot three small seedlings of Cotoneaster repens

- Bev

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Bev ,

Signet here, by the way , my name is Heather not Barb I will set aside the Sanguisorba and 1 gooseberry and 1 currant seedling for the Rogersia and the Miarbilis Limelight . Thanks

Heather aka Signet

• nyssaman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have 4 lions tail or wild Dagga (Leonotis leonurus) seedlings - first choice goes to Bev on these.

Weather wise it would appear that June 14th may be a wet day - I will look for a sheltered area in the park and then see if I have to reserve it just in case. Even though were all sweet people were not made of icing sugar so I know we won't melt

Cheers

Jeff

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Jeff,

If Bev doesnt take all the Leonotis leonurus seedlings , I would be interested please. In one anyway if possible. Thanks

Signet

• nyssaman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Signet: I'll set one aside for you Heather for now - they are a foot high.

Jeff

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

SIGNET--I will look tomorrow and see if there are any babies of the Russian sage.

I would like to add a couple of things ot my trade list.

One is a passionflower that I grew from seed started in March. It is approx 10-11 inches tall right now .

the second is a cutting taken yesterday of a plectranthus 'mona lavender' plant that was sent to me by a very generous member of GW. I rooted the two cuttings sent to me and now they are large enough to take a cutting so I have to offer 'one cutting--unrooted for now but it is in a pot. I was so happy to get this plant so it is kind of special to me. do you have something a bit different and special that you would like to trade for it?
    gg

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

forgot that I wanted to add a link to show you what this plant looks like.

Here is a link that might be useful: plectranthus mona lavender

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Greylady,

It's so hard to say if I have anything special or different to trade for your plectranthus. Special or different can mean different things to different people ...so what I might consider special or different perhaps is common in your estimation. What might you consider special or different? I just might have some ...or what would you like in trade if you had your d'ruthers? Let some suggestions fly and I will see if I have something that you might like for it .

Nyssaman : THANK YOU SO MUCH ! I have wanted this plant Leonotis leonuris for a very long time . Never thought I would get one in a trade. What am I trading you for it ?

Signet

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Heather, I didn't mean to make you feel that I was talking directly to you and making you feel obligated to consider this particular plant. :)After all, you are right, and everyone has different ideas about what is special and you may not think the plectranthus 'mona lavender' is as great as I do.;-) I just reread it and it does sound like I was targeting you, so I hope you don't feel uncomfortable and like you have to find something to trade for the plant. The first part about the russian sage was for you. The next part about the 'special trade' was just thrown out there for anyone who might know the plant and want it as much as I did, or see the plant on the link and then decide that they would like it. I guess I rambled on about it(then and now-ha ha) because I had mixed feelings about letting any part of it go after looking for it for so long, but would if someone let me know that they really wanted it and/or had been looking for it for a while like I had been.
    I will leave it that if you want the plant, just please forget what I said in the original post and treat it like any other offer, and forgive my ramblings....If you don't want the plant that is okay too. It will still be on my trade list. I must have been too tired to post, and should have been in bed. LOL!
    gg

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Greylady ,

No worries, the plant interests me. Really! but I have no idea what I can offer in trade. What are you looking for /what would you like ?

Let me know please and thank you .

Signet

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Signet you an e-mail. I finally got some pics for you. :)
    gg

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions