Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

WANTED: London African Violet Society

mdahms1979
12 years ago

I was hoping some of our London members might be able to tell me if there is still an active African Violet Society in the city? The web site has been down for years and I don't have contact info for anyone.

I was hoping to meet some other Gesneriad growers. I am mostly interested in species but I do have lots of hybrid Kohleria. I am looking for other local growers to talk to and to trade plants with.

Mike

Comments (5)

• barb_from_london
    12 years ago

Hi Mike,
    I don't know about the African Violet Society in London, but recently I signed up for the Toronto Gesneriad Society. I haven't been able to make it out to any of the meetings yet, and the next one is June 12, which is the day of the Springbank Plant Exchange, so I won't be able to make it out then either. I can send you the information if you want, then at least you can email them and ask about the London AV Society, or any other Gessie orgs in the area. Or if you're able to, maybe you could go to the meeting yourself! Let me know if you'd like me to email you the latest newsletter from the TGS.
    BTW, the notice about the Hoya order went into the May ORGHPS Journal, so I hope you got a few replies from the members there.

Barb

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Barb

I have checked out the Toronto Gesneriad Society's site in the past and was very impressed. There is also a Lake Shore African Violet Society as well.
    I am a member of the Gesneriad Society so I have access to an amazing seed bank but still it's fun to join the local clubs if they exist.

I did not join in the Hoya order this time around but there were lots of people signed up. I have so many Hoyas now that I thought I should hold off getting many more.

Mike

• Trailers
    12 years ago

Does anyone know if this group is still here in London?
    I was there a couple of times with my A/v's and I now have
    well over 100 plants and wondered if any of their members
    were interested in purchasing some. I have standards, semi-mini's and trailers.
    They can e-mail me at twofelines2@hotmail.com
    Thank you.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't think the London group is still together.
    The Toronto groups show is coming up the last weekend in March at the Toronto Botanical Gardens and the Gesneriad Society Convention is going to be in Toronto this year as well so it should be a great year.

Mike

• brightmeadow
    12 years ago

Hi Mike:

I was the founder of the London African Violet Society in 1980. I have since moved to BC. However, I am still in contact with my friends there. Although they are not meeting in the building they were at before and have closed down their website, they are still meeting informally in their homes. I will send you a PM with a telephone number.
    Shirley

Sponsored
More Discussions