Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Have: Hoya Clippings, Want: Strong balcony tomato (Van)

Posted by steveluscher BC (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 18:29

I have a beautiful, fragrant, low-maintenance, prolific Hoya plant. I would be willing to trade a clipping of this plant for a tomato plant for my balcony.

I'm looking for a tomato that will do well on a balcony with south exposure. Extra points for neat heritage varieties of tomato something with a backstory or a neat quirk.

Photo of the hoya here: http://steveluscher.com/hoya.jpg
Send a link to a photo of your tomato!

I live right in the middle of Downtown Vancouver.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Have: Hoya Clippings, Want: Strong balcony tomato (Van

Wish I had of seen this before I planted all my seeds. I have a " Fiji Cannibal tomatoe " and it is not only one that you grow on your balcony but also you can keep all winter long inside. ALSO..you can eat the leaves of this one. Now, yes I've planted these in my containers but I can keep seeds to them for you if you wish. ( If I get tomatoes that is? ) You could grow them for next year. Here is some information on them I think you will find just up your alli. LOL

Native to the South Pacific Fijian islands. Uses are similar to common tomato. Leaves are eaten as salad greens. In Fiji, legend has it that among cannibal tribes, the cannibal's tomato was regarded as the perfect sauce for the consumption of human flesh. Fruits can be used cooked like the common tomato. Grows well in any rich, well drained soil in a sunny spot. If grown as a perennial in pots, keep plants warm (minimum of 59 degrees F., 15C) and sunny in winter, reduce watering. It can also be grown as a houseplant in the winter in a sunny, warm window. The Cannibal's Tomato can be grown as an annual as well. Sow in spring at 68 degrees F., 20C under glass, transplant seedlings after the last cold nights end of spring to early summer. Seedlings are fast growing and fruit towards the end of summer.

Let me know if this is what your looking for? :0) I have a picture if you want to see what size they are too.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here