Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

WANTED: Enough people for a Montreal area plant swap?

bonniepunch
16 years ago

I know there are several GWers in Quebec, and the very eastern tip of Ontario - are there enough of us in the Montreal area to have a swap?

BP

Comments (32)

• welham
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd love one. I live in the West Island.

Lakshmi

• anemone
    16 years ago

Hi,

I am on the south shore and I'd love a plant swap

Anemone

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I didn't do more asking around about a plant swap - I got sidetracked with a leaking hot water heater!

Anyhow - we might have enough people for a small one at least. I'll hunt around some other sites and see if I can't find enough interest to make it worthwhile.

I'm downtown, in the Plateau and my big problem is that I don't have a car. I'll need to find someone I can bribe to drive me to a meeting place. And since I'm not that familiar with non-downtown sites, if anyone has a good suggestion as to a possible location, then suggest away!

If there enough people to get this off the ground, would the first, second or third weekend in June be good? Obviously we'd have to pick the time that most people can make.

And if anyone that's interested has and gardener friends that they would like to invite, then the more the merrier.

BP

• donna_jj
    16 years ago

I am just off the western tip of the island in Vaudreuil, would love a plant swap or plant sale with GWbers.

• primula_que
    16 years ago

I live in Ile Perrot. How about we meet in a park? Since Bonniepunch doesn't have a car we could meet on Mount Royal (close enough for you BP?). Any of the first three week-ends of June are fine with me. Let me know.

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It looks like there might be enough people to have a decent plant swap if we can find a good time for it. I'm sending an email to everyone that has expressed interest and we'll see if we can find a date and time we can all agree on. Check your email guys :-)

Anemone - For some reason GW is not allowing me to send you an email (getting an internal server error), so if you could email me I'll reply to that and send you the same thing I just sent the others!

BP

• welham
    16 years ago

I've never done a plant swap before. What kind of stuff are people looking for? Is it mostly established perennials?

I'm having a plant sale of my own this coming weekend (19th,20th) so if any of are interested you could stop by to do a swap instead of buying (link below). I have heirloom tomatoes, peppers, some established perennials as well as some new ones from bulbs/roots. I'd be interested in almost any kind of flowering perennial (especially ones that do well in shade/part-shade).

If not, I should be able to make most Saturdays. My preference would be in the West Island but I should be able to do downtown.

Lakshmi

Here is a link that might be useful: My Plant Sale

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anemone - I got your email and have responded.

Primula - got your response too.

So far this makes four of us that are interested and have responded. If that's enough to start with we can try to pick a date and place. There are a couple of other people I can mention this to and see if we can generate more interest. If you have any gardener friends or family that would be interested please mention it to them too!

Primula said for her, Saturdays are good if we meet downtown (the park) and Sundays are good if we meet in the West Island.

I can't make Saturday the 2nd - I'm going to Parc Safari (woohoo!) with some friends and their daughter - I haven't been since I was a kid so I really want to go! Any other day I can make provided I can get there (I don't have a car). I can offer to bribe someone to drive me if anyone is able to swing through the Plateau (as a bribe offer, I can make a wicked cheesecake or chocolate cherry truffles or all sorts of cookies or a lasagna... - I'm a good cook). I can get to Mount Royal Park on my own, but I can't get to the West Island without a lift.

If we wind up with a West Island meeting, perhaps Lakshmi could suggest a good place? I don't know the area well enough to suggest a good park or other meeting place that's got parking and is easy to find.

If we're going to go ahead with this, we'll need some ground rules too. I would suggest that we post what we have available or can divide or take cuttings from and start from there. We can make specific trades with specific people and we can also have a 'plant circle' where we put our extras and then take turns picking what we'd like.

As to what to trade - the usual basic starting thing is plain old plants. They can be perennials, bulbs, shrubs, veggies, seedlings, whatever. Just give a four or five word description as to the size and/or number - for example:
    *Tradescantia - 6" pot, mature perennial division.
    *Brandywine Tomato - one 6" seedling.
    *Forsythia - unrooted cuttings.
    *Calla lilies - pink flower, one sprouted bulb.

If people want, we could also specifically include or exclude seeds, gardening magazines, books, empty pots, compost...

If anyone has any suggestions, please go ahead and post them.

Lakshmi - I sure hope your plant sale goes well! The weather is starting to look like it might turn out to be all right after all! I wish I was closer - I'd love to drop by and check it out!

BP

• anemone
    16 years ago

Hi,

I definitely would prefer somewhere downtown. Could be June 9 or 10, 16 or 17.

I have a friend who would also like to participate.

Will check out what I could offer to trade and post here.

Anemone

• malevolent_triffid
    16 years ago

I haven't been around gardenweb for a while, but just discovered the Cdn forum and this post !

I'd have to scrabble to find plants to swap, but am definitely interested - even if only to meet fellow gardeners in Qc.

I'm rather North of Mtl, so would be driving to whereever, and am perfectly willing, indeed delighted to pickup anyone who needs a lift (either Ste-Adele and South down 15 and through Mtl, or Rawdon South down 25 and across ... Space for 3 adults and plants.

Sarah

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok - what if we set a tentative date of Saturday, June 9th? We can use the 10th as an alternate date, in case the weather looks really bad? That gives us lots of time to take cuttings and divide things, and find a few other people that might be interested.

If I have time I'll try to take a trip up to Mount Royal park and I'll see what the parking situation looks like - I can also take a couple of photos of some possible meeting areas so that if we settle on that spot as a meeting place we will know exactly where to hook up. (I may not have time to do this as DH has recent medical problems and we've been back and forth to emergency a lot - that has a real way of derailing plans lately!!!). If it looks like parking will be a hassle, we'll need to come up with a better location.

Malevolent_triffid (Sarah) - anyone with a plant or two to swap would be more than welcome! As long as those plants aren't real triffids :-) If you are able to make it, would your offer of a lift be good for my location? I live downtown, just a few blocks west of the mountain. I'm just searching out possibilities for a lift for now - if it's not easy for you to swing by this way, let me know :-)

BP

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a list of some things I have that are ready to go or that I can divide/root (I have multiples of some). I've given as much info as I have about the botanical name, the common name, the colour, size, and whatever else comes to mind:

*Belamcanda chinensis (Blackberry lily) - 6" pot
    *Iris pseudacorus (Yellow Flag Iris) - 6" pot (this is the flower that is believed to be the Fleur de Lys)
    *Matteuccia struthiopteris (Ostrich Fern)- 1 crown in a large 6" pot, (can dig up and pot up other runners as well)
    *Clematis integrifolia - 6" pot(started from seed last year, not a climbing Clematis!!)
    *Dahlia - white, 6" pot (recieved as roots last fall, no idea how big they get)
    *Zantedeschia elliotiana (Calla Lily) 'Flame' - 1 corm in a 6" pot (has spotted leaves)
    *Zantedeschia (Calla Lily) 'Crystal Blush' - 1 corm in a 6" pot
    *Asiatic lily - white, 1 bulb in a 6" pot
    *Convallaria majalis (Lily of the Valley) - white, not divided at the moment, but I have lots available
    *Agapanthus (Lily of the Nile) - tropical bulb, seedling started last year - 2-3 years of care required before it's big enough to flower. 2-3 seedlings in a 4" pot
    *Tanacetum balsamita (Costmary) - perennial herb with strong mint/medicinal scent. Have to divide.
    *Tradescantia (spiderwort) - pink. Have to divide.
    *Phalaris arundinacea (Ribbon Grass) - have to divide (can be invasive)
    *Liatris spicata - grown from seed sown in fall 2005. Should be purple, but no guarantees. 1 bulb per 4" pot
    *Hemerocallis (Daylily) 'Stella d'Oro' - divided last year - lots of small fans available.
    *Hemerocallis (Daylily) 'Pink Damask' - have to divide
    *Monarda (Bee Balm, Bergamot) - Red, have to divide
    *Canna indica - Tropical, red leaved varity. Large, medium and small rhizomes sprouting now - have lots
    *Black Currant - can take cuttings, roots easily
    *Gooseberry - can take cuttings, roots easily
    *Asparagus - 2 year old crowns
    *Tanacetum vulgare 'Crispum' (Fernleaf Tansy) - have to divide, have lots
    *Chives - 6" pot
    *Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia Creeper) - can take cuttings, roots easily
    *Zamioculcas zamiifolia (ZZ plant) - tropical houseplant, rooted leaf(cutting) that has started forming a bulb). 1 leaf in a 2" pot
    *Jasmine sambac 'Maid of Orleans' - rooted cuttings. Small, only one leaf node, but they're fast growers). 1 cutting in a 3" pot
    *"Sweet 100" tomatoes - bought a 12 pack and I don't want them all

----------------

The only things I am specifically looking for are heirloom tomatoes (my tomato seedlings have done very poorly because I wasn't able to pay as much attention to them as I should have), and climbing rose cuttings (prefer Explorers)

Otherwise, I'm open to trading for pretty well anything I don't have. I might have a few other plants that will be divisable by the time the date rolls around, so this list isn't necesarily all I have available.

BP

• malevolent_triffid
    16 years ago

BP - no problem as far a lift goes ! (Email me me through the member page and I'll give you a phone #. - if you don't get an answer within 24 hrs, let me know here and we'll work something out).

And I promise : no triffids - I'll leave the goutweed home ;-).

I'd better start inventorying plants...

Sarah

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sarah - I've just sent you an email. I'm not the fastest responder these days, but I'm here and reading everything!

Even goutweed has those redeeming flowers :-). (But didn't triffids have nice flowers too...) I'm not as phobic of invasive plants as most people are because I garden in containers. Thug plants are easy to control and keep to the size I want that way.

I forgot that I also had some Asclepias currasavica seedlings available.

So guys - post your plant list if you can come!!!

BP

• welham
    16 years ago

My list is not as impressive as Bonnie's:

Hosta (green and white with mauve flowers) in 3" pot, 6" tall - 2 or more eyes (3)

Dahlia - 4"-6" tall from cuttings- Pink decorative (Sakura Fubuki), White decorative (Myama Fubuki) and Cafe au Lait dinner plate. Grow 36"-40" tall (8)

Ostrich ferns - have lots of different sizes so if anyone wants them, I can dig them out.

Mint (Spearmint) in a 2 1/4" peat pot (8)

Naturalizing Day Lily - Orange (invasive) - will dig out if anyone wants (lots)

Lily of the Valley (invasive) - will dig out if anyone wants(lots)

Variegated reed grass - small clump which will fit in 3" pot (lots). Grows 2'-3' tall.

Malva - pink perfection - 2 1/4" pots with 2 or 3 4" tall seedlings (4)

Shasta Daisy - 5"-6" tall seedlings in 2 1/4" pots (lots - should flower this year).

Basil (Genovese) - seedlings is 3 1/4" pot. size will depend on when we do the swap; they are still babies right now.

I have a bunch of vegetable seeds that I would be willing to trade as well (2xcarrots, leeks, red onions, bunching onions, Iceberg lettuce, Tom Thumb (Baby Romaine), Florence Fennel, Kohlrabi, baby corn, etc).

BP - I have a med-light pink climbing rose but I do not know the name. Do you need the cutting to be rooted?

I'm looking for any flowering perennials but especially Pink Bleeding Heart and any climbing Clematis. I'm also interested in herbs, vegetables and berries (basically anything edible!).

Hope we can make this happen! June 9th works for me though I'm not sure about the 10th.

Lakshmi

• malevolent_triffid
    16 years ago

BP -

No email received ; very probably not your fault, I believe Gdnweb messaging is sporadic at best, but may be due to *my* recent email problems : I know I'm having reception problems ATM.

I'm sending you one in couple of minutes or three, and then off to see what I can scrap up to swap.

(Anyone wants goutweed, they can have it, but will have to sign a disclaimer that they will only *ever* grow it in a pot:-)).

I know I have :

Creeping phlox (low growing ground cover)
    Forget-me-nots
    Monarda - Bee balm (division)
    Ditch lilies (the orange ones)
    Thyme
    Chives (!)
    Whitecurrant (cuttings and rooted divisions) - this has never produced fruit for me, although it's supposed to be a fruit bearing plant ; it makes a very pretty low growing hedge, however.
    Sugar maple seedings

Sarah

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Let's settle on the 9th then. If the weather looks like rain, maybe we can arrange to meet somewhere with some shelter. If we can't get a bigger swap off the ground, maybe we can have a mini-swap :-)

Lakshmi - if you can take a couple of rose cuttings, I'd love to have them. They can take a long time to root, so I wouldn't expect them to be rooted by the 9th. If you could take the cuttings and pot them up now though, they'd have a nice start. Did you sell all your tomatoes at your plant sale (how did that go btw)? If not, I'd love to trade for some of them! I can take cuttings from my blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes if you're interested in them, and I have several flowering perennials. I may have a small Dicentra formosa (Western Bleeding Heart) piece - I'll check weather or not it has roots tomorrow.

BP

• welham
    16 years ago

BP - I'll take the cuttings today. Someone put a small article in the Gazette about my tomato sale and all my tomato plants were gone within 2 hours! I don't have any left to trade (I even lost a few of mine). How well do your blackberry and gooseberry produce and how long does it take before they start fruiting? I've never had them before (the plants, that is).

I also have:
    - Oriental Hybrid Lily - Pink (Expression) and White (Bahia Blanca) - 1 bulb in each 6" pot - though I'm not sure which one is pink and which one is white (2)
    - Sprekelia (Formosissima/ Aztec Lily) 1 bulb in 6" pot - just sprouted (1)
    - Tigridia (Pavonia) 8-10 bulbs in 6" pot - half sprouted so far (1)
    - Strawberry Plants (2)
    - I also have one Peonia Sarah Bernhardt in a 8" pot that I'm _only_ willing to trade for something really good (since I bought the roots).

BTW, has anyone seen Jersey Knight Asparagus crowns available anywhere in Montreal?

Have a nice weekend!
    Lakshmi

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sarah - I got your email and I have just responded. Hopefully that one will go through :-)

I'd be interested in some of your Creeping Phlox and Forget-Me-Nots. Let me know if I have anything you're interested in.

---

Lakshmi - Glad your plant sale went well!

My gooseberry has yet to produce any flowers, but they're slower growing then blackcurrants. I'm expecting to see something next year(I've had the plant for two and a half years). My blackcurrant produced tons of flowers this year and only a few last year (it was too young last year), but I really don't know how well they produce normally. All the fruit that set last year was taken by the squirrels when it was still very small, and I expect the same thing to happen this year too (grrr....). I can see that there is some fruit setting on it right now, but... I mostly grow it for the leaves anyway - I have a pickle recipe that uses the leaves. I can start some gooseberry and blackcurrant cuttings today for you'd like.

If your Variegated reed grass is not ribbon grass, I'd like to have some of that. And thanks for the rose cuttings! If I have enough things you'd like I'd also be interested in your Hosta and Dahlias. I do have some asparagus crowns, but I don't know what variety they are - I started them from seed I got in a trade three years ago. What kinds of things are you looking for in exchange for your Peony? I have a black Colocasia that I might be able to separate a bit off of (I'd have to dig it up and see what the bulb looks like before I could say for sure).

----

Other plants of interest I have:

*Sauromatum venosum bulbs (babies I just separated off the mother) that haven't sprouted yet.
    *Dwarf Pomegranate cuttings

BP

• anna_lisa
    16 years ago

Hi Everybody I have lots to trade or sale frist i need to know where it is and at what time because i don't drive i have to depend on hubby. I will be tradeing tomatoes pants right now they are about 4 inches. The calla lily I would like to sale them I will bring only about 5 they are not in flower yet they are only about 2 inches high. Also I will bring 2 angle wing begonia.I will have to walk around and see what else I have please let me know when and where Lorna

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Lorna,

We haven't set a specific time and place yet, but we are leaning towards the park on the mountain, as it's easy to find and it's central. I plan to go up there early this coming week and check it out and then we will decide weather to use that place or find another location.

As to time, I may as well ask everyone that is planning on attending, what is the best time for you? Morning, noon or afternoon?

Also, the plan is for exchange only. If you want to sell your plants, that's fine, it's up to you and anyone that might wish to buy them, but you'll have to make arrangements privately (by email). The rules for this forum on GW prohibit selling, and attempting to sell here means the thread runs the risk of being deleted and the poster runs the risk of being banned from GW.

BP

• brendall
    16 years ago

Bonnie , If you would like container pots all sizes I have a bunch for you. Contact me
    swing2jazz at hotmail dot com and I will meet you somewhere.
    If you dont need them I will toss them,
    bren

• ethancote
    16 years ago

Hello,

A plant exchange sounds like a great idea. I know how expensive it can get when you buy plants. The problem start when you can't stop buying =) It seems there are always more room in the garden for more plants =)

Here are my list of plants I have for trade.

These plants are from cuttings, I haven't done cutting so not sure how well they will root. I can take cuttings for those interested:

- various fuschia
    - various clematis (about 9 varieties)
    - 2 honeysuckle type (1 is orange/yellow other is red/yellow)
    - 2 rhodo type (1 is red and other is lavender)
    - 2 hydrangea (one is blue and other is pink)

These are plants with roots and are in pots:
    - have several of bouquet of roses (very invasive)
    - have several of lilies of the valley
    - have several of chocolate mint
    - have 2 rose of sharon (pink color)
    - have several purple iris
    - have several elephant ears

Happy trading.

Cheers,

Chi.

• peatpod
    16 years ago

Bonnie .. you wouldnt believe what I caught Taz and Archie doing!!! They were on Mapquest checking out how to get to Mount Royal!!!!! :o) They told me they thought we should all have a little visit and plant swap at the park .. it would be fun to catch the bugs ya know. They wanted to surprise you at the swap .. it broke my heart to tell them that mommy couldnt surprise you .. we have too many foster kids that weekend to make a 6 1/2 hour drive. But I told them if you plan another swap .. maybe .. just maybe we might be able to meet Auntie Bonnie sometime soon :o)
    I am going to start collecting some climbing rose cuttings for you .. I know a few people who have them and I live down the road from Hortico :o) I will make sure I keep track of what "clippings" I nip :o)
    Hope you have fun guys!!!

Laura

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Chi - Good to see you here! I would love to have a Honeysuckle cutting (whichever sort is more fragrant (I know some are not))! And some Clematis cuttings would be nice too!

Laura - Those boys are going to get you in trouble! It's a good thing Taz didn't get his driver's license when he turned 16 :-)

I was going to go up to the car park on the mountain and check it out. But the weather decided to change from sunny to rainy overnight. Tomorrow is supposed to be better so I'll check it out then.

BP

• welham
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, I was on a deadline and didn't have a chance to look up this thread for a while. Bonnie - thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to save the sunny spot near the fence for asparagus. I would be intersted in your daylily 'Pink Damask',Stella D'Oro and Yellow Flag Iris though. If we end up doing a lot of trading I'd also be interested in your white Asiatic Lily, Calla Flame and Canna. I'm not sure if my variegated reed grass is ribbon grass...I think it is 'Overdam' but I could be wrong. It does not seem particularly invasive to me. Sarah- I'd be interested in your creeping Phlox - what color is it? I'm also interested in Monarda and Chives from anyone I end up trading with. Chi - in addition to what I wrote in my e-mail, I'd also be interested in some Fuschia if you manage to get it rooted.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Lakshmi

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Unfortunately Sarah has had to drop out due to some unavoidable problems - she really wanted to come but it just isn't likely to be able to happen :-(

I can still get to the mountain by taking the bus up, but I can't take as much up with me that way.

Here's a thought if it's going to be just the three of us (Lakshmi, Chi and myself) - I could host a short little tea/lunch/snack thing and we could meet at my place (and my embarrassingly small garden!). I know Chi knows how to find me, and I assume it's as easy for him to get to my place as to the mountain.

Lakshmi - If you only have time to zip in and out, it might still be easier for you to come by my place - there is a back alley with very little traffic and you can stop and load up on Chi's/my plants and drop off yours. That way you can have some of everything of mine that you want - I won't be limited by what I can carry (I even have some Monarda I can divide for you and I have some extra chives).

So if this is good with you, I'll send you my address and directions on how to get here. If it isn't good, we'll go back to Plan A (the mountain).

Those rose cuttings would be great and if 'Overdam' is your grass name, then it's not what I have and I'd like to try it. Your Shasta Daisies and Dahlias are interesting too. And if you're still offering that peony, I'll go out tomorrow and see what I have that's interesting and run it by you to see if you want it and think it's worth it.

Chi - everything you wanted you can have - the Clematis, Belamcanda, and Iris pseudacorus. Was there anything else? I would like some of your Honeysuckle and Clematis cuttings.

BP

• welham
    16 years ago

BP - I'm not sure if the grass I have is 'Overdam'. That is a name I saw at Home Depot and it looked similar to what I have. I can dig some up and you can decide if you want it once you see it. Since I'm coming by car I'll just load up a bunch of stuff and bring pictures of the Dahlia's. Meeting at your place is fine by me...I'd prefer to do it anytime after 1 PM if possible.

If anyone wants something that needs to be dug up/divided please let me know so that I can be sure to bring it.

Lakshmi

• ethancote
    16 years ago

Hi Gang,

Bonnie place is quite nice for a small space. She has tons of neat plants. I was at awe when I first step in it =)

To make things easier on Bonnie I am kewl with meeting up at her place.

So lets finalize this for location, date and time. =)

I look forward to the plant swap. It should be fun.

Cheerio,

Chi.

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lakshmi and Chi - I have just sent you guys some email.

BP

• oink
    16 years ago

May be a bit late for the swap. But I am at the East end of town, near the Olympic stadium.... erh... Botanical Garden. I wold like help with exotic herbs and spices, as much as I can get my hands on. Ony have the usual Vesseys variety of vegetable to swap however.

Thanks
    Kim

• ada_pun
    12 years ago

I am interested to meet with gardeners in Montreal once per year to trade seeds and plants. If you are interested, we can set up a mailing list to see if it is possible to organize a meeting in 2012.

I posted this message with another post before. If you already read this, please forgive the repetition.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions