Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
didzgarden

WANTED: Springbank Plant Exchange iii

didzgarden
12 years ago

Wow! Third page! Getting excited! *Beams*

Daldak: Awesome! That sounds great! My lupines are either purple or pink. They are babies of the plants already there, and they all seem to spring up these two colours.

Comments (150)

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

sorry for the delay in getting this posted, Bev. I haven't had the time to do much in the garden the last couple of days, so not sure what is going on out there as far as adding to the list. It is rather meager right now but have a look and let me know if anything interests you. :)

chives
    garlic chives--one small pot
    clustered bellflower--dark purple
    brugmansia cuttings--some named-some NOID

tomato-thin skinned heirloom cherry
    hosta--'gold drop'
    lady's mantle--very small seedling in pot
    heuchera--'tiny' piece of velvet night
    lupine--WS seedlings-NOID-grabbed the seeds from(shorter) plants that had finished flowering. two seedlings in pot approx 2" tall right now.
    foxglove--white-WS two pots of hunks of seedlings
    creeping phlox�white
    creeping phlox�mauve
    daylily--strawberry candy--small div.
    oregano--small pot
    --HOS of WS verbascum 'milkshake' (from traded seed)
    --yellow loosestrife
    --maple trees about three or four feet tall. Some have the larger less toothed leaves.
    --small Manitoba maple seedlings
    --tall phlox--pinky-mauve
    --geranium sanguineum
    --sedum-'dragon's blood'�
    --purple perilla seedlings--tiny but they grow like crazy
    honeysuckle� vine (yellow and white flowers) or shrub(pink flowers)
    clematis PTJ�rooting
    Small (maybe 8-10" tall) evergreen seedling�right near dwarf Alberta spruce)

• daldak
    12 years ago

Sorry, I wan't aware you were directing the question to myself. I love columbines, so sure.

• barb_from_london
    12 years ago

Signet, I'm guessing you meant Bev not Barb on the messages about the Mahonia and the Centranthus.

About the Kolkwitzia, if I can actually get it out of the ground you can have a lot more than a cutting! I will try to get at it this weekend. I will probably have to cut it back drastically and also trim the roots, and also cut the root ball up into small pieces, but that still should result in a bigger plant faster than a cutting. I'll try to bring something in, if I can't get it out this weekend I'll post here and let you know.

New to offer:

Variegated Symphiocarpos - it's a small shrub, about three feet, very fine, white edged leaves, arching habit - never blooms or bears fruit like other Symphiocarpos. I have some rooted cuttings of these.

If anyone needs a cast-iron native groundcover for shade, I've got Anenome canandensis to offer. Just don't plant it anywhere near the main garden or it will take over. I've got it between the garage and the fence and it's great there, that's the sort of situation that it shines at.

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Ha Ha , Oh boy , yes I did mean Bev .....DUH.

Anyway BARB , (hope I am writing to the right person this time LOL ! I'm blaming it on getting older and getting older sucks sometimes ) I would love the Kolkwitzia or cuttings or whichever you can manage , I would also be interested in some of your Variegated Symphiocarpos and anenome canandensis pleae. What would you like in trade ?

Let me know please

Signet

• bev_w
    12 years ago

Jeff/Nyssaman e-mailed me yesterday and asked me to post this for him

Jeff's List

Cup Plant 4
    Raspberry Small 3
    Orchid Cactus 4
    Red Texas Sage 4
    Lambs Ear 4
    Voodoo Lily (Tropical) 4
    Scarlet BeeBalm 4
    Peppermint (Herb) 4
    Spearamint (Herb) 4
    Poke Weed Phytolacca americana 1
    African Forest Lily 1
    Chives 2 clumps
    Tall Soft Pink Columbine 3
    Yvonnes Salvia 4
    Tropical Milkweed 4
    Maltese Cross 2
    Nicotiana Baby Bella 2 so far will have more
    Another plant which looks like a variegated Snap Dragon about a foot high yellow flower 8

Lots more on the way very soon just waiting for germination

Interested In:

Barb From London:
    Echinacea Purperia
    Gaillardia
    Sinningia rivalis

Signet:
    Trillium
    Solomons Seal
    Camomile
    Double Orange Brugs
    Globe Thistle
    Strawberry?
    Jack in the Pulpit
    tropical ginger

GreyLady
    Blue Lobelia Siphilitica
    Ratibida pinnata
    Nicotiana Crimson King
    Nicotiana alata
    Bayberry
    Brugs

Ross:
    Hibiscus
    Pink Delphinium - seedlings in 4" pots
    Purple Calla Lillies- 3 month seedlings individually potted in 4" pots
    Red Oleander(tropical)-seedling very small
    Canna-bronzed leaf (tubers)
    Ostrich Fern-division- gallon pot
    If you have an oleander I lost mine Ross.I should have more tropical plants also

Daldak
    Calla lilies
    May apple

Blue Iris:
    Penstemon Digitalis
    Gateway Joe Pye weed
    New York Ironweed
    Asiatic lily bulbs:
    Solomon's Seal

• barb_from_london
    12 years ago

Hi Jeff,

How about an orchid cactus, an Yvonne's Salvia and Nicotiana Baby Bella for the Gaillardia, Echinacea and Sinningia nivalis?

Barb

• barb_from_london
    12 years ago

Hi Signet,

No problem, I'm getting old too!

Re trades: got any monkshood left?

Barb

• blueiris3
    12 years ago

Hi Jeff,

How about 3 Yvonne's Salvia, a Nicotiana Baby Bella and 4 Texas red sages for my Penstemon digitalis, Gateway Joe Pye weed, Solomon's seal and 5 asiatic lilies? I'll double check but I'm not sure if I have enough NY Ironweed for another trade, it has been slow to multiply. Thanks for the trades! I want to make sure my lady hummingbird has lots to drink all season!

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Jeff, I wish I did have the things that you are requesting from me as I would love to have something that you would take for your African forest lily.
    It is not on my list but I do have some WS nicotiana alata that are HOS in a pot. still very tiny.
    I also do have some brugs...some white some named and some just not sure (label malfunctions! :))
    If you are interested in the brugs or the WS seedlings then let me know.

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

I can give you a ginger , a jack , a globe thistle , a double orange brug , a solomon's seal .

The strawberry is not an edible strawberry . It is an ornamental . Is that what you are looking for ? It has a yellow bloom. I will have to check the trilliums...they may already be all claimed ( I cant remember how many pots I made up.

I am looking for elderberry seeds or plants , japanese maple seeds or interesting tree seeds, iris or lilies .

Signet

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

Jeff: I should be able to help you with a couple of things. I can supply a White Hardy Hibiscus seedling (very small as of this moment) the Pink Delphinium, 2- Purple Callas, A few Bronze Leaf Canna Tubers, and an Ostrich fern.
    ' In trade I would like from your list if still available, Pink Columbine, Chives, Yvonnes Salvia, and the variegated Snap Dragon look-a-like.Thanks. Ross.

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

I will pot up some Monkshood for you . Thanks for the trade

Signet

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

Jeff: Forgot to mention that I will attempt to root an Oleander cutting for you...wish me success.

• blueiris3
    12 years ago

Hi Greylady, I owe you 2~ 3 trades - please pick some things from my list! So far you haven't chosen anything for Prairie Travellers Joy clematis (understand it may still be rooting), pinky-mauve phlox, and dragon's blood sedum.

Hi Bev, How about your salvia lyrata, eupatorium coelestinum, and salvia from Caradonna, for my spreading evergreen, and Panache & Charleston lilies?

Hi Flowergirl, Do you have any daylily Chill Out left? I'd like some if you do, and some Catherine Woodbury, or some NoID like Daring Deception, for my Ladies Choice, Panache, and Charleston liliums. Thanks for the trades!

Off to make labels for my trade pots, too hot to do much outside now, but got lots of weeding done this am.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Heather, I did post above (last Thursday)(but it IS getting kind of mind boggling to keep up with all the posts! :))that I would love to swap the sedum dragon's blood and the tall pinky mauve phlox for your pulmonaria David Ward. If that is not okay then let me know and I will look again at your list :) I am also potting up some perilla seedlings for you unless you are looking for the 'frilly' kind (I posted a link above, that shows a pic of the kind I have)
    let me know what you think :)

oops! and the PTJ is looking good so I will take another look at your list for that. (I had just wanted to wait to see how it was going with them)

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

would you have a small piece of the 'gateway' joe pyeweed left? If so then I would love to trade the PTJ for it.

• gardeng8
    12 years ago

Bev: I have managed to get a rooted cutting of oregon grape holly if you are still looking.

Also, to add to my list: Nigella (love in a mist)-3
    White monkshood -1
    purple smokebush -2 small
    crab apple (pink flower) -1 (3')
    hyacinth bean vine -3 seedlings
    Sky Sentry holly -1 (4" tall)

Does anyone have any pink lily of the valley??? I think I got some from someone here last year?

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

I can dig you some pink lily of the valley. :)

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Hi Gardeng8 , I would be interested in your white Monkshood and a hiacynth bean if possible please. Not sure what you might like in trade . Let me know please and thanks

Signet

• blueiris3
    12 years ago

Hi Greylady, Sorry, I see your post now, I just wanted to make sure you got enough plants from me, you are only listing one plant for both your sedum dragon's blood and the tall pinky mauve phlox. My pulmonaria David Ward is set aside for you, but that leaves the phlox and the perilla with no swap plants yet... I have set aside a hunk of the 'gateway' joe pyeweed for you in trade for the PTJ. He's been really well behaved for 6~7 years, then this year he's doubled in size!? By the way what colour is PTJ? It's going between a gravel driveway and a brick wall which should contain it's exuberance!

• gardeng8
    12 years ago

Thanks greylady for the offer of pink lily of the valley...what can I dig up for you?

SIGNET: I'll put a hyacinth bean vine and the white monkshood aside for you. Do you still have any of the poet's narcissus left? If not, perhaps the cherry lungwort?

JEFF: I would be interested in your tropical milkweed and your v. snapdragon look alike...Is there anything on my list that might interest you?

LILAC: Is your cathedral bells still available? If so, is there anything on my list that you might like to trade?

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Putting aside Poet's narcissus for white monkshood , another cherry lungwort for the hyacinth bean vine . Thanks so much for the trade !!!!!!

Signet

• gardeng8
    12 years ago

PLANTS AVAILABLE: Update:
    Blue Azure allium ........................Daldak,Bl Iris(3)
    Lady's Mantle
    Purple monkshood (fall blooming).....................Barb
    Sammy Russell Daylily
    Wood's Pink aster....................................Lilac
    various hostas
    Karl Forester grass.................................GLG
    Ice Dance sedge (variegated)........................Bev
    white anemone (spring flowering) .......Signet,Blue Iris(3)
    pink anemone (fall flowering) .........Signet,Blue Iris(3)
    King Edward yarrow (dwarf) -yellow)
    Blue-eyed grass (dwarf relative of the iris)
    Lime Rickey heuchera................................Daldak
    Obsidian heuchera
    Pewter Veil? heuchera..............................Ross
    sanguisorba (Burnet)- pink bottlebrush flowers
    blue flax (linum)
    kalimeris incisa (small variegated)
    Brunette clematis koreana (division)..............Signet
    Variegated Soloman's Seal.........................GLG
    Barberry (2 very small baby voluteers)
    Korean Lilac (1 very small baby volunteer)
    Red Twig Dogwood (2-3 small volunteers)
    Lilac (either purple or white...) - small(ish)
    Honeysuckle (pink flowers with white berries) - volunteers
    Batisia/Blue False Indigo(2 small) ...............Blue Iris
    Cotoneaster (2 cuttings-small)
    Flowering Almond-(Cutting)............................Lilac
    pulmonaria/lungwort (2 babies)
    lavender (2 babies)
    blue pincushion flower ("Perfecta")
    lysmachia "Firecracker"
    Iron Cross Oxalis -bulbs................GLG, Daldak,FlGirl
    veronica "Twilight"
    siberian iris -white...........................Signet(gone)
    Carex- "The Beatles" (3)................................GLG
    Black Flowered Sedge (1 only)
    Daylily: Jan's Twister (1 fan)
    Malyasian Monarch (1 fan)................Flower Girl (gone)
    Crintonic Shadowlands (1 fan)
    Promises Promises
    Pirates Promise (1 fan)........................Signet(gone)
    Street Urchin (1 fan).........................Signet(gone)
    red / green castor beans............................Daldak
    Penstemen 'Pygmaes' (1)........................Signet(gone)
    Blood Root (1)...................................GLG(gone)
    Dwarf Bleeding Heart (fernleaf) (1).......... Bev W (gone)
    Variegated Phlox (1)..........................Signet (gone)
    Monkshood (early WHITE) (1).....................Ross (gone)
    Poor Man's orchid(impatien balfouri)- 2 seedlings......Didz
    Golden Tiara hosta (1 small)
    astilbe (1 small)..............................Daldak(gone)
    Bridal Wreath (1 small)..............................Lilac
    Nigella (love in a mist)-3
    White monkshood -1............................(Signet)-gone
    purple smokebush -2 small
    crab apple (pink flower) -1 (3')
    hyacinth bean vine -3 seedlings.....................Signet
    Sky Sentry holly -1 (4" tall)

Thanks everyone for all the great trades so far...

• LilacIsLove
    12 years ago

GardenG8, Yep, Turns out I have one more Cathedral bell left! How about for your lungwort?
    BlueIris, another chocolate vine poked it's head up above the soil last night! I guess crossing your fingers really does work! ;)
    Also, I've taken a cutting of my dwarf cherry tree, Var. Stella if anyone wants to try their luck with it.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

I will pot up the pink lily of the valley for you. :) Would you be okay with the veronica 'twilight' as a trade?

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Hi Lilac ...I am not a nurseryman or anything but I think almost all fruit trees are grafted which means that they take a cutting and graft it onto another plants root stalk as they may or may not have hardy root stalks of their own ......sooooo not sure that the dwarf cherry tree would grow true to form so to speak . Have you plunked it in hormone and potted it up ? If it roots , it cant hurt to try it but I just thought I would mention that . My grandfather used to do a lot of grafting of fruit trees which is the only reason I know anything (read not much ) about it .

Gardeng8 I would love to try your flowering crab please. Can I come up with anything that might interest you in trade? Let me know please.

Thanks
    Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Gardeng8, I just looked up your Sky Sentry Holly . Do the leaves look like holly ? and the berries ? I have not heard of this one before but it looks interesting . What might you take in trade for it ?
    Thanks

Signet

• flowergirl_on
    12 years ago

BLUEIRIS: Confirming trade of three daylilies 'Cool It' [not Chill Out :)], 'Catherine Woodbury' and NOID Daring Deception lookalike for lilies 'Ladies Choice', Panache' and 'Charleston'. Thank you for the trade.

I'm out of daylily 'Cool It'!!

GREYLADY-GARDENER: I noticed that it was you who asked me if I thought the white clematis was PTJ. I answered to Signet by mistake. I don't know if it is...leaves look different in pics but who knows. It flowers in the summer and made a new plant by vine touching the ground. Does that sound like your PTJ?

Merja

• LilacIsLove
    12 years ago

Signet, don't worry, I've done my homework and it's entirely possible to propagate trees from cuttings. Grafting is usually to grow more than one type of fruit on the same tree. It's also used to 'dwarf' regular sized trees. For example, grafting a limb from a regular sized cherry tree on to a dwarf root stock.
    That's how I understand it anyways ;) It is a bit of an experiment though, hoping to save me another $40!

• gardeng8
    12 years ago

CONFIRMIRMING:

GLG: I've put your name on a 'Twilight' veronica. Thanks for the pink lily of the valley.

Lilac: Thanks for the cathedral bells...I've set aside the lungwort for you.

Signet: I'll put your name on the crabapple tree (approx. 3 feet tall) and the sky sentry holly (approx 4 inches tall so far). I had two of the hollies but one died and the other one just isn't thriving..I can't bear to see it suffer anymore. So I am hoping it will enjoy your garden and live a nice long life. Try this website to check out what it should do: http://www.qscaping.com/NetPS-Engine.asp?CCID=20000011&page=pdp&PID=9362

You can surprise me with something to trade if you still want it!

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Hi all, I have a few more items to offer .

I have poking their heads up so far

5 Heavenly Blue Morning glory
    There will be 24 more in a day or so .

I will (in a day or two ) also have:

5 chocolate morning glory .

3 pots with Somniferum Pink Poppy

2 pots of Ruta graveolens aka common rue Pretty tiny yellow flower.

2 pots Iris - yellow standards with rusty red falls Intermediate bearded iris

That's it for now

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Hi Lilac, Yes I know it is possible but often the trees dont do well on their own rootstock ( I have no idea why . you would think mother nature knows better than we do) but maybe it has to do with trying to grow things that arent suited to certain zones and so they graft onto hardier root stock ) I meant no offense

Signet

• LilacIsLove
    12 years ago

Signet, I took no offense! I could be way off track, but I figure it's worth a shot :P

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

SIGNET: I see you are offering "Heavenly Blue Morning Glories"...I had those on my first wish list this season. What do I have on my list that you would exchange for the 5 seedlings that you presently have?? Ross.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

gardeng8-thanks for the confirmation of your veronica 'twilight' for my pink lily of the valley :)

blueiris-if you still have some catmint 'walker's low', then I would like to trade the pinky/mauve tall phlox for it. thanks

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Roscop..the 5 already hatched Heavenly Blue M.G's . are yours . A gift ! Enjoy them !

I think I have pretty much reached my limit on swapping unless a really good cant possibly walk away from it swap comes up between now and the day . I have to be able to have room to plant what I have swapped for up till now LOL ! And really if you were to see my gardens, you cant tell I took anything out .....

Signet

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

oops! sorry I missed it--thank you for confirming the gateway joe pyeweed for the clematis PTJ (which is a small white flower) :)

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

SIGNET: Thanks for the gift of the Heavenly Blue.I have been looking for them from the start of swapping. I will plant them along with the pink that I have already sown and I should end up with quite a show!!I know what you mean about the gardens looking full! I have the same problem...but it's a good problem.See you soon. Ross.

• bev_w
    12 years ago

Wow, I've been off-board for two days and I'm already soooo behind. Hope I don't miss anything. Here goes:

Heather/BlueIris: sounds good. Salvia lyrata, eupatorium coelestinum, and salvia from Caradonna, for your spreading evergreen, and Panache & Charleston lilies.

GardenG8: I met a local gardener at choir last week and he has potted up a Mahonia for me. Thanks anyways.

Signet: I have a "regular" elderberry that is putting out suckers. Would you like me to chop one out for you? This is a shrub I use for the berries to eat-- not an ornamental.

Would anyone like to take a big chance on a cinnamon vine (Dioscorea batatas)? Warning: it is seriously invasive and you MUST contain it in a heavy ceramic pot. Edible tubers, lovely scented flowers. Before I learned how invasive it is, I had some planted out in the front forty. Noticed today that, for the second time, I did not completely remove the root.

- Bev

• bev_w
    12 years ago

Jeff sent me an email and asked me to post the following:

"I can trade what was requested....If you could let Garden 8 know I'm interested in her blue flax..Germination is picking up now with the heat so I will have much more really soon... Oh and yes to Rosco on the oleander and Everything Greylady gardener has Brug wise I'm interested in (ID or NOID)and her other things..."

- Bev

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Glad I could help out . These were some that were in my seed stash for quite awhile . I am also planting some lime 4'0clocks and some broken colored ones that I found in amongst my seeds ( hadnt looked in a while )

Signet

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

I think the clematis you have very well could be the PTJ. I owuld know better when I see the leaf. :) It does root when it touches the ground

• blueiris3
    12 years ago

Hello!

Greylady-gardener - The Walker's low is potted up for you - boy is it ever fragrant! Thanks for the trade - phlox puts on quite a show in my garden so I'm trying to get lots of different colours of it.

Gardeng8 - I tried to dig up a chunk of the NY Ironweed tonight with no luck, it appears to have a taproot. I've potted up the stems that got hacked off in the process on the off chance that they'll root. Please choose something else from my list or keep one of the pink anemones for someone else. Sorry about this - it looked so lush and full that I figured it would split easily.

Nyssaman - No luck with the NY Ironweed, per above. I'll keep my eyes peeled in hopes of finding some volunteers, but that end of the yard is mulched with bark chips so not many volunteers of any kind.

What a glorious day weather wise! I got my east flowerbed raised up, and potted up the rest of my swap plants. Now I just need a few more days like this...

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Bev, just wanted to let Jeff know that I think he mixed up my list with someone else's. I do have brugs and some nicotiana alata-very small WS seedlings, but the other things that he asked for are not from my list.
    I will bring him some brugs and the nicotiana alata though. :)

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

thanks so much Heather! :)
    I love when the phlox is in bloom. the whole yard smells wonderful! :)

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

I would love it if you would "chop" out a sucker or if possilbe 2 . I am looking for the eating kind not the ornamental kind. Thanks so much

I am interested in the cinnamon vine ....is yours male or female? (just read up on it and it seems you need both to get seeds. Will it produce the tubers even if it cant produce seeds? Thought I was done trading ...ha ha too many interesting things offered.

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Is there anyone in the swap interested in Clay pots ? I was given some and I dont like clay pots ...various sizes ...free to a good home .

Bev , I have some small pots ( about the size of individual yogurt containers .....they are too small for me.... are you interested in them . Again free to a good home

Signet

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

do you still have the bright pink primrose(primula?)
    is there anything that you would take for it? I know you are done trading ......but..;)

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

about a week ago signet asked if we could get this sorted out, and I meant to jump in, but got sidetracked.
    should we post what we are bringing? We usually do but we could also make it a true potluck. Any thoughts? :)

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Greylady , Ha ha .....plants as you can tell are my weak point. I guess everyone is allowed one addiction and mine is plants.

How about that pink primrose for one of your trees we talked about earlier...I still need to know what else you might like for a second one.

Lilac, looking thru the posts I realized I hadnt confirmed the raspberry plants you wanted. Will pot them up tomorrow.

Signet

Sponsored
More Discussions