Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieter_k

WANTED: Wanted: Who's game for a Hosta Secret Swap?

I participated in one last year through GardenWeb and am participating in one through Hallson's this year. I'm happy to organize it and will post the rules and time frame if there are more than 5 people who indicate an interest.

Pieter

Comments (13)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    13 years ago

I would like to play so count me in.

• maggiepie_gw
    13 years ago

I would like to know how the secret swap works.
    I doubt that I can participate this year as this is the first year I have started collecting but there's always next year or the year after.

• signet_gw(6b)
    13 years ago

Count me in pietertje. I didnt participate last year but I did the year before and I was really pleased with what I got in the trade. So , yes, please count me as a participant .

Signet

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please make sure I can contact you via e-mail from your Member Page and that you have a trade list posted!

As said above, once I get to 5+ -to make it worthwhile- I will post the rules and the time frame. The way things sit right now, I'm looking to have the participants send out their trades by July 5th latest.

Pieter

• skraps
    13 years ago

I would love to do this to ..I have a few I could exchange

• anemone
    13 years ago

Hi,

I would like to participate also in your hosta exchange. Not sure though whether they can be unknowns or must be named?

Anemone

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If I count myself, we're up to 5 participants, so we'll proceed, provided EVERYONE has a WANTED list up on their Trade List, and it is best to have a list of what you already have in your garden. Each participant should send me an e-mail with their GW screen name, full name and shipping address, by Friday June 26th. Please use the e-mail link on My Page above, you have to be logged-in to be able to use it.

I will leave this invitation open for inclusion of more participants until Friday June 25th. You will be sent the name of your recipient by Sunday morning June 27th latest.

Here are the basic rules of the game:

1. While most swap rules say you should send a minimum of least one plant to your designated recipient, I believe you get as good as you give and I encourage people to send at least 3, possibly 5 or more even. It makes it more worthwhile for the shipping costs involved, particularly when shipping out of province.

2. If possible make your gift plants ones that are on the recipient's wanted list, or failing that, send them plants they do not already have - this is where it becomes important to have a list up of what you already have in the garden.

3. Make sure you know how to identify HVX and foliar nematode damage. If you do NOT know, kindly refrain from participating as you do not want to be the one who sent diseased plants to an unsuspecting recipient. It is best to send divisions from plants you've had in your yard at least 3 years or more in order to minimize the possibility of shipping plants with a dirty payload.

4. Your divisions should be at least one healthy shoot, or 'eye' if you prefer, with a good number of roots. Rinse all the soil off the roots and wrap them in soaking wet paper towels, tuck in a name tag and roll into plastic wrap and tie off with an elastic band. Take a look at this page on my website if you have never done this before. Water will leak out of this bundle and you should wrap the entire bundle of Hostas in something like a plastic bread bag before you put it into a shipping container. This to make sure the seeping water doesn't soak into the cardboard and renders the box next to useless. Try and keep the box as compact as possible since you pay not just for weight and distance but also cubic volume.

5. Shipping to be done Canada Post 3 day Xpres Post and e-mail me the confirmation number when you have sent it.

It is customary to acknowledge receipt of your gift Hostas as part of this thread.

Pieter

• imagooch zone 6b/7a Chatham ON
    13 years ago

Count me in too. I love secret swaps!!! I've recieved some nice ones
    Anne

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice to see you participate Anne!

Pieter

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have been unable to contact Paula or Anenome. If neither of you contact me through the e-mail link on MyPage by midnight Saturday, I will assume you are no longer interested.

Pieter

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ultimately only 2 people ended up being active participants, signet and skraps. Unfortunate, but that's the way it goes.

Pieter

• annvh
    13 years ago

Hi

I just signed up with gardenweb this morning.... is it too late to get in on the Hosta Swap? If it is... will there be one next year????

Thanks!

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In a posting a little higher up I said:

I will leave this invitation open for inclusion of more participants until Friday June 25th. You will be sent the name of your recipient by Sunday morning June 27th latest.

You're too late for this particular swap. Will there be one next spring? That depends on someone picking up the gauntlet to organize it.

Pieter