Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: question about lavender

Posted by knottyceltic S/W Ontario 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 20:59

I have never had lavender before but bought a cute little lavender plant grafted on a twig/stalk. I'd never seen this before and thought it would be nice to add some slight height to my little garden bed. I have it in full sun as the tag said but it seems to 'sulk' by sunset each day. Is that normal? It is only the flower head that sulks, the leaves of the plant seem fine. As I've never had lavender before I don't know if maybe it needs a slightly cooler spot or just needs to settle in and get its roots going or what. Also, is lavender an annual in our zone (5b) and will I need to collect seeds and what part of the flower do I look for the seed in. Sorry if that's a dumb question but it's such an unusual looking flower now that I've seen it close up, I'm not sure where the seed will be located when it's ready. Thanks in advance, Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: question about lavender

there are many forms of lavenders and while many are hardy, there those that aren't. And usually the grafted types or lavenders, are probably the spanish types and may not be hardy in our zone. The blooms are larger than other types of lavenders. (I'm also in Ontario). I would suggest that you research your plant on the richter herbs website. Richter Herbs is located here in Ontario and they carry a wide variety of lavenders.

Lavenders that are tall would be a French or Grosso type and these are hardy types.

If the leaves wilt- then it's suffering. If not, its doing good. Some of the larger flower varieties can 'sleep' at night. So nothing to worry about. Just don't overwater lavenders.

o
RE: wanted: question about lavender

Thank you for the tips, info and website. I think it was just transplant shock that was making the flowers nod at night. It's not really doing it any more. As for the variety I'll look at the website and see if I can id what I have. The tag was very generic stating only that it is lavender so that wasn't any help. Thanks again. Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here