Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greylady_gardener

wanted: PART 2-spring swap/barbecue/london/springbank park

greylady_gardener
15 years ago

I am starting a new page Jeff. I hope you don't mind me stepping in to do that. :)

gg

***and SIGNET*** that last post to you should be 'SENT' you an e-mail

Comments (98)

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Signet

I was unable to get in touch with my sister today so I am unsure if she is still looking for a Hosta division. I would love a cutting of your Vancouver centennial Geranium if you still have one. I was just hoping that you had a Brugmansia Snowbank and thought I would ask you had not mentioned it. I gave mine to a family member when I moved but they lost it last winter.

Mike

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Hello Merja,

I'd be interested in your Yellow historical iris and the dark pink geranium. Anything you'd like from my list?

Seems I've lost my prejudice against iris. I see them blooming now and I've decided they're nice.

Bev

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Mikedahms , I will bring a Raspberry Parfait hosta (just in case your sister is interested) . I can take a cutting from my geranium but it wont be a rooted cutting ..not enough time to root between now and swap . The other Vancouver Centennial Geranium has been swapped to Flowergirl .

Nyssaman : that sucks ! most places check the apt before you leave and you sign off on it and they sign off on it . This sounds like a scam

Signet

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

Signet: The RED DAHLIA would be great in exchange for the LEMON DAYLILLY. Thanks, Heather. See you on Saturday. Ross.

• flowergirl_on
    15 years ago

Hi Bev,

I would be interested in your Petunia, old fashioned climbing and Verbascum probably from "Banana Custard" if they are still available for yellow historic iris and hot pink hardy geranium?

Merja

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all, I am too tired to go searching so am hoping that if I ask, someone will see this and let me know. I have been out digging and planting and realized that none of my four o'clocks have come up. Didn't I see that someone had
    'limelight' for trade? If I wasn't dreaming that, then I would really appreciate having one/some. Please let me know.
    Thanks! gg

• capehlke
    15 years ago

Hi All,

Sorry I've been so out of the loop this year, I've been away in Dallas. Looks like lots of trading has happened while I was gone.

To summarize my trades and please let me know if I've got anything wrong as I had to go through a lot of messages.

Heather P.(blueiris)
    Trading:
    * burgundy/green variegated hot pink phlox
    * yellow teardrop tomato
    * 2' giant snapdragons
    * Oriental red poppy
    For
    * Japanese Iris
    * Old Fashioned Blue Iris
    * White bleeding Heart
    * dwarf purple/white iris
    * Purple Datura Seedlings

Heather (Signet)
    * Allium Purple Sensation bulbs
    *Toad Lily or Heuchera
    For:
    * Datura Seedlings
    * Pink Peony

Ross (rocso_p)
    * Japanese Painted Fern
    * Euonymous Alata (burning bush)
    for
    * Heliopsis Lorriane Sunshine
    * White Bleeding Heart Seedling

Lois (Greylady Gardner) - I can't seem to find the e-mail you sent me.

barb_from_london
    Salmon Oriental Poppy for blue Japanese Iris

NEW TRADES:
    Mike (mikedahms) I'd be interested in your Allium karataviense bulbs if you have any left.

Merja (flowergirl) I'd be interested in your White LA Hybrid Lily 'Iceberg', Black Cherry tomato and other lilies if I have anything of interest for you - give me some suggestions and I can probably split something not on my trade list too.

Bev (bev_w) I'd like some Sycamore Seedlings and can give you a Purple Liatris Division with bunch of new seedlings around it if that intersts you.

Blueiris I'd love to get some mounding artemisia 'nana' from you.

Still available for trades are:
    -Japanese Iris (blue)
    -Peony (Pink)
    -liatris seedlings(purple)
    -Heliopsis "Lorraine Sunshine" (1 more trade)
    -Raspberries (Spring & Fall cropping)
    -TINY Datura seedlings - double purple (1 trade) double yellow (1 trade)
    -Dwarf (6") early spring flowering minature iris - purple with White beard
    -Blue Perenial Salvia Nemorosa "Blue Queen"
    -Native wild ginger (Asarum canadense)
    =Dianthus 'brilliant'
    -Wisteria - blue rooted cuttings
    -yellow bearded iris intermediate
    -double orange daylilies,

Heather P & Heather B, My sister Marion is bringing you Wisteria

JEFF: Is this the location you were meaning in springbank park? Http://ca.geocities.com/capehlke@rogers.com/springbank.jpg

• nyssaman
    15 years ago

You are right on the location (I'm sure your name is Chris if I remember correctly) - It looks like it is on "Flint lane" in the park - I did not see the sign (not sure if there is one)- for everyone Flint lane is too the left and storybook lane is too the right they are the same road - you want to turn left on Flint lane.

cheers

Jeff

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Signet I was able to speak to my sister today and she will not be able to attend now so don't worry about the Hosta. I am fine with an unrooted cutting of your Geranium.

capehlke I am all out of Allium bulbs.

Mike

• flowergirl_on
    15 years ago

Hi Capehlke,

Does your Japanese iris flower for you? I tried it once and it didn't flower for me the first year and the year after that it didn't come up at all. If yours flowers for you I would be willing to try it again. I am interested in colourful big flowers and:
    - lily (any I don't have)
    - white Monk's-hood
    - most Bellflowers I don't have
    - Delphinium (I have oily blue and white)
    - Columbine, McKana Giants, Nora Barlow, showy ones...
    - Chionodoxa luciliae
    - Cosmos 'Double Click' or something different
    - spring bulbs (showy ones I don't have)
    - most digitalis I don't have (have purple and white ones)

If you have something else I might like, let me know. I could bring you LA Hybrid lily 'Iceberg', pink lilies (small) and tiger lilies (babies, only 1 leaf). I don't have 'Black Cherry' tomato, I am getting it from Signet. But I have tomatoes 'Sweet Million' and 'Round Lemon', if interested.

SIGNET/HEATHER: Do I remember you offering real Solomon's Seal once (not the false one)? If you have it available I would be willing to take it instead of geranium 'Vancouver Centennial' so you can give it to Mike.

Merja

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Merja,

I will dig a division of Solomon's seal for you but I have already taken a cutting of geranium 'Vancouver Centennial' for Mike about 2 hours ago. So I will still give him the cutting and you can keep yours. How about we trade Solomons seal for your black and white Columbine.

Capehlke:
    I have got you a small toad lily and a small Heuchera division and allium bulbs.

If you would like to trade a Black Cherry tomato for Japanese Iris or Blue perennial Salvia Nemorosa "Blue Queen" I would be interested in doing that . Are you interested ?

GreyLady: The hosta with the spoon shaped leaves is Golden Tiara

Mikedahms : if your sister is not coming , and you need a ride to transport your stuff .....I can drop my stuff off and pick you and your stuff up if you like . I will be driving my truck so lots of room to put plants.

WMC1 : is there anything I am bringing for you ?

Signet

• flowergirl_on
    15 years ago

Hi Heather,

It's a deal...Solomon's Seal for black and white Columbine.

Merja

• blueiris3
    15 years ago

Hi all,

What time does the swap start at? I'm being lazy about reading back into the archives :)

Capehlke: The mounding artemisia 'Nana' is set aside for your purple datura. Is there anything else in my list that you would take for some Blue perennial Salvia Nemorosa "Blue Queen" if you still have some left? I still have some more of the red oriental poppies if those interest you.

Thanks for the trades,
    Heather/Blueiris

• frogged
    15 years ago

Hi everyone thought I would post again before the swap.
    Fox glove foxy lady
    ribbon grass
    lamium pink
    yellow iris a couple small fans
    Also I have what looks to be some volunter tomatoes (still small yet)from last year- I had roma, italian paste, and amish paste. Which is which this year I have no idea but they are all paste if anyone is interested. Frogged

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Frogged,

I would be interested in your foxglove foxy lady please . What would you like in trade?

Ok I think I am done trading LOL !

Signet

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

FROGGED: I don't know if you had more than one offering of the FOXGLOVE FOXY lADY but if you do and are willing to trade please take a look at my list of availables and maybe we can work something out. Thanks. Ross.

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

**JEFF**-I hope that you were able to speak with a lawyer and that it has made you feel better about things.

**SIGNET**-thanks for the information about the hosta.

**CAPEHLKE**--I had e-mailed you through GW around the time that you first posted and had asked for something that I have since been able to find from two others, so am very happy about that and thank you anyway. :) BUT :) would you still have any of the 'miniature iris-purple with white beard'? If so could you please look and see if I have something that you would like in trade?

**BEV**--Is there something that I could give you for your achillea cassis (if you still have it)? Please look at my trade list and let me know. I do still have a Russian sage seedling (one stem approx 10" tall), if you are still interested.

**If anyone does have four o'clocks-'limelight', please look at my list and let me know if I have something that interests you.
    gg

• capehlke
    15 years ago

GreyLady - Sorry I don't have any more of the the minature iris-purple/white

Signet - I'm confirming the trade for the Salvia. Thanks you for the tomato

Heather P - Thank-you for the Nana. Unfortunately I think I only have the one trade of the salvia. When I dig it up for Signet, if there's any addiitonal pieces that break off I'll set them aside for you even if they're small - no trade necessary.

Merja - my japanese iris flowers profusely and also multiply quickly. I wonder if it's because it's blue and bears more resemblance to the wild variety than some of the newer fancier hybrids? I know my 'old fashioned blue' bearded iris definitely flower more than my specialty hybrids. I can bring some of the Japanese iris for you and I can also bring you some digitalis volunteer seedlings. The digitalis was pink last year so assuming they grow true to parent, you should have pink offspring. They're not big but they should grow enough this year to flower next year. Thanks for the trades.

Rosco_p ...I'm wondering if you have any of the variegated sedum left?

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Signet thanks for the offer for a ride but I live in the North end of the city now so it is most likely out of your way. I was planning on taking the bus but if you really don't mind a ride would be much appreciated. Just let me know either way.

Thanks

Mike

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Hi Lois/Greylady: Sorry-- the 4 Oclock "limelights" are gone now. And yes, I'd be happy to take your Russian Sage and give you some achillea "cassis", although the colour is more fuschia than cassis. Seed packets always promise something amazing but don't always deliver.

Capehlke: no problem for Sycamore Seedlings in return for Liatris Division and seedlings

Merja: yes to Climbing Petunia and Verbascum (probably from "Banana Custard") yellow historic iris and hot pink hardy geranium

Everyone else I think I've already confirmed...

-Bev

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

CAPEHLKE: Yes I can set aside a division of VARIEGATED SEDUM for you. Do you happen to have any BLUE SALVIA for trade??

• frogged
    15 years ago

Hello, so Signet yup I have you down for a swap already of the foxglove seedlings back on the first page sorry I didn't put that in my last post.
    I have Merja down as well for the same
    Ross I have you down for the same if you have any of the Agapanthus OR Bears breches they look very pretty on the interenet if not then the sedum or the Monkshood are great as well.
    Mike depending on where in the North end I might be able to offer you a lift. Im likely coming into town from the north west likely wonderland or Richmond. If this is near you we could arrange a pick up place and time. Let me know if you are interested Frogged(Kim)

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

FROGGED: I have either an AGAPANTHUS or a small rooted division of the BEARS BREECHES...whichever you prefer. Thanks for the trade of FOXGLOVE.Ross.

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi all,

I am getting excited about tomorrow! I dont have to host! Yay! I get to mingle LOL ! Life is good !

Mikedahms: No problem picking you up . I will go to springbank and drop off my stuff and then go get you and your stuff. I just have to head back on commissioners from springbank either up Sanitorium road and out to Oxford and I am already half way there .

I think you mentioned you were near UWO so that is not that much farther north . So you will need to email me with your address and instructions on how to get there from Oxford street. we will also need to determine a time ( and I will do my best to be there for that time ....always necessary to give me a little leeway for traffic but that should be it )

If Swap starts at 11:00 I will try to be at springbank to drop my stuff off around 10 or if it starts at 12 I will try to be there around 11 ( I'll ask Jeff to watch it since he says he will be there early Would you do that for me Jeff?) and then head off to get you . You will need to watch for an old lady in an old white Mazda truck LOL !

Jeff we really need to know the exact start time please!

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful trades! I say this now in case I forget to thank everyone in person tomorrow .

I really look forward to the swaps every spring.....and I really really appreciate Jeff taking up the organizing end of it this year .

So a HUGE BIG THANK YOU TO YOU JEFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I just needed a break from that part this year as I have so much to do here it isnt funny and it's not all done yet unfortunately .

Thanks Capehlke for the trade of Salvia for Black Cherry tomato.

Merja: I just tried digging the pink and white lily , It came upbut the bulb didnt ( I have no idea how far down that damn bulb is as I dug down a foot and a half and didnt find it ! I didnt know much about gardening when I started 10 or so years ago and I guess I planted way too deep )

The plant itsent has plenty of feeder roots and I have potted it up for you but I dont know if it will survive. So very sorry ! I have dug two different daylilies to compensate one is a mini rusty spider and the other is an unknown that I got in a trade from someone here on GW a few years ago. I am only going to see it bloom myself for the first time this year. Anyway , I will do my best to try to find you a pink and white lily this season ( there is a place down the road from me that I want to visit that may have them ). I think it is called Stargazer so I will search one out for you. I have also included some baby lily bulbs from a lily called Denia a pretty pink lily with spots ( I will bring the pics of the two sets of baby lily bulbs so you can see what they look like . Again my apologies about this !

That's all for now

Signet

• nyssaman
    15 years ago

Everyone - The time of the swap is 11AM always has been - I don't know how this time thing keeps getting screwed up - I will be there early . I will be dropping my wife at the location to secure it @ 8 AM maybe earlier - then dropping the kids of at grandmas grabbing some plants and heading back - it will be a nice day tomorrow so the park will be very busy. Signet someone will be there either my wife Colleen or myself or both.

Jeff

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

I forgot .....I have 2 inch seedlings of Yvonne's Salvia to trade . Red flower grows to 5 plus feet tall.

Signet

• nyssaman
    15 years ago

I'm interested in the salvias Signet. I also have a parrot flower for you signet( cockatoo flower) - don't know if you saw that in the previous posts or not

Jeff

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Jeff thanks for clearing up the start time . The confusion stemmed from acouple of different emails in the original page of posts .

I initially asked for an 11 oclock start so that I could ease into the day In the fourth messsage you said "Thanks Heather lets make it noon on Saturday" Then Capehlke wrote "So we're saying SATURDAY, JUNE 14TH, 11AM then?" then you wrote " The day of the Swap will be Saturday June 14th The time of the Swap will be 11AM until 3PM - 4 ish . Thus the confusion . So now we know it is a confirmed 11 a.m. start

I swear I updated my last post . Wonder where it went . Anyway last post should read that I have 2 one inch tall seedlings of Yvonne's Salvia to trade If anyone is interested.

signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Jeff , The salvias are yours . I inquired previously about your 2 Beautyberry plants and a castor bean . How about the 2 salvias for the beautyberry . What would you like for a castor bean? and what do I owe you for the cockatoo flower?

If you can't decide today , you can always bring the kids and Colleen over for a visit and pick something out then if you like .

Signet

• capehlke
    15 years ago

Rosco_p - yes the trade of the Salvia for the Sedum would be great and I have potted one up for you accordingly.

Heather - I wasn't sure if you wanted purple or yellow Datura so I included one of each for you.

In other news I've been called into work tomorrow morning. I'm going to try to swing by early. My sister is definitely stil going and will be distributing my plants to anyone that I miss and she'll also be picking up my trades (she's wonderful!). Sorry I won't be able to see you all in person this year. I've labelled everything really clearly for her so I don't think it will be a problem.

• frogged
    15 years ago

Hello Ross the agapanthus sounds great thanks so much. See everyone there !

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow, rain or shine.

May I suggest that we bring our seed stashes, too? It's not too late to start perennials... Plus, if it rains, we can swap seeds while eating lunch under the shelter...

Bev

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

_________STILL AVAILABLE_________

Purple Columbine plant
    JAPANESE KERRIA
    several growing UNKNOWN (probably pink/red) CALLA LILLIES
    1 LIGHT PURPLE LILAC division
    small BLUE CADET HOSTA DIVISIONS
    1 CAMPSIS RADICANS TRUMPET VINE
    1 SMALL POTTED PINK SHRUBROSE

2 very_SMALL BEARS BREECHES DIVISIONS

LUNARIA
    FORGET ME NOTS

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do I have anything that you would take for some calla lilies?
    My list is near the top of this page.
    thanks
    gg

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good idea about the seeds, Bev! I will pack some of mine up and bring them.
    gg

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

GREYLADY: I will bring along a couple of CALLA LILLIES for you. Do you happen to have a piece of tall WHITE PHLOX and any WALKING ONIONS left? Thanks. Ross.

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

HI Rosco_p, what would you take for the 1 SMALL POTTED PINK SHRUBROSE and a small BLUE CADET HOSTA DIVISION?

Signet

• barb_from_london
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to tell you that I'll try to get to the swap after I drop the kids off at their tennis lessons, which puts my ETA at around 11:45 - 12 noonish. Mike, I'm hoping you'll still be there at that point, as I owe you some money for the Ceropegia cuttings ordered from Paul Shirley Succulents. I probably will have to leave fairly soon as I will have to rush back to the east end to pick the kids up after lessons... So I'm not likely to be staying for lunch, sorry. To recap what I'm bringing re. trades:
    Rosco - Rodgersia seedling
    Signet - gingko sapling, phytolacca seedling, rodgersia seedling, astilboides seedling, salmon oriental poppy division
    Jeff - Astilboides tabularis
    Blueiris - fernleaf peony division
    Capelhke - Salmon oriental poppy division
    If I forgot anyone, please email a reminder!
    See you later,
    Barb

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

SIGNET:The pink shrub rose and the small "blue cadet" hosta division are yours. If you have a small piece of yellow/purple Iris I would like that...if not that is fine. Thanks. See you tomorrow. Ross.

• flowergirl_on
    15 years ago

ROSS: Would you have any 'Blue Cadet' hosta letf? If so, is their anything on my list that you would like for it?

SIGNET: Don't worry about the lilies. Absolutely not necessary to go and buy a Stargazer lily for me. I'll tell you my horror stories tomorrow concerning these plants...something to do with heat and earwigs.

EVERYONE: Is everyone bringing their own plates and forks? Or is somebody bringing them? I could bring napkins since I have 'tons' of them from Costco.

Merja

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

FLOWERGIRL: Yes I can muster up another "BLUE CADET" hosta for you. If you have a piece of either your Gloriosa Daisy or LEOPARD BANE, it would be nice. If not don"t worry you are welcome to the hosta anyway. See you tomorrow. Ross.

• nyssaman
    15 years ago

Signet - one beautyberry seedling went kaput - so I just have the one now.

Jeff

• nyssaman
    15 years ago

I am bringing 20 plates and 20 cups - If anyone can bring a roll of tickets that they have laying around for prizes - I just went out and got a bunch of stuff from dollarama and I forgot to buy tickets %^*&%*.

Jeff

P.s Does anyone have extra tickets for prizes!!!! the kind they use at Stag and Doe's.

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have sad news about the Russian sage--I waited until tonight to dig them. They were each several inches away from the mother plant so I thought that they were seedlings. When I dug them they came out and it looked like they were actually sent out from the main plant. the one really had no roots and the other one had a few hairy type roots. I potted it up and it will probably get some good roots in a few weeks, but right now it looks really sad and droopy.
    I wouldn't feel good about trading it, so Signet, your Minnie Klopping hosta and Bev, your achillea cassis will have to either stay home or you can look to see if there is anything else that you would take for them. Please let me know if you see anything.

I am sorry about this! :(
    gg

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Grey Lady , I will take the one with no roots. Put it in a glass of water overnight to stop it from dying and if possible transport it in water tomorrow . I have rooting hormone and can dip it when I get it home tomorrow and set it up to root then. Minnie is still coming to the swap for you LOL !

Signet

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Jeff, I can bring tickets. Also, I'll try to round up some labels for name tags.

Rosco, I wouldn't mind a little bit of Bears Breeches (a little bit is all you need heh heh). I'm bringing a ton of stuff and I'm sure you'll find something interesting. I'll check the board tomorrow morning if you want to name something in advance from my list...

Bev

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ross, I will bring the tall white phlox and the walking onions for a couple of your calla lilies.
    thanks! :)
    gg

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

I can bring labels for name tags if you think we need them . I have lots.

Signet

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Signet, I will do that but it may be a lost cause already. It wasn't in water for a long time as I was so disgusted with myself for ruining it, that I threw it down while I tried to get the other one potted up. It may have a slim chance though so I will bring it.
    See you tomorrow.
    gg

• nyssaman
    15 years ago

Signet: that would be great for the name tags
    Bev: that would be great for the tickets

Cheers
    everyone and see you all tomorrow

Jeff