Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Chokecherry or seeds for chokecherry

Posted by signet z6 S.W. Ont (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 23:18

Hi all I am interested in obtaining a chokecherry tree or seeds...if you should happen to have either please contact me to work a trade.

Thanks
Signet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Chokecherry or seeds for chokecherry

Hi Signet ... long time since we exchanged see hon. I've been away from GW for a few years.
The Chokecherry are just in bloom now (N.S.), but if you wait patiently, I'll get you fresh seed as soon as the trees bare fruit.
Faye
(formerly of Dartmouth, N.S.)

o

I can get you seeds to if ya like.

o

• Posted by signet z6 S.W. Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 23:33

Hi Faye ,

Long time no hear from ! Hope all is well with you . Thanks for the offer ......I dont mind waiting . What would you like in trade?

Signet

o
Mastif01

Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 23:35

I wouldnt mind getting some seeds from a couple of places ....so sure we could trade . Are you looking for anything in particular?

Let me know

Signet

o

At this time, I don't know off hand Signet...but I am sure something will tickle my fancy LOL
As soon as I see the berries form, I'll clean some seeds and get back to you.

Faye

o

Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 15:28

Actually Faye , you need to wait till the fruit ripens in order for the seed to be mature enough to sprout . So not at beginning of berries but closer to finish of berries.

Signet

o

Signet
If you are still looking for chokecherry seeds/seedlings, I can save you a few seedlings and bring them to the RBG sale next May. Do you think you will be able to make it next year for a plant swap? I have been pulling out seedlings from my garden the last couple of weeks.

o

Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 12:30

Hi Ontnative ,

Seedlings sound good to me if you have them please. Seeds would be my second choice simply because I havent been able to find any info on how to start them ( I know the shell is very hard !!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to my second RBG sale next spring and visiting with you again and trading LOL !

o

I know the seeds need cold stratification. I have some if you still need them.

o

Signet, I have a chokecherry shrub waiting for you whenever we next trade plants. Bought at the Guelph Arboretum sale for $3. It's about 18-24" high. They had some pots labelled Trillium luteum, but were too expensive, and I was suspicious they might be dead rather than just dormant. I purchased mine when they were growing in the spring, which is what I would advise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here