Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmdw_gw

WANTED: Advice re: 'aggressive sumacs'

lmdw
15 years ago

I am looking for some advice regarding "agressive sumacs". A coworker has offered me some, but mentioned that they spread fairly aggressively. I have a city lot but would like to plan two clumps along my fence for some privacy in my yard.

The big question is, has anyone successfully contained them by planting them in a plastic pot? Should I cut the bottom out entirely, partially, or leave just a little drain hole? Will the roots/suckers penentrate through and make me wish I had not planted them? Thanks in advance :)

Comments (7)

• nyssaman
    15 years ago

Sumacs are a second generation forest plant which means when a field has been left alone (no farming)Sumac along with other species will start to regenerate the field and turn it back to forest after the first generation of plants (weeds such as goldenrod) unless you have a couple of acres I would not plant them - yes you will be kicking yourself - you could try them in a five gallon pail with the bottom cut out of it - but their nature is to spread along the surface of the earth - I'm not sure how this would affect the plant by going against this nature - you still will have the seeds to contend with - wildlife do enjoy them in early spring late winter. I have seen small plants that will send a shoot up 50 feet away usually in sandy light soil.

cheers

Jeff

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Lilacs would make a better screen and be less invasive and will survive in a pot. I'm sure you can find large clumps of them to dig up long the country roads in your area..

• bittergreen
    15 years ago

I had one sumac in my small city lot (I no longer live there). I didn't find it too difficult to clip off a couple of suckers each year - it was no big deal. They were easy to spot and I didn't have to dig them up, just cut them. I loved it! I cut off some of the bottom branches so it was more like an umbrella for my porch, and it was much admired. On a big property it would easily get out of control, but on a small lot 1 or 2 of them could be gorgeous.

• dogmatique
    15 years ago

They aren't very friendly trees, especially between neighbors. My neighbor has quite a stand planted years ago along the fence line. Every year I spend a good week trimming and pruning these trees so they don't interfere with my garden. I spend time all summer long picking seedlings that are constantly sprouting from the spreading roots, and mowing them if they are in the lawn. In the fall I have to pick up the fallen fruit or I'll have my own forest the next spring. I would suggest finding something more interesting to plant, as well as something more neighborly.
    Dogmatique
    BC

• sharont
    15 years ago

On our largish country property, I consider them a nuisance shrub as they have spread into the lawn and other areas that were once pristine. Yes, they have blocked the view of the county road and traffic but they are 'popping up' now in my rose and perennial gardens. Birds are responsible for that and I'm happy the seed is a food source.
    I would not recommend you establish Sumac as a privacy shrub!
    Slim cedars are a better choice. Thuya 'Emerald' (T.O. Smaragd)

• lmdw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all of the advice - I received one from a coworker who gave it to me after I had decided not to plant it, so I planted it anways and it actually died. I don't like aggressive/invasive plants that are difficult to control so will opt not to have a sumac.

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

I actually bought two nursery staghorns to plant along a fenceline that has the misfortune/fortune of being under the dripline of a massive black walnut. Cedars die under this tree..the sumacs are barely hanging on. If they have runners and suckers I will be a happy camper.
    Sometimes you just have to deal with the neighbourhood. What is invasive in one garden may be welcomed as an interesting survivor against juglone in another.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions