Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wmc1

WANTED: Echinaceas

wmc1
10 years ago

For those friends that I gave named seedlings too at the Springbank swap meets, they did not turn out to be seedlings named on the pack I bought. Sorry, will keep trying.
Bill

Comments (2)

• rosco_p
    10 years ago

Bill; Hope things are going well for you and your family this summer. I was just looking out in the garden today and I have my first White Echinacea bloom from a seedling you provided for me at last years swap...looks nice amongst the usual purples that I have. As far as this years...well I can't even remember what colour the ones you gave to me were supposed to be. I guess it will be a surprise for late this year or next. Not to worry; it was great of you to grow these and offer them to us. Already looking forward to next year and the new additions once again. Talk with you later. Ross.

• greylady_gardener
    10 years ago

good morning Bill,
    Some of the seedlings are going to flower this year and I am waiting patiently. :-)
    One of them has already flowered (flamethrower) and it showed signs of what I thought was 'aster yellows', so as much as it pained me to do it, I yanked it and disposed of it. Now I have been reading about something called a 'mite' that could also have been the cause. I wish that I had heard of that before pulling so that I could have checked that out first.

oh well it is done and I am keeping an eye out for any signs of that happening on any of the other plants.

'sultry summer' is just unfurling so I am happy to see how it looks......even if it doesn't turn out to be what is expected, it will be welcome in the front porch garden! 'Lucky star' is still small and I hope it will flower next year. 'green envy' seems to be a favourite on the slug buffet!! At least I think that it is slugs eating it. The poor thing has never made it to more than about an inch or so before being chewed off again. I am working on saving it, but it may just be too late. :-(

One of the un-named seedlings that I got a couple of years ago from you turned out to be two different ones--pink and white--so this year after they flower (which they are right now), I am going to dig them up and separate them.

The Canterbury bells seedling that I got this year flowered a very pretty bicolour mauve and white. :-)

As far as seedlings turning out to be a surprise, I know that I have had the same thing happen. I traded what was labelled as 'fig leafed hollyhock' 'pink' last year and now that they are flowering this year, they are either a burgundy or such a pale pink that they seem to almost be white.... sorry to those that got the seedlings, but I still love them. (and so do the Japanese beetles!!!)

thank you for all the seedlings that you have given out at the swaps!! They are very welcome in my garden.

Hope all is well with you and that your garden is growing well.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions