Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Question about mailing bubble envelopes

Posted by kosko (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 07 at 21:54

Is there any size limit to mailing these? I've done it before and last time it was much thicker then it is now and they stuck the postage on it for me at the post office it was a dollar something and when I took it there this time the said it was too thick and it will cost $11 to mail!!! It is going from NS to NFLD. The envelope this time is square instead of regtangular would that have made a difference? The thickness is about 1/2-3/4 of the lenth of my thumb. Any one have any insight or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Question about mailing bubble envelopes

Hi kosko,

If you can get the seeds into a bigger envelope (either business sized or regular sized) to bring the thickness of it down, you will be able to send it cheaper. If the envelope can not fit through that slot that they use at the Post Office, then the postage starts going up sky high.

Good Luck

o

I lay the seedpacks evenly on a piece of cereal-box card, cut to fit the bubble envelope. Then, I wrap it with "press and seal" wrap. The packs don't shift, and they fit the template. It's the 'bulgey' packs they don't like.
I used this method for a round robin, and we didn't have to pay higher postage.

Wendy

o

The bubble envelope must be a maximum of 2cm thick and 38 cm Long x 27 cm Wide to be classified as an oversized envelope delivered within Canada.

Non-Standard and oversize envelopes including bubble envelopes

up to 100g is $1.10
Between 100g up to 200g is $1.86
200g up to 500g is $2.55

After 500g it's a parcel.

Most seeds can be mailed in a #0 or #1 size bubble envelope under 50g for $1.10

Here is a link that might be useful: canada post

o

jimmyjojo nailed the official version.

However - one can mail padded enveloped that exceed Canada Post's stated dimensions. Usually... If you do it a certain way... And you have to accept that it may not go through - that has only happened to me once though. (Dimensions only - you cannot exceed the weight. You have to be a stickler for weight.)

What you don't do is hand it to a postal clerk. Never, ever, ever! They'll apply the official standards 100% 0f the time (it's their job, after all). If you are unsure about the weight of your padded mailer, ask them to weigh it for you only - do not ask them to mail it. Add postage appropriate to the weight ($1.10 if it is under 100g, or $1.86 if it is between 100 and 200g), and place it in a mail box (the big red sort) outside of the post office - preferably one on a busy street corner.

Ninety nine times out of one hundred, this will go through, but because it is not officially correct, you may have it returned postage due. As I said, this has happened to me only once, and I do it all the time.

BP

o

Kosko, surely that clerk made an error. Yesterday I mailed a box about 12 X 18 inches and about 4 inches high. It went Expresspost, insured for $55 , requiring signing for receipt and that cost me $12.00. Try another Post Office.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here