Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmacdona1

HAVE: Come Join Us - 4th Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

hmacdona1
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am hosting another Tomato and Pepper seed swap that will include members from a few different forums. I wanted to post this a bit early so you have time to collect seeds or place an order.

Here are the guidelines we will follow for this swap:color="#0000FF">

Seeds must be received by me no later than November 15th, so I recommend you mail your envelope no later than November 1st.

You can send "named varieties" of tomatoes or peppers (or both). Do not include mixes or seeds labeled "granny's mystery mix" or unnamed bell peppers or anything like that. I cannot, in fairness, send mixed or unknown packs of seed back to people that followed the instructions and only sent in "named varieties". If I receive anything like this, the seeds will be returned to you, unless they are clearly marked as bonus seeds.

If you are sending hybrid seeds, only F1 seeds from a commercial source are acceptable. Your source for the F1 seeds must be clearly marked on your envelope/seed pack. Do not send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant. They will not grow true to the original parent plant. If you are unsure if the seed you have collected is from a hybrid, please do your research online before mailing in your seeds.

A minimum of 10 seeds per packet. A maximum of 5 packets of the same seed. An overall maximum of 40 packets per person. Please stick to this limit as this ensures fairness and variety for all participants. Every year, I have a few people push past this limit and slip in a note that says "hope you don�t mind�.and by the way..I only want rare varieties in return"�LOL. Sorry folks that won�t work. It�s just not fair to others. Bonuses are of course more than welcome. I just ask that bonuses be marked accordingly.

Please ensure seed packets are clearly marked with the name, and whether they are heirloom, OP (Open Pollinated), or F1 hybrid seeds. If you are sending pepper seeds, it would help me a great deal with sorting if you could indicate on the packages if the peppers are sweet or hot as many individuals in the last swap had clear preferences. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well. In another posting, I will provide a list of highly sought after seed varieties from last years swap, in case that�s of interest to those wondering what to send in.

If you send tomato seeds, you will receive tomato seeds in return. The same idea for peppers, unless you include a note indicating you want something different in return. You can also send in tomato seeds and ask for pepper seeds in return or visa versa, or any combination. I fully expect a large variety and volume of seed types to be able to accommodate this.

4) Please include a list of what you are sending, your wish list and if there are any seeds you do

not want to receive. It is very important to take the time to write out a list of what you are sending, otherwise I have to do it for you and I do not have time for that. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me that as well. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees of course. The variety will be completely dependent on what is sent in. In last year's swap, we were able to fill many items on people's wish lists so please take the time to prepare one - it will be worth your while. I do my best to be fair in this swap.

You will need to mail your seeds along with $1.25 in return postage stamps. If you are sending 10 or less seed packets, you should be fine just mailing in a regular envelope with seeds wrapped in tissue (I am happy to provide the return envelope in this case). If you are sending more than 10 seed packets, I would recommend you send a bubble envelope, with a return label inside and I will reuse the same bubble envelope to return your surprise seeds to you.

If you change your mind after registering, and no longer wish to participate, PLEASE notify me immediately so we do not delay the swap waiting for your seeds to arrive.

This will also save me a great deal of time trying to follow up and track people down.

I will email you privately with my mailing address once you have posted here to sign up for this swap. You must make sure that your gardenweb profile has your email address attached and it's visible to other members, so I can contact you. Please triple check this before signing up for this swap.

Any questions. Please let me know. Let's have fun exchanging seeds !!!!

Thanks��Heather

Please note - I will be out of town on business September 25th thru 29th and October 11th thru 15th and will not be responding to anyone during that time.

Comments (126)

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A quick update for everyone....as I'm sure you're very anxious to get your surprise packages back. Once all of the envelopes have been received, I will get started on filling and remailing your "surprise" packages back to you. I'm waiting on 40+ envelopes, and I expect the majority will arrive close to mid November.

I will post updates in this forum when I start remailing envelopes. Please remember...it will likely take a couple of weeks for your envelope to arrive once I've mailed it.

I would really appreciate if you could let me know when your envelope has arrived.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I received seeds from:

* happygardener23
    * jonboy999
    * kwilds
    * luckynes13
    * pondgardener
    * rgvnewf
    * slowrolling
    * tmacmillan

I have not had an opportunity to sort through the seeds you sent in, so may have to reach out to you individually, over the next couple of days, with any questions I may have on the seeds you sent in.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received some veggie seeds that "tmacmillan" has generously donated as bonuses. There are limited quantities of these, so let me know asap if you are interested in anything on this list. First come first serve, and this offer will be posted in all participating forums:

* Cilantro
    * Cucumber Muncher
    * Lettuce Grand Rapids
    * Okra
    * Radish Round Black Spanish
    * Spinach Tyee Hybrid
    * Strawberry - Sweet Fresca

I am off to my beloved dentist tonight for my annual checkup so will not be able to post updates on what's "taken" until later tonight. I will go by timestamps on replies. It does not matter if you reply by email or post here.

Thanks....Heather

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

Glad you got my seeds. Could I have the cilantro please?

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Luckynes13...you're too late for the cilantro.

The strawberry and cilantro are gone.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cucumber muncher is gone as well.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Grand Rapids Lettuce and Okra are now gone.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The rest of these bonus seeds are now gone.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

* Neepeppers
    * Rane_grow
    * Sorellina

I haven't had a chance to sort through the seeds yet, so I may still need to contact you if I have any questions.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok everyone....I have one packet of Spinach Tyee Hybrid to give away as a bonus. The person that wanted the last pack no longer wants it. Please let me know asap if you'd like this seed.

Folks, please consider requests for bonus seeds a done deal as I have already stuffed the envelopes with the miscellaneous veggie bonus seeds that have were gifted and posted updates in all the forums. It's really not that easy for me change everything if you change your mind at this point

Thanks

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the spinach seeds are now gone.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I received seeds from "Highaltatransplant".

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

* Jay_NY
    * Robin_northcal
    * Sweet_marie

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

* ameera
    * dirtdiggin
    * kywitt
    * rick_in_va
    * ruthz
    * sandysgardens
    * tomazo
    * the666bbq

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi folks,

I'm still waiting on a few envelopes to arrive and then I'll be able to move forward with filling and remailing envelopes.

I may be delayed in giving you updates on Nov 15th and 16th as I'm running full-day workshops both days, which means I'll be putting in 18 hour work days. If I have any "umph" left when I get home at night...I'll give you an update on envelopes received...if not...you'll hear from me eventually...I promise :)

Meanwhile...Rick_in_Va was kind enough to donate some Chinese Scarlet/Pumkin tree eggplant to give as bonuses. Let me know asap if interested. Once again..I'll be going by time stamps on responses. First come first serve.

I also have a few cucumber double yield seeds left to give away as bonuses. If you didn't respond to this offer previously, let me know if you want any of these.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Chinese Scarlet/Pumkin tree eggplant is now gone.

• patsyann
    12 years ago

Would like some of the double yield cucumber seeds please.
    Patsyann

• patsyann
    12 years ago

I just noticed cucumber muncher seeds. Can you please include a few of these seeds with my request for the double yield cucumber seeds as well.

Patsyann

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Patsyann, I got you down for the cucumber yield seeds, but the cucumber muncher is long gone. Those were taken a while back.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Have received a couple of envelopes but am still waiting on a few more. meanwhile I am still working away on sorting, researching tomato types so I know who they're suited for and adding to the spreadsheet database so wish lists can be scanned. It will take me a while to get through this, and cross reference have lists, do not want lists, and wish lists.....so thanks for your patience.

I've had a few impatient people contact me already asking why I haven't started mailing envelopes yet, so I thought it would be best if I posted an update, so you can have some perspective on what's involved. It would be quick and easy if I just closed my eyes and randomly stuffed envelopes like some swaps, but that's obviously not the intention of this swap.

Thanks for all of your patience everyone. All of you have been great...and I know you are anxiously waiting on your surprises.

Will give you further updates once I've started mailing envelopes.

....Heather

• cziga
    12 years ago

Hey no worries Heather, I think we all appreciate how much time and effort you put into this swap to make it one of the best on the forums every year. With all the participants, and the attention to detail, we will all greatly appreciate you trying to fill our wishlists :) A couple extra days makes no difference, as we won't be using the seeds for a couple months anyways. Thank you for taking the time ... :)

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tomorrow (Nov 22nd), on my way to work..I'll be mailing an envelope back to "happygardener23".

I've managed to mail back a few other envelopes, but not from this forum.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The outstanding envelopes finally arrived today :)

Tomorrow morning I will be mailing an envelope to:

* Greengo

Please let me know when your envelope arrives.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I managed to get a couple more envelopes packed for mailing on my way to work this morning. Will be mailing envelopes to:

* abeysth
    * ameera

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I mailed an envelope to "Punkrotten".

Please let me know when it arrives.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tomorrow morning I will be mailing envelopes to:

* behlgarden
    * mike3

Please let me know when your envelopes arrive.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I managed to get another envelope in the mail this morning. Just sent one back to "kywitt".

Please let me know when your envelope arrives.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I mailed seeds to "jonboy999"

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tomorrow morning (Nov 27th) I will be mailing envelopes to:

* barefootgardener12
    * bdgardener
    * botanicat
    * highaltatransplant

Please let me know when you receive your seeds.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got a couple more out. Today I mailed seeds to:

* flytier
    * sandysgardens

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tomorrow morning (Nov 28th), I will be mailing seeds to:

* Diclemeg
    * Jaynine

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tomorrow morning (Nov 29th), I will be mailing seeds to:

* kwilds
    * luckynes13
    * neepeppers
    * patsyann
    * rgvnewf

Please let me know when your seeds arrive.

Thanks....Heather

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

Got the seeds, thanks again Heather, you have outdone yourself once again. Absolutely fabulous.

Cheryl

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for letting me know they arrived safe and sound Cheryl.

Tomorrow morning (Dec 1st) I will be mailing envelopes to:

* robin_northcal
    * sweetmarie

Thanks....Heather

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    12 years ago

I got my seeds too! WOW, everything I asked for and much-much-much more! Amazing, thank you very much, Heather!!!

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So glad you're happy with the seeds greengo. Thanks for letting me know they arrived ok.

Today I mailed seeds to:

* coolbythecoast
    * newine
    * phpete
    * ruthz

Please let me know when your seeds arrive.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I am mailing seeds to:

* bigdan1
    * heavyoilguy
    * tomazo
    * xaroline

Thanks....Heather

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

Got my mail today. Very nice Heather, thank you very much. I almost have everything I need for next year now.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the update luckynes13. Much appreciated.

On my way to work today, I will be mailing seeds to:

* cziga

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I am mailing seeds to:

* appaloosa909
    * theman7676

Sorry for the delay in getting these out everyone. This is taking me a bit longer than I had hoped as I've had a number of very late nights for work. I'm running workshops the remainder of this week as well, and tend to get home shortly before midnight, so thanks for your patience. Am striving to get the remaining envelopes out by this weekend.

Thanks....Heather

• xaroline
    12 years ago

Thank you, Heather, and all the people who donated the interesting variety.
    The seeds arrived yesterday. I am pleased with the assortment, and look forward to starting them in the spring. Thanks, again to Heather for doing the swap!
    Caroline

• xaroline
    12 years ago

It might be an idea for each of us to check out Heather's own Wish List to
    see if we have seeds which she wants.
    Caroline

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the updates everyone.

Today I mailed envelopes to:

* rane_grow
    * rick_in_va
    * roadkill

I'm hoping to get the rest of the envelopes stuffed today and tonight.

Thanks...Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I mailed seeds to:

* roper2008
    * slowrolling
    * the666bbq
    * tinley244
    * tmacmillan

I had thought for sure I'd be able to get through the rest of the envelopes last night, but they're taking a lot longer to fill than I anticipated. We'll get them done shortly.

Thanks....Heather

• cziga
    12 years ago

I just got my seeds in the mail today ... THANK YOU!!! The variety is astounding and I got just about all of my "really wants" for next summer, wow! Thank you to everyone who send in seeds and participated, it helps make this one of the best swaps around ... and a HUGE TREMENDOUS thank you to Heather. The amount of time and effort that you put into this is amazing, taxing I'm sure, but so much appreciated by all of us. Thank you for organizing this swap again and for taking the time to help make sure that we all get some of the seeds that we really really want, and a great variety of new ones to try as well!

I wish I could send you something off your wishlist as a thank you, but I took a look and don't have any of them ... your wishlist in much the same as mine in some respects, lol!

But I did want to let you know that they arrived, and to thank you for all the time and effort you have put into this!

• sorellina
    12 years ago

Ciao Heather-

My parcel came in the mail this morning and I was way amazed because I've been looking for my name and didn't see it - maybe I missed it somehow. Anyway, thank you so much for all of your hard work, just as cziga has said. We do appreciate the love and care you put into each parcel. I'm going to wait to open mine until I can share it with Duane, the pepperhead.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I mailed seeds to:

* john11840
    * slo_garden

Thanks....Heather

• sorellina
    12 years ago

Ciao Heather-

Wow, we went through the seeds together this morning and you're a rock star, thank you so much! I know my list is tough tough tough, so I have to thank everyone who participated as well! BIG hugs! That Czech Black has been on Duane's list for what seems like forever, so whoever contributed that one, another big hug.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I mailed seeds to:

* dirtdaddy
    * dirtdiggin
    * flowergal2010
    * jay_ny
    * kellyk49
    * pondgardener

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tomorrow morning I am mailing seeds to:

* mayeeta

That's the last of the envelopes for this swap. If I inadvertantly forgot to post that I mailed your envelope back, not to worry...it's been sent.

Thanks everyone for your participation and patience while I fill envelopes. Next year, if I decide to do this again, I think I'll bump up the deadline by a week, so I'm not stuffing envelopes when I should be getting ready for Christmas...LOL.

Take care everyone. Enjoy the Christmas season with your friends, family and of course...beloved pets.

.....Heather

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions