Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
origami_master

HAVE: 2008 Annual Fall Group Exchange

origami_master
15 years ago

It's almost that time again. This year, will be our third annual group exchange, and I extend an invitation to past members who have participated, and a special invitation to our newer members to participate. I'm sure your gardens are still in bloom, and it is still early to collect seeds, but I though an early note will give notice so interested members can keep an eye out for seeds. As per previous years, the exchange will take place during the first two weeks of October. Interested members, please post here, or email me at: kennyso25@gmail.com

Thank you, and I hope everyone has an enjoyable experience!

Kenny

Comments (91)

• laura_in_hamilton
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny.

My seeds are in the mail en route to you.

Laura

• May To
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny, I sent my seeds today.

• wmc1
    15 years ago

Seeds are on their way Ken, thanx
    Bill

• blueheronretreat
    15 years ago

Can I still get in on the exchange?

• daylady
    15 years ago

I would love to join the 2008 fall trade too.

• jazzyjasmine
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny:

I mailed my seeds today.

Cheers, J J

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

packages came in from:
    Heather, Calgary
    laura, Hamilton
    William, Sarnia
    Shanta, Burlington

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

Mailed mine Thursday. Just like an early Christmas! Thanks Kenny!

• Jeanne
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny. I dropped off my seeds at the post office this morning.
    Jeanne

• lisab_grower
    15 years ago

Hi, I very new to this, I would like to join if I still can. I'm not sure how this is done though. If you could send me some info that would be great.....where to send the seeds? How many packs to send? Do you get back the number of packs that you send in? Is there anything that shouldn't be sent?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to being able to join in on the fun
    Lisa

• holidays99
    15 years ago

I just dropped off my seed today

Mary

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

packages came in yesterday from:
    Sharon, Midland
    Wendy H, Oakville
    Wendy L, Cambridge
    Janet, Langley

• tracielynn
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny, I dropped my seeds at the post office yesterday.

Tracie

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

Kenny: Just wanted to let you know that my seeds for the swap were posted yesterday. Should be arriving this week. Thankyou. Ross.

• carsbrook
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny,

I have lots of seeds ready (both annuals and perennials) but don't know where to send them. Would you please email me your address and other details (i.e. size of the packages, etc.). I can mail them to you today.

Regards - Bo

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

packages came in today from:
    May, Richmond
    Kay, Sudbury
    Melanie, Sarnia x2
    Ross, Chatham
    Tracy, Merritt
    Jeanne, West Jeddore

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

carsbrook, I cannot email you. your email is not on your profile. if you would like to participate, please email me at kennyso25@gmail.com and I will forward you the email that I sent everyone with details, address ,etc.

• mariana2007
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny,

Mailed my seeds today.

Mariana

• cziga
    15 years ago

Kenny,
    Just to let you know, I mailed the seeds yesterday. I know it is a day later than suggested, but they are not travelling very far at all, so should still get to you in time. Thanks!

• skraps
    15 years ago

Hello: Hello: Sorry I was to late sending my phg, so I delivered it into your mail box on Monday..Please let me know if you Received it..I will also send you a email..ty

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

all the packages are sorted and are ready to mail except for two. just a general note: I had about everyone say no marigolds, and there were people who sent marigolds. What I did was swap marigold seeds with everyone who sent them in, and swapped some of my seeds for some marigolds. However, there were many more packages than were needed, so I had to send some packets back (almost everyone got 1-2 packets back). I've sent emails to some members who i had to run by some things. Hopefully everyone will be able to get their seeds before the end of next week.

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

Yeah! Thanks Kenny. If I knew how, I'd twist up a piece of paper into a really intriguing shape for you!

• wlongon5b
    15 years ago

Received my package today. Got a good of variety of seeds. Many were on my "wants" list. Thanks Kenny and to all who sent in their seeds to trade.
    You made my day!!!!
    Wendy

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

Got mine today too! Thanks Kenny!

• carsbrook
    15 years ago

I am thrilled with my seed collection and can't wait for the Spring to see all these new plants growing in my garden. Thank you so much Kenny for organizing this exchange. Bo

• carsbrook
    15 years ago

I received a packett of seeds marked "Spear" but can't figure out what plant this is. Does anyone know another name for "SPEAR"?

Thanks

Bo

• dmrs49
    15 years ago

Kenny,
    I received my seeds today. Thank you for all your work.Unfortunately my run of bad luck with Canada Post has continued this month. My package arrived opened. There were only 10 packs inside. The good news is that I did get some new marigolds, delphinium, and datura that I had hoped for. I hope that whoever has the seeds puts them to use and enjoys them.... Anyway these things happen sometimes ...we just had a parcel to Nanuvit go missing too!! It was fun participating and Kenny I'll be watching for your swap post again next year.
    Marlene

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm glad they're starting to arrive. HOpefully everyone gets theirs soon.

Marlene, I am really REALLY sorry about your package. I probably didn't tape the envelope close securely enough. Please accept my apologizes. Also, if you would like, email me a copy of your wish list, and I'll send you what I have on your list :D

Bo, I vaguely remember a packet marked SPEAR...was it a small plastic baggie with small seeds (like the size of snapdragon seed?) I'll look around a bit for you. I should have made a note when I first saw it and asked whoever sent them in. If you sent in the SPEAR seeds, please post here or email me if you don't want to be named...or if you only know the plant as SPEAR, could you please describe it (like how the flower looks like).

And also, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Any suggestions to make the trade better, or to make it more fair, or suggestions of how I can make the swap better.

• wlongon5b
    15 years ago

Marlene, It is funny you mentioned that your package arrived opened because mine did too. Since my package had the same number of seed packs as I had sent, I figured nothing was taken. The envelope had a footprint on it so I think someone had stepped on it. Boy, what is happening at Canada Post. Their poor service won't stop me from participating in these swaps. I certainly enjoy them:)
    Wendy

• rosco_p
    15 years ago

Kenny:I received my package of seeds today! Thankyou once again for organizing and making sure that everyone gets a good variety of seeds in return. Just a thought...you might want to check on the brand of tape you are sealing the packages with as mine wasn't opened but it was very easy to remove the tape seal.Other than that all was well and I was glad to once again have participated in your swap. Bye for now. Ross.

• skraps
    15 years ago

Kenny I received my pkg yesterday..Thank-you so much..I look forward to winter sowing. Thanks for all your hard work with arranging the swap.. Good job

• eternity2669
    15 years ago

Awesome job Kenny...ty so much for putting forth the effort, we all really enjoy and appreciate it!

Melanie

• carsbrook
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny,
    yes, the SPEAR seeds were in a small plastic baggie. They're tiny and brownish and the baggie was full. I tried searching the web but couldn't find the plant with such name. Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Bo

• wlongon5b
    15 years ago

Bo,
    While searching online, I found a plant called African Spear aka Variegated Snake Plant ( Sansevieria cylindrica patula ). I wonder if this could be your "SPEAR"
    Wendy

• carsbrook
    15 years ago

Thanks Wendy. I doubt it's the Sansevieria as i have this plant for many years and I've never seen it bloom. I guess I'll just plant the seeds and wait to see what comes out. And maybe the person that sent the seeds will read this post and let us know what kind of a plant SPEAR is :-)

Bo

• wmc1
    15 years ago

Got my seeds, thanks a ton Kenny. Quite a variety, will have to think of which ones to winter sow.

Bill

• laura_in_hamilton
    15 years ago

Hi gang.

I just had to comment on the opened mail thing. I've done about 7 or 8 trades in the past 2 months and I've noticed that the envelopes I've received that have been reused and taped closed before being sent out to me seem to be an open invitation for postal workers to re-open them. The ones I've received with the original flap sealed have been fine.

Oh and Wendy, I had a package come back to me with a "no such number" sticker on it (I've had 2 of these with no apparent address errors...don't know what that's about) and this one had a truck tire print across it!

Laura

• mariana2007
    15 years ago

Got my seeds today. I'm very pleased with the variety of seeds. Thanks Kenny!

• jazzyjasmine
    15 years ago

Received the seeds yesterday. Thanks for arranging this Kenny. This must have been a ton of work for you.

My package arrrived intact - no problems.

Only one thing - somebody sent me a pack of seeds that said:

'Giant Imperial - Annual'.

Does the sender remember what this is?

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Laura, I'm not surprised at getting reused envelopes, because if it can be reused, you should reuse. But it's just sometimes, the envelope has been used, opened and closed so many times that the paper gets really thin, and you can actually see the bubble wrap inside. The address labels are read by machines at the sorting facility at Canada Post. If the address is not clear, then it goes to a person mail sorter.
    Jasmine, I think it might be Larkspur or Stock.
    It's taking longer this year for the packages to reach their destination, but they should be getting there.

• holidays99
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny,
    Thanks for everything you have done, great job.

I enjoy my surprise pack.

Mary

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny,

My surprise package arrived today. What a wonderful variety of seeds. Thanks for all of your hard work in organizing this.

In case anyone else reads this note, I too received a package of "spear" seeds and would be very interested in knowing more about this plant. To me these look like peony poppy seeds and judging from the volume in the package, this has to be from a plant that produces an abundance of seed.

It would be great if the person that contributed the "spear" seeds to the swap could post a note with more information on the plant...maybe a picture, so we can get information through the name that plant forum.

Thanks so much....Heather

• Jeanne
    15 years ago

Thanks Kenny. I got my seeds today too. Now comes the fun, looking them all up, and planning for next year. I got the "spear" seeds too. I did a search and found "white spear onions" and "autumn spear broccoli". I guess it'll be a surprise. Thanks again Kenny.
    Jeannesue

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi all,
    I wasn't able to participate in the ex this time, but have looked in to see how it went. I read about the packages marked "spear" and wondered if it could be spearmint. I am not sure what spearmint seeds look like, but maybe someone else who knows could comment, since Heather provided a description of the ones sent..do they look like poppy seeds?
    just a thought
    gg

• origami_master
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mint seeds are really small, much smaller than poppy seeds, so I'm pretty sure it's not mint. I'm still looking

• May To
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny,

I received the package today. Thanks for organizing this event!

Mayeeta

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Got my package today. Thanks, Kenny.
    - Bev

• tracielynn
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny,

I received my seed package last night. I have never participated in a seed exchange before but have to assume it is a lot of work to organize it all, especially with all of the wonderful different varieties you had to sort through. Thank-you very much for doing this, it was great fun.

Tracie

• cziga
    15 years ago

I got my package as well. Thank you to Kenny for organizing this swap again, and to everyone who participated and sent in such a great variety of seeds!

• daylady
    15 years ago

Hi Kenny,
    I received the package on Saturday. Fabulous variety of seeds.Thanks for organizing this event!

Chris

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert
More Discussions