Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

WANTED: Official Announcement: Spring-Blooming Bulb Swap!

cziga
14 years ago

So here it is, the Official Announcement for the Fall Spring-Blooming Bulb Swap!!!

I have been hosting a bi-annual event  one in the Spring to exchange fall-blooming bulbs (planted in Spring) and then another in the fall to exchange spring-blooming bulbs (planted in the Fall). Perfect for dividing bulbs! We've had a pretty good response for the past several years, and I'm really looking forward to this fall.

This Swap would be for spring-blooming bulbs, rhizomes, corms, etc.

Examples of bulbs include, but are not limited to:

Allium, Daffodil, Crocus, Tulip, Snowdrop, Hyacinth, Muscari, Amaryllis, Anemone, Iris, Bluebell, Trillium, Peony, Daylily, Lily (as lilies can be planted in either Spring or Fall, they will be on both lists).

No Fall Blooming bulbs in this swap please!

Please NO common orange daylilies or ditch lilies.

NO common purple iris please.

Hardy and tender bulbs accepted.

*Please only send bulbs that you would be happy to receive*

Dates:

Bulbs must be received by: October 1

Bulbs will be sent out no later than: October 5

Please remember that the box/bubble envelope you send your bulbs in is most likely the box you will be getting back, only filled with a variety of fun bulbs.

You need to include postage in the same amount as it costs you to send to me. No metered postage please (as it expires) - stamps or cash is acceptable.

Please mark the bulbs you are sending. The bulbs you receive will have the name of the bulbs plus the name of the person that sent them attached.

Please remember to label your bulbs, with the name/cultivar if possible. If you donÂt know the name please give some info, like flower color, variegated leaves, zone, etc.

If I receive bulbs on this end that are dried out or moldy, I will not swap them but will send them back to you. Please send only bulbs that you would be happy to receive!

You may include a small wishlist of some bulbs you would like to receive in return, and I will try to accommodate at least one, if not more, of your requests.

You may also include a small like of bulbs you would NOT like to receive, if there are any! (e.g. no tropicals/non hardy, no daffodils, no yellow tulips, etc.) Again, I will try to accomodate your requests.

Please also include your GardenWeb name so I can keep everyone straight.

If youÂd like to participate in this swap, you can post on this thread and I will send you an email through your member page, OR you can email me personally through my GardenWeb member page, and I will give you my mailing address. My GardenWeb email is usually very reliable, but if I havenÂt responded in several days, you might want to try and email me again!

This should be a lot of fun!

Comments (4)

• cziga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well 2 1/2 weeks left before bulbs are due and there seems to be a little less interest in this swap than usual on this forum -- I have 3 people from the forum email me, and at least 5 from outside this forum so we'll have a good variety of bulbs nonetheless. Of course, if there are still people on here who'd like to participate, please don't hesitate to email me and let me know! We're always looking for more people . . . more people just means more variety!

I'll continue to post on here to keep everyone updated.

One person suggested to me that the beginning of October may be too late in the year to plant new daylilies, especially in the colder zones of Canada . . . so if you'd like to request no daylilies, please just let me know! There are also those who enjoy receiving daylilies in the fall swap and ask for them, so at the same time, don't hesitate to send them in!

• hmacdona1
    14 years ago

Hi Cziga,

Just a thought, but you may wish to post a link on the "Far North Gardening" forum to let those folks know you're doing this. A lot of them never look over on the exchange forum, but may very well be interested in this.

Unfortunately I won't be able to join in. Good luck with your swap.

• Mystery_Gardener
    14 years ago

Hi:

Sounds like fun but I may be too far away to avoid high postage costs. It may be better to form a trade group within our garden club. Great idea though.

Good luck,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

• cziga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well only a few more days till October and the swap has 12 people, 4 from here and 8 from outside the forum so we're definitely going ahead. If you'd still like to get in on this, there's not a lot of time left but let me know.

As for postage, bulbs aren't that bad . . . I've done this in both Spring and Fall for several years now, and postage has never gone over $10 that I remember, and that is for the largest, most heavily stuffed boxes of bulbs! Generally, as there is no dirt etc, the bulbs themselves don't weigh that much and using regular post, it's not too bad at all!

Anyways, I've started receiving a couple packages and the selection looks really good so I'm fairly excited! I'll email to let you all know when your packages arrive and if there's anyone else who is ready and wants to join, just send me an email . . .

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions