Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: weed inhibitor for patio paver fill sand

Posted by alvina z7 B C Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 12:48

I have patios and walkways around my home. I live on acreage surrounded by large cedar trees and the materials falling from the forest have composted, turning the sand between the pavers into fertile black loam that weeds love. I have resorted to pulling up all the pavers and relaying them after removing all the composted sand. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be added and blended into the fill sand to inhibit the weeds?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: weed inhibitor for patio paver fill sand

We had a patio built in 2006 and had a company prepare the 'basement area'. Their last layer was a kind of sand, which when wet, hardens almost like concrete. He had some left and put it against our house where we had some chance of flooding and it has stayed there like it was concrete. I will try to get the name of it for you - I believe I saw it at Home Depot last year.

o

With pavers, you get weeds. Comes with them. Best you can do is fight to a draw.

Re-laying the pavers with a heavy layer of plastic between them and the sand reduces the amount of soil the weeds have access to.

There's roundup. Takes 2 weeks to work, and for dandylions will take 2 or 3 doses.

Road salt. May be hard on the stuff on either side. But it's cheap.

Fertilizer -- straight cheap nitrogen. Mix up a strong solution -- as much as will disolve in hot water. In effect you are burning the plants. Apply lightly, just enough to soak the root. Excess will do the neighboring plants good as it runs off.

Tiger torch. Lightly toast the leaves every 3 weeks.
Key here is to barely wilt the weeds. They use all their efforts to fix the existing leaves instead of starting new ones. Tiger torch and propane tank at princess auto, peavey mart, some BBQ stores.

Furnace oil. Gasoline. Environmentally unfriendly.

Really hot water, or steam.

Attacking weeds:
A wire wheel on a disk grinder works well for cleaning cracks. An ice scraper or a shovel if there is more weed than paver showing.

o

We use corn gluten (from a feed mill) which inhibits germination - I sweep it over the patio stones about twice a year - it is natural, not harmful, works fine, cheap _ 55 pounds for about $8
I have also heard that industrial strength vinegar (20%) works fine but have not been able to find it anywhere.
Hope this helps

o

I use regular vinegar 4%. Spray it on the cracks. It changes the PH level of the soil to a point where the plants (read ANY plant) can not process nutrients or water.
One or two applications while the weeds are small will inhibit growth.
It is said that the PH level will be changed for quite some time so it is not recommended to be used on the flower beds.
Dana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here