Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmrs49

HAVE: burgs

dmrs49
16 years ago

I have double purple and double yellow burgs (from Vesey seed this year). I have no room inside to overwinter so would like to trade for... shrub or climbing rose, double lilac, weeping cutleaf Japanese maple...or make me an offer. These plants are too large to mail so we would have to make other arrangements.

Comments (6)

• jenf
    16 years ago

Would you consider cuttings? If so they can be mailed more easily. I would be willing to trade for a rooted Hibiscus syriacus (Rose-of-Sharon)cutting. I also have rooted Jasmine cuttings.

• samfawzy10
    16 years ago

Hi dmrs49,

would you mind posting pictures for your brugs?
    Also, where are you located?
    Thanks, Seham

• origami_master
    16 years ago

If you are considering cuttings, I would love some. I have some arum italicum bulbs and some saffron crocus bulbs which I dug out earlier this year to trade. I can get some tropical hibiscus cuttings (peach, salmon, yellow, bright red), oleander (white or pink) or some lantana cuttings

• sammyqc
    16 years ago

I hate to disappoint you, but if you grew these from Vessey's seed this year, they are probably daturas, not brugs.
    Vessey's sells brugs, but only the small cuttings, not seeds.
    Datura's are usually not very long lasting, and not really worth the bother of trying to overwinter, as they grow so easily from seed and very quickly as well.
    Also, there are no purple brugs available, but there are daturas (doubles, triples, swirls, etc...)
    For people looking for brugs, check out the brug forum in the fall. Quite a few canadian growers offer cuttings for postage (yours truly included) and some offer plants if you can pick up, due to the lack of space, and the fact that they are usually cut back quite hard before overwintering, so we have lots of cuttings. They are very easy to propagate from cuttings.
    Sam.

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

I have some pinks, overwintered for two years now, and not looking forward to doing it again. (Bugs, bugs, and more bugs). Any advice on how to bring them in, remain dormant, i.e. no bugs, etc. Do I dig them up from the garden, chop them down and treat them like a geranium?
    BTW, I will have cuttings available, but I am so not into dedicating an unused room to whitefly.
    Here's a shot of the bloom (thanks John)
    {{gwi:691551}}

• sammyqc
    16 years ago

For overwintering them, do you have a cold room/basement area to keep them in? As long as the room doesn't freeze, then you can let them go dormant. strip off all the leaves before you bring it in, and give it a massive blasting soak with the hose to try and get rid of bugs. I don't have that option, so I always get aphid infestations, which drive me batty!!! This year, I'm going to strip them no matter how gorgeous they are (they always seem to go into full bloom mode just before I have to bring them in, and of course, I'm a sucker, and want them to flower, even indoors!) And then a couple months later, just when I think I'm safe, I start noticing the darn aphids!
    Anyway, if you're digging them up, pot them up and water very sparingly during the winter. Good luck, and check out the brug forum here. Lots of good advice.
    Sam.

Sponsored
More Discussions