Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Growing broccoli in Calgary

Posted by althetrainer (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 16:06

My husband planted some broccoli this year. He started them from seeds, outdoor, in the middle of June. When they first came out they looked lovely. But now they are between 12" and 18" tall, very spindly. Among the 20 plants that my husband put down, only one of them has signs of a little production, about 1/2" wide, right in the center of a very tall plant. I have a feeling if that floret grows any bigger the plant will fall over.

My husband has also grown some carrots about a foot away from the broccoli plants. They don't look so good neither. I am afraid the broccoli is shading the carrot plants. To make matter worse, the butterflies are eating the broccoli leafs.
Calgary weather is notoriously unpredictable. A hot summer day can go up to the 30's, then things can change in a matter of hours. We have had rain, hails, frost, even a bit of snow this summer. We normally have luck with carrots and potatoes. Other than that, we haven't have any success growing anything else.

I have my doubts if we will get anything from the broccoli plants since summer will soon be over. If I pull them at least the carrots will have a chance to grow. On the other hand, I hate to disappoint my husband... he did put forward his time and efforts. :-(

Should we leave the broccoli alone? Or should we get rid of them to give the carrots a chance to grow?

Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Growing broccoli in Calgary

Broccoli is a cool weather plant as are carrots. You can start broccoli and carrots from seed as soon as the ground can be worked in the spring. No problem growing them side-by-side if you plant so the sun gets to the plants. In other words, plant your rows east to west. It is not butterflies that are eating your broccoli, but the little green worms that come from the eggs they lay on the plants. Check with one of your garden-centers as to what to dust them with. Of course, this info. applies to next year. As to now, you can still use your whole broccoli plants even though they are small in stir-fry and soups. Ditto with your little carrots.

o

hi there. I grow brocoli every year and I squish everything in and around them.
I take old plastic pots, cut the bottoms off and put around seedings I grew from seed in each one. I do not even water all season. The secret is wood ash. They love it, so do all cole crops, beets cabbage etc.
take a gallon pail and sprinkle in and about your garden. Wood ash will raise the ph of your garden. I live in the northern part of Alberta 85 north of grande prairie and My broccoli is always great...good luck

o

To add re worms...surrounding your plants with cans or pots (no bottoms will halp keep woms away and keeping potash from wood ash in your garden gets rid of them too...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here