Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
althetrainer

WANTED: Growing broccoli in Calgary

althetrainer
13 years ago

My husband planted some broccoli this year. He started them from seeds, outdoor, in the middle of June. When they first came out they looked lovely. But now they are between 12" and 18" tall, very spindly. Among the 20 plants that my husband put down, only one of them has signs of a little production, about 1/2" wide, right in the center of a very tall plant. I have a feeling if that floret grows any bigger the plant will fall over.

My husband has also grown some carrots about a foot away from the broccoli plants. They don't look so good neither. I am afraid the broccoli is shading the carrot plants. To make matter worse, the butterflies are eating the broccoli leafs.

Calgary weather is notoriously unpredictable. A hot summer day can go up to the 30's, then things can change in a matter of hours. We have had rain, hails, frost, even a bit of snow this summer. We normally have luck with carrots and potatoes. Other than that, we haven't have any success growing anything else.

I have my doubts if we will get anything from the broccoli plants since summer will soon be over. If I pull them at least the carrots will have a chance to grow. On the other hand, I hate to disappoint my husband... he did put forward his time and efforts. :-(

Should we leave the broccoli alone? Or should we get rid of them to give the carrots a chance to grow?

Al

Comments (3)