Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Looking for succulents/jades

Posted by roadworthy none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 18:19

Hello everyone:) I have been searching the internet for a place to purchase plant cuttings in Canada with no look. I am a couple years new to houseplants and am finding that succulents and cacti in particular really love the upstairs of our home. I have one Jade that I purchased 2 years ago at a fundraiser. My foster son brought home a tiny cactus plant from school that has doubled in size. He has really enjoyed learning to care for it. The grocery stores here carry a very limited supply of plants. If anyone has any neat varieties of Jades or cactus that can share a clipping please contact me. I can offer a jade clipping in return but it is the basic crassula (?sp) I have no problem paying for shipping and your efforts just let me know what is fair. Thanks so much in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Looking for succulents/jades

Hi,
The place in Ontario to get succulents is Belgian Nurseries between Guelph and Cambridge, they easily have over 60 kinds. I treated myself to a bunch of their succulents this spring. I don't know if they do mail order - I've emailed them to find out - I'm curious too since it's too far for me to go without another purpose in the area. I can send you leaves from a few kinds, some seem to be much better than others at taking root, but my spotty watering may be the cause of that. No need for a trade I grew a bevy of plain jade plants from a friend's cuttings and will be giving them away to whoever will take them to make room for fancy geraniums cuttings to overwinter in the fall. Would you also be interested in a plant of 'Mother of millions'? It goes by many names. It grows mini plants at the edges of it's leaves, which fall off and take root where they land. From one plant I now have at least two class sets for a friend's children come September.

o
Belgian Nurseries' response

Here is the speedy Belgian Nurseries' response: We do not do any mail order, sorry. I am not familiar with any websites for propagating succulents, mixed results are quite common when taking cuttings/rooting from leaves.
Good to hear that you are enjoying the planters you made, succulents are a lot of fun to work with!

o

I am not sure where you are located, but can I suggest you ask a local recycling group at yahoo groups, or even Craiglist or Kijiji. Someone might give some to you for free in your home town if you ask nicely. Gardeners are like that.

o

Hi..if you email me at penmac@sympatico.ca I will tell you where you can purchase many different kinds of succulents.
Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here