Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: knottyceltic

Posted by wildie z3 Alberta (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 20:19

My seeds arrived today! I hope yours made it to you!
And thankyou for everything, it was so sweet of you to include extra seeds for me!!
I can't wait to try the bleeding heart. I have an Old fashioned from a neighbor so the solid pink will be a nice addition to another side of our garden whenever we finally sell this house and move!
Yes it's too bad I don't live near you, I'd for sure dig up your seedlings!!! I am lowly zone 2B-3A, so my rose of sharon that I have now (pink w/red throat) overwinters in my livingroom, so I'll have a few more planters inside next winter!
I will keep the zebrina seeds on my wish list and hopefully someone will add them to their group seed swap pkgs, and origami_master will set them aside for me!!!
If you have never tried aquilegia seeds, definately use the wintersowing method! They are kindda hard to germinate any other way, they really need the freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw action!!! And I hope you enjoy the viola as much as I do, it's just so cheery, my 2 plants are still blooming strong, so I just keep gathering more seed!
Thanx again!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: knottyceltic

• Posted by wildie z3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 21:20

Hey I did some digging on the bleeding heart, many new growers are calling the "old fashioned" pink now, but Dicentra Formosa is solid pink.... which one did you send me seeds for? LOL Thanx!!!

o

Hi Hi! Just returned from our family vacation and yes your seeds arrived too. I'm so glad you aren't peeved with me about the mix up with the Zebrina. It's been bothering me for weeks that I screwed up like that.

The Dicentra/bleeding heart that I sent is 'Dicentra spectabilis', the large heart with the foliage growing upwards of 3-4' in the perfect location. Mine that are in total shade grow to about 3.5 and 4' but the ones that are in more heat/sun don't get as large. Formosa is MUCH smaller, lays lower to the ground, the foliage is a misty green and much more delicate/lacy. The flowers on formosa are a titch darker pink too and they lack the large white "drip" that 'spectabilis' have.

Anyway, glad you are ok about the zebrina business and that you got your seeds alright.

Barb/knottyceltic

o

• Posted by wildie z3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 31, 07 at 17:04

Of course I'm not ticked!!! It happens to the best of us. Infact last summer my mom visited and when she left she took 90% of the seeds in my trade box with her. I had promised a friend a certain seed and when she came for it, it was gone!!! (I made my mom send that one back!)
Another lady I'm doing a swap with has some Zebrina seeds as well as braveheart. She told me if I included 1/2 of the shrub/small tree seeds you sent me she'd send me both Malvas.
I will keep the bleeding heart seeds, just in case my bush doesn't make it. I moved it in spring to a shadier spot and then after it'd bloomed I dug it uup and put it in a pot for the move... It died right back. I think this morning when I went out to smell my rose, I saw a few little leaves poking up. But I do like them so I'd love to start a few more bushes for our new house. If and when we get to move!
Thanx again!!!

o

Oh, I'm so glad it all worked out. :o) Thanks again for the trades.

Barb/knottyceltic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here