Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverflower3a

WANTED: Maple Leaf Seeds.

SilverFlower3a
14 years ago

HI,I would like some MAPLE LEAF seeds from Montreal or Ontario. I live in Manitoba, and we only have the Silver MAPLE Leaf trees. (Green turns to Yellow leaves).

I am originally from Montreal and sure miss the Red, Gold, Burgundy and Orange of the Eastern MAPLE LEAF.

IT's said that the MAPLE leaf trees from the Eastern Provinces cannot survive Manitoba climate, but I am determined, that I can and will grow them, if only someone would be kind enough to send me some of the MAPLE LEAF "helicopter" SEEDS when Fall arrives and they start to fall from the trees.

I have lots of WHITE ANGELS TRUMPETS, RED HOLLYHOCK, FIESTA DAISY and ORNAMENTAL ONION seeds to trade.

THANKS TO ALL. LIZ

Comments (5)

• nyssaman
    14 years ago

Hi Liz

There are probably 4 main maple types that would be represented in the Quebec landscape

The rule of thumb is Silver and Red Maples which I believe are referred to as soft maples flower early and hence their seeds mature in Mid June.

The other types Sugar and Black maples have seed that matures in the fall September onward. I believe these are called hard maples but I could be wrong.

Other maples of note are both Mountain Maple and Striped maple they are native to the Quebec landscape. They are smaller in size.

If you are looking for Hardy Maples.. A Maple seed from southern region might succumb to the cold. ie. Southern Ontario.

If you cant find seed, a great place that sells hardy seeds is "Gardens North" they specialize in Hardy Genotypes of native species.

Cheers and good luck

Jeff

• origami_master
    14 years ago

I can look for some maple seeds for you. I'm going to the university of Guelph this fall, and they have quite a collection of maples in their aboretum. I'll ask if I can pick a few seeds for you.

• SilverFlower3a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HI TO JEFF, THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION ON MAPLE TREES.I HAD NO IDEA THAT THERE WERE SO MANY KINDS OF MAPLES DOWN EAST. ALL I REMEMBER ARE THE COLORS OF THE LEAVES IN THE AUTUMN. I WILL LOOK INTO 'GARDENS NORTH' AND SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO OFFER. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO.

• SilverFlower3a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Origami-master, Wow, thank you for offering to try and get some Maple seeds for me when you go to Guelph this Fall. I will be forever grateful. Let me know if you would like some of the seeds on my list. Have a great trip.

• kayakcraig
    14 years ago

Hi Silverflower! Jefferies Nursery in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba carries Sugar Maples- Check their web site - it might be what you are looking for. Greg