Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

HAVE: Unusual seed exchange

bonniepunch
16 years ago

In past years I have hosted unusual seed Round Robins, but because of the rising postage rates and the fact that it is difficult for people with only one or two sorts of unusual seeds to participate, I thought Id try a different way this year. So - an exchange is being offered. I will accept envelopes until the first of December (this will give you a chance to collect your slow to mature seeds).

This exchange will work like this:

- You send me your unusual seeds in a padded envelope, along with $1.86 in postage and a return address label.

- I will swap your seeds for others that I have received from other people.

- I send your new seeds back to you using your padded mailer and postage.

Pretty simple! Of course there are some other rules I have to apply to keep things working smoothly ï. If you are interested in participating, please read the following, and if youÂre interested, please email me and I will get back to you.

The first big rule is determining what is, and what is not, an unusual seed. This isnÂt for costly or rare seeds, so please do not expect or include any. An unusual seed, for the purposes of this exchange, is a seed that you probably wonÂt find in VeseyÂs or Canadian Tire. Seeds for tropical or houseplants are unusual. Seeds for plants usually sold as bulbs or live perennials are good. Heavily hybridized plants are ok as long as you know the name of the parent(s) - Hostas, Daylilies, and Iris for example (the Âbig green and white Hosta in the backyard does not count!). Echinacea ÂWhite SwanÂ, white Cosmos and Bee Balm are not unusual seeds. Ligularia, Petasites and Heuchera are examples of unusual perennial seeds. There is no definitive list of what qualifies as an unusual seed and what one person considers unusual may be very common in another area, so I will ask people for some examples of seeds that they would like to send. I may veto some of your selections if I think they are too common or if they are being included by everyone (I want this to be as fair as possible for everyone participating). Some examples of unusual seeds that I will be including are Astilboides tabularis, Eucomis, Paeonia officinalis, Clematis brachyura, Hosta ÂInniswoodÂ, Actaea (Cimicifuga) racemosa and actaea simplex ÂBrunetteÂ.

No veggies. I know some people will want them included, but most people will not, so IÂm putting them out of the running early on.

All seeds must be marked with a common name, if known (not all plants have common names), and a botanical name. Please note if the seeds are from a commercial source or collected. If the plant the seeds came from is a hybrid, then that must also be indicated (please give the name of the parent/s, when known).

The seeds must be placed in a leak-proof envelope. I use 2x3" ziplock type envelopes I buy at the dollar store. I recommend against using your own pre-made paper envelopes  these have a history of coming open in transit and the seeds are lost. If you must use them, then make sure they are sealed thoroughly with tape!!! The same goes for those paper coin envelopes  they donÂt always travel well, so tape them shut.

You may include up to five envelopes of the same sort of seed. These will be exchanged for five different seeds. This way, even people with one or two types of unusual seeds will be able to participate. Please keep the number of seed envelopes in your padded mailer to less than thirty. Large seeds should have at least six to twelve seeds in the envelope. Medium seeds should have at least two dozen in the envelope. Small seeds should have a good 1/8 teaspoon full in the envelope. You may put more seeds in the envelope if you wish, but please do not put in fewer than suggested.

If you are sending seeds that will require refrigeration until they are planted, please indicate on the packet, and I will store them as required.

There is no way of knowing what people will send in so there is no way of knowing what you will get back. It will be a surprise. You may make a couple of suggestions as to seeds you would particularly like or dislike and I will make every effort to accommodate those requests, but there are no guarantees.

Further suggestions and comments are more than welcome!

BP

Comments (37)

• thehills
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bonnie, Thanks for organizing! Sent you a list of what I have, look forward to hearing from you. Kirsti

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Looking forward to this Bonnie! Sending you an e-mail.

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thehills - I've sent you a reply to your email - if you don't get it, let me know here! Sometimes GW email doesn't work properly :-)

BP

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tiffy - got your email and have replied as well.

BP

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Just letting you know I got the e-mail. :O)

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oof - got busy yesterday so I didn't respond here to let people know I was recieving their emails!

Anyhow, I already got acknowledgments from two other people that they are getting my replies and tinkerbel - I got your email and also replied.

I want to make sure one thing I wrote above is a bit clearer, just to avoid any confusion - you can send me up to 30 envelopes of seeds. You do not have to send that many if you do not want - that's the maximum per participant. Duplicate seeds envelopes are allowed - up to five envelopes per sort of seed. So some examples of what you can send are:

1x30 (thirty different sorts of seeds)
    2x15 (two envelopes each of fifteen different sorts of seeds)
    5x6 (five envelopes each of six different sorts of seeds)

BP

• claubill
    16 years ago

Would Baptisia (Blue Indigo), oxalis triangularis, dianthus superbum, four o'clocks, malva Ruby Regis, Malva Braveheart, and Malva Zebrina, be considered as rare and unusual seeds?

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

claubill - I would say that the Baptisia and the Oxalis would be on the unusual side, but the others are a bit more common that I am looking for.

BP

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jennifer F - I received your envelope in the mail this afternoon.

BP

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bev W - your packet came in the mail yesterday afternoon.

BP

• sharont
    16 years ago

Bumping this up.
    Bonnie I like to send in some North American Rock Garden Seed packages plus a few from my garden such as
    Dwarf Goatsbeard, aruncus aethusefolius 18 cm
    Campanula rotundifolia (incurva)20 cm
    Salvia argentea, silver sage
    Spilanthes acmella, an unusual annual without florets
    Thalictrum rochebrunianum 1-1.5 m

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been crazy busy the past few weeks getting all my plants sorted out and prepared, so I have been neglecting this for a bit! Sorry 'bout that!!

Anyhow, there is still plenty of time for people that want to participate to send in their seeds.

BP

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharont - I got your envelope in the mail this morning.

BP

• uniqueseedlady
    16 years ago

Hi
    I would love to be a part of the swap. I am working on a germination project and need seeds of all kinds. I have some already too.

Thanks
    Wendy
    Are these considered unusual?
    Poached Egg plant?
    What about Dwarf or Streaked Hosta Seed?
    Hosta Frances Williams seed.
    Trumpet Lily seed or
    Crocosmia.
    Amaranthus "Molten Fire" and
    Amaranthus "Hot Biscuits"

Please e-mail me when you get a chance - I have others as well, some a bit more unique like Allamanda etc but need to know how many seeds per pkg etc.

Thanks so much

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

uniqueseedlady - I apologize for taking a while to respond to you - I was away on holiday and I had very intermittent web access. Some of your listed seeds would be good ones for this exchange. I have tried to email you privately, but you do not have email enabled on your gardenweb page - if you could email me (click on my name or 'my page' and you will get a link to email me). I am home from my holiday now so I will respond right away.

Wanda C - your seed packet arrived yesterday.

BP

• orphanannie
    16 years ago

I woudl also like to join in. I will go to my box and see what I have and ask what you would think is unusual. Thank you

• thehills
    16 years ago

Seeds sent today, thanks again for organizing Bonnie. Kirsti

• thehills
    16 years ago

Seeds sent today, thanks again for organizing Bonnie. Kirsti

• orphanannie
    16 years ago

I'm sorry I couldn't get my act together gathering up all the seeds. - Family obligations too much at this time. I will have to drop out. Please delete my name. Thanks

Annie

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marcelle G - your seeds arrived yesterday.
    Tiffany E - your seeds arrived this morning.

orphanannie - these things happen - it's no problem :-). If you find yourself with the time and the inclination in the next couple of days, there should still be time to get a package to me, especially if you're in Ontario.

Anyone else thinking of joining in, there's still time. You should plan on putting your seeds in the mail by Monday or Tuesday.

BP

BP

• dmrs49
    16 years ago

Bonnie,

I'd really like to participate.
    I have
    double red "Sunrise" morning glory
    "Double Click" cosmos
    yucca
    fern-leaf pink peony
    small wild orchid
    geum "Mrs Bradshaw"
    double purple datura

Do any meet the 'unusual' criteria?

Marlene

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marlene - I've just sent you an email, please let me know if you didn't get it (some people have a hard time with mail sent through GW)

BP

• wildflwer_2
    16 years ago

Hi Bonnie
    Sorry I am writing alittle late for the exchange, I would love to join if I am still on time, I will send you an email with what I have.

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wildflower - there's still time! I haven't received your email as of 7:00PM, so I sent you an email just in case yours went missing :-)

BP

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kirsten O - I got your package in the mail this afternoon.

Anyone else - If you're in BC it's too late to mail me anything. If you're in the praries or the maritimes, your package needs to be mailed today. If you're in Ontario or Quebec, you need to get your packages in the mail today of tomorrow.

BP

• horsetail_2007
    16 years ago

Thanks for the message.My computor has been down while I moved and I have had to rejoin , hense new name.Thanks for doing this.Did you ever get the first package that I sent you? The cardamon is doing great.

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

horsetail - you're Marcelle then, if I'm remembering correctly? I don't remember anyone else mentioning they were moving, but things have been so chaotic this summer and fall, I'm lucky I remember to get up in the morning :-) And if my memory is functioning at all correctly, yours was the sempervivum package that went missing? It never did show up, unfortunately :-( The replacement ones did great and got quite large, one even put off some pups. Now I just have to hope for a decent winter and they should survive just fine. I'm glad to hear the cardamom is doing well - it's pretty easy to grow and shouldn't give you much trouble :-)

BP

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sunita K - your package arrived today
    Kirsti D - same thing, your package also arrived

As of today, this seed exchange is now closed. If your package isn't already in the mail, it is too late. I am waiting for one further package to arrive (from MV) that I know of - if anyone else has sent a package and I have not posted that it has been received, please let me know. As soon as the last package has arrived, I will exchange the seeds and mail them back out to everyone.

BP

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maria V - your package arrived today
    D Simpson - your package also arrived today

I figured I'd get them yesterday, but the big snowstorm we had then meant no mail delivery.

I am not expecting any other packages, so I will swap the seeds tomorrow and get the envelopes back in the mail to everyone by Thursday.

BP

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK everyone - they're in the mail! I expect the Ontario envelopes should start showing up early next week, and the BC and NS ones should be there by the week after.

BP

• sharont
    16 years ago

Thank you BP for doing this exchange again this year.
    Santa arriving early certainly brightens tedious christmas shopping. LOL

• dmrs49
    16 years ago

Bonnie,
    Seeds arrived today...What a delight!!!!!I'm definitely thinking sunshine and flowers even if it is snowing.
    Thank you for all your work and to the others for participating.

Marlene

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The seeds are starting to arrive at their destinations, so everyone, keep their eyes peeled.

I mentioned already to someone, but thought I should make a general mention, that many of these seeds are somewhat, to very challenging to germinate. Sunflowers are cheap, easy to find, and popular for a reason (super easy to grow), and we were exchanging unusual seeds. Please be sure to look up any/all of the seeds you received that you received that you are unfamiliar with, so that you can have the best chance at success (some good sites for germination info: backyard gardener and Tom Clothier's site). Even with this knowledge, not everyone will be successful with everything. It took me four tries at germinating Actaea before I had any success, and I've been growing from seed for twenty years, so I (usually) know what I'm doing :-)

But the theory is that you learn as much from your failures as from your successes, and where you're successful, you'll have some interesting plants for next to nothing :-)

Happy gardening everyone!

BP

• sunita_fleuriste
    16 years ago

Received mine today...wow...very interesting seeds...some I d never heard of but they re all cool! I m looking forward to growing them..

Thanks Bonnie for organizing this!

S

• linkir
    16 years ago

Hi Bonnie -
    The seeds arrived and I'm So Pleased. This year Christmas will be one long and happy spring!!
    Thanks for doing this,
    Kirsten

• jenf
    16 years ago

Got my seeds today Bonnie. Thanks so much, they are awesome. I can't wait to get started. Once again, thanks for you're hard work and have a great holiday season.
    Cheers Jennifer

• sharont
    16 years ago

I'm as determined as you to germinate Actea. My first success this year took two winters. It took three tries with three different seed sources. Just in case those seedlings do not make it through the winter, I'm giving the seeds you sent a go. Got to get them sown soon and into the cold!
    Thanks Bonnie.

Sponsored
More Discussions