Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmacdona1

HAVE: 5th Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

hmacdona1
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am hosting another Tomato and Pepper seed swap that will include members from a few different forums.

Here are the guidelines we will follow for this swap. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL OF THE GUIDELINES.

1) Seeds must be received by me no later than November 15th, so your envelope must be in the mail no later than November 1st.color="#0000FF">

You can send "named varieties" of tomatoes or peppers (or both). Do not include mixes or seeds labeled "granny's mystery mix" or unnamed bell peppers or anything like that. I cannot, in fairness, send mixed or unknown packs of seed back to people that followed the instructions and only sent in "named varieties". If I receive anything like this, the seeds will be returned to you, unless they are clearly marked as bonus seeds.

If you are sending hybrid seeds, only F1 seeds from a commercial source are acceptable. Your source for the F1 seeds must be clearly marked on your envelope/seed pack. Do not send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant. They will not grow true to the original parent plant. If you are unsure if the seed you have collected is from a hybrid, please do your research online before mailing in your seeds.

2)A minimum of 10 seeds per packet. A maximum of 5 packets of the same seed. An overall maximum of 40 packets per person. You must put your seeds into individual packets. I will not do this for you. Please stick to this limit as this ensures fairness and variety for all participants. Every year, I have a few people push past this limit and slip in a note that says "hope you don�t mind�.and by the way..I only want rare varieties in return"�LOL. Sorry folks that won�t work. It�s just not fair to others. Bonuses are of course more than welcome. I just ask that bonuses be marked accordingly.

Please ensure seed packets are clearly marked with the name, and whether they are heirloom, OP (Open Pollinated), or F1 hybrid seeds. If you are sending pepper seeds, it would help me a great deal with sorting if you could indicate on the packages if the peppers are sweet or hot as many individuals in the last swap had clear preferences. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well. In another posting, I will provide a list of highly sought after seed varieties from last years swap, in case that�s of interest to those wondering what to send in.

3) If you send tomato seeds, you will receive tomato seeds in return. The same idea for peppers, unless you include a note indicating you want something different in return. You can also send in tomato seeds and ask for pepper seeds in return or visa versa, or any combination. I fully expect a large variety and volume of seed types to be able to accommodate this.

4) Please include a list of what you are sending, your wish list and if there are any seeds you do

not want to receive. It is very important to take the time to write out a list of what you are sending, otherwise I have to do it for you and I do not have time for that. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me that as well. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees of course. The variety will be completely dependent on what is sent in. In last year's swap, we were able to fill many items on people's wish lists so please take the time to prepare one - it will be worth your while. I do my best to be fair in this swap.

5) You will need to mail your seeds along with $1.29 in return postage stamps. If you are sending 10 or less seed packets, you should be fine just mailing in a regular envelope with seeds wrapped in tissue (I am happy to provide the return envelope in this case). If you are sending more than 10 seed packets, I would recommend you send a bubble envelope, with a return label inside and I will reuse the same bubble envelope to return your surprise seeds to you.

6) If you change your mind after registering, and no longer wish to participate, PLEASE notify me immediately so we do not delay the swap waiting for your seeds to arrive. This will also save me a great deal of time trying to follow up and track people down.

7) I will email you privately with my mailing address once you have posted here to sign up for this swap. You must make sure that your gardenweb profile has your email address attached and it's visible to other members, so I can contact you. Please triple check this before signing up for this swap.

Any questions. Please let me know. Let's have fun exchanging seeds !!!!

Thanks...Heather

Please note - I will be out of town on business Nov 19th through 23rd will not be responding to anyone during that time.

Comments (86)

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

An updated list of what's remaining for those that haven't already responded. There may only be one or two pkgs left of many of these, so you gotta be quick:

Beets Early Wonder Tall
    Borecole Black Tuscany
    Carrot Chantenay
    Celeriac - Giant Prague
    Cilantro
    Cucumber - Armenian Long
    Cucumber - Tasty Green
    Eggplant - Black Beauty
    Radish - Sparkler White Tip
    Turnip - Manchester Market
    Turnip - Purple Globe Top
    Turnip - Seven Top

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

An updated list of what's remaining for those that haven't already responded. There may only be one or two pkgs left of many of these, so you gotta be quick:

Beets Early Wonder Tall
    Carrot Chantenay
    Celeriac - Giant Prague
    Cilantro
    Cucumber - Armenian Long
    Cucumber - Tasty Green
    Eggplant - Black Beauty
    Turnip - Seven Top

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oct 23rd - I received seeds from:

* BriAnDaren
    * BigDan1
    * Churnoble
    * Penguinsrock09
    * Sandysgardens

I have not had a chance to look at what you sent, so may need to contact you a bit later if I have any questions.

Thanks...Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today I received seeds from "Karen58".

Thanks...Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beets Early Wonder Tall
    Celeriac - Giant Prague
    Cilantro
    Cucumber - Tasty Green
    Eggplant - Black Beauty
    Turnip - Seven Top

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today I received envelopes from:

* Green_go
    * Violetisme
    * Slo_garden

Have not peeked inside the envelopes yet. Just had a quick second to let you know the envelopes are here. May need to reach out to you later if I have any questions. Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today I received seeds from:

* azzure08
    * botanicat
    * jaynine
    * john11840
    * onesteward
    * peppermeister
    * phpete
    * pond_gardener
    * reach_for_the_sun
    * scorprion_john

Had not yet peeked inside the envelopes. Just had a quick second to let you know your envelopes arrived. May need to connect with you a bit later if I have any questions.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

* sweet_marie
    * theloud
    * tinley244

Have not yet peeked inside the envelopes. Just had a quick second to let you know your envelopes arrived. May need to connect with you a bit later if I have any questions.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I need your help finding the owner of a mystery envelope I received today. The member name was not written on the note inside (as per instructions), so I have no way of knowing who these belong to.

I have 18 people with the same first initial participating in this swap.

If your initials are G.M. and you live in Hillsboro, MO, can you please contact me as quickly as possible.

Thank you

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Found my mystery person. Thanks again

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today I received seeds from "fanatic79". Thanks...Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

* bbjm
    * cziga
    * happygardener23
    * jonboy999
    * mrdoitall
    * rgvnewf

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There are a few members in this forum, who signed up for the swap and have still not answered any followup emails/messages from me which requested an update. It is a massive task to keep track of everyone in this swap, and I didn't think I was asking too much to let me know if you've changed your minds and no longer want to participate - or to take a quick second to let me know your seeds are in the mail.
    I will not mention any names, but this is to notify those individuals, that I have no choice but to assume you are no longer in this swap. If your envelope arrives without any communication from you, it will be sent back "return to sender". I just wish you could have taken a second to send me a message....it would have saved me a great deal of time with followup. IF YOU HAVEN'T MAILED YOUR SEEDS, IT'S TOO LATE NOW...DON'T SEND THEM.

Thanks to everyone who took a moment to keep me up to date by posting or sending an email. Your communication makes this job of coordinating the swap, so much smoother. Thanks again.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok folks,
    Time for another bonus offer. This is only for participants of this exchange. Email me (or post here), a list of seeds you are interested in, in order of priority. First come first serve. What you get will be a surprise to you when you get your envelope in the mail. I am also carrying forward a couple of seeds from the prior offer. Some of these are very limited quantities so you need to be quick.

I will only be able to update the list of what's available every day or so, so I am not guaranteeing anything is still available by the time you contact me, so please be sure to give me a list of number if items you're interested in, so I can work my way through.

Here goes......

Miscellaneous Veggies/Herbs/Flower

Anise Hyssop "Golden Jubilee" (agastache foeniculum)
    Aunt Molly's Ground Cherry
    Basil � Blue Spice
    Basil � Fino Verde
    Beans � Kentucky Wonder
    Borecole Black Tuscany
    Celeriac Giant Prague
    Chervil (anthriscus cerefolium)
    Cilantro
    Corn Salad (valerianella locusta)
    Cucumber Tasty Green
    Edamame � Midori Giant (70 days, extra early)
    Eggplant Black Beauty
    Eggplant Ping Tung
    Gai Choy Small (Leaf Mustard)
    Iris Setosa � Baby Blue
    Kohlrabi � Supersmeltz
    Marigold Yellow Taishan
    Peas � Sugar Snap Dwarf Grey
    Radish Daikon Minowase
    Sunflowers - unknown variety
    Tomatillo Purple (physalis ixocarpa)
    Tree Aloe (aloe arborescens)
    Tree Angelica (Aralia Elata)
    Turnip Manchester Market

Thanks...Heather

P.S. If you email me, I will confirm back to you within 24 hours so you know I got it. If you don't hear from me, I didn't get your email.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Have received an overwhelming response on this one. have noted everyones preferences that posted here. If I received your email, I have also sent an acknowledgement.
    Here's an updated list of what's still available:

Miscellaneous Veggies/Herbs/Flower

Beans � Kentucky Wonder
    Celeriac Giant Prague
    Cucumber Tasty Green
    Eggplant Black Beauty
    Kohlrabi - Supersmeltz
    Turnip Manchester Market

Thanks...Heather

P.S. If you email me, I will confirm back to you within 24 hours so you know I got it. If you don't hear from me, I didn't get your email.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Updated Bonus List....here's what's remaining.

Celeriac Giant Prague
    Eggplant Black Beauty
    Kohlrabi - Supersmeltz
    Turnip Manchester Market

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

* detroitgirl77
    * mike3
    * naturemitch
    * newine
    * poisondartfrog

Thanks...Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Celeriac Giant Prague
    Eggplant Black Beauty
    Turnip Manchester Market

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eggplant Black Beauty
    Turnip Manchester Market

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today I received seeds from "emcd124".

Thanks...Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

* coolbythecoast
    * dmforcier
    * misterpatrick

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yesterday (Nov 7th) I also received seeds from "redthreaddiy".

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi folks,

Last chance to add to your wish list. If there any other specific varieties you want me to add to your list, please let me know no later than Nov 11th.

Specifically requested varieties are filled first. So if you are hoping for a specific variety, but you only gave me general guidelines of types you're looking for, you might miss out. Don't be shy....it's easy enough for me to add to your wish list.

If I receive all of the envelopes before the deadline, I'm going to start stuffing envelopes at that point...so I need you to get your wish lists in asap please.

Thanks....Heather

P.S. If you don't have a wish list, but do keep track of what you have already, feel free to email me your "have" list for me to cross reference.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today I received seeds from "foodiefish".

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update.....I'm still waiting on a few envelopes (not many) and will start stuffing them as soon as they are all in.

It will likely take me a couple of weeks to sort through all the wish lists, have lists and don't want lists and cross reference to the seeds. I work full time, so can only do this for a couple of hours every night.

A friendly reminder that I will be out of town on business Nov 19-21 and I will be unable to reply to email or sort seeds during that time.

I've had a few emails asking me if I would be mailing all the envelopes on November 15th. Unfortunately no, I can't even begin to sort until all the envelopes are in....so the process just gets started at that point. All the envelopes are part of one big pool.

Thanks for your patience. I know everyone is anxious.

.....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update.....I'm still waiting on a few envelopes (not many) and will start stuffing them as soon as they are all in.

It will likely take me a couple of weeks to sort through all the wish lists, have lists and don't want lists and cross reference to the seeds. I work full time, so can only do this for a couple of hours every night.

A friendly reminder that I will be out of town on business Nov 19-21 and I will be unable to reply to email or sort seeds during that time.

I've had a few emails asking me if I would be mailing all the envelopes on November 15th. Unfortunately no, I can't even begin to sort until all the envelopes are in....so the process just gets started at that point. All the envelopes are part of one big pool.

Thanks for your patience. I know everyone is anxious.

.....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have one last bonus offer to put forward. I'm going to handle this one differently from the prior two offers. This bonus offer will be left open until midnight November 16th (mountain standard time).

Everyone is welcome to reply with a list of seeds they hope for in order of priority. I will be giving priority to individuals that have the least amount of seed packets already set aside for them from prior offers, and on a first come first serve basis to those individuals. In many cases, these would be individuals that were late to respond, but not necessarily.

I am not going to be telling people how many packets they already have allocated...you will find out by surprise when you get your envelopes back. I will apply these parameters from behind the scenes so please don't ask me to give you updates. I just don't have time for that.

After the deadline, seeds will just be allocated on a first come first serve basis period. You never know who's going to respond or what people want, so if you see something you like, just email me your wish list. You may or may not get something, but it is worth putting your name forward.

Once again....you need to be fast. Here's the list of seeds available (some in very limited quantities).

Beck's Snapping Okra
    Calabrese Trixie F1 Hybrid
    Cape Gooseberry
    Cowpea Pretzel - needs a warm climate
    Eggplant Goyo Kumba
    Eggplant Slim Jim
    Eggplant Snowy
    Orange Cosmos
    Sprouting Broccoli
    Sprouting Radish
    Tomatillo Green
    Watermelon Early Canada

Thanks.....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,

A quick update.....I am still waiting for one envelope to arrive (it was mailed on time), but have been diligently working my way through wish lists where possible. Still have lots of work to do.

When I am ready to start mailing envelopes back, it will be gradual and I will post here to keep you updated on what envelopes have been mailed back.

So please keep checking the forum periodically for updates.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Nov 17), I mailed seeds back to:

* azzure08
    * BriAnDaren
    * Mike3

PLEASE let me know when your envelopes arrive so I can track and update my records.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm just heading to the airport. Off to Toronto on business. From this point forward, I won't be replying to email until I return on Nov 22nd.

Will get back to the seed sorting when I return.

Thanks.....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today I received seeds from Rick_in_va. Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today I mailed seeds back to:

* Aenelson

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Nov 24), I mailed seeds back to:

* bdgardener
    * karen58

PLEASE let me know when your seeds arrive, so I can update my records. Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Nov 25) I mailed seeds back to:

* emcd124
    * newine
    * violetisme

PLEASE let me know when your seeds arrive so I can update my records. Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Nov 26) I mailed seeds to "Happygardener23".

PLEASE let me know when your seeds arrive so I can update my records.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Nov 28) I mailed seeds to:

* delltraveler
    * jillybeantx
    * robinb

PLEASE let me know when your seeds arrive so I can update my records. Thanks....Heather

• bdgardener
    11 years ago

Got the seeds Heather, Thanks again, great stuff, you're the best. Cheryl

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Dec 2nd) I mailed seeds to:

* green_go
    * dhemmer

I should be getting the rest of the envelopes in the mail over the next few days.

PLEASE let me know when your envelopes arrive so I can update my records.

Thanks....Heather

P.S. A friendly reminder...there are people from a few different forums and some that don't belong to any forums that are part of this swap. Envelopes being mailed from this forum are not an indication of how many envelopes are being mailed out.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Dec 4th) I mailed seeds to:

* bbjm
    * botanicat
    * dmforcier
    * northern_hab
    * peppermeister1

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Dec 6th) I mailed seeds to:

* churnoble
    * cziga

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Dec 7th) I mailed seeds to:

* detroitgirl77
    * gardendrivenlife
    * maple_grove
    * rustacator

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Dec 8th) I mailed seeds to:

* mrdoitall
    * onesteward
    * reach_for_the_sun
    * rgvnewf
    * wildmantrav

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Dec 9th) I mailed seeds to:

* john11840
    * rick_in_va
    * sweet_marie

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Dec 10th), I mailed seeds to:

* coolbythecoast
    * jonboy999
    * slo_garden

PLEASE let me know when you receive your envelopes so I can update my records. Thanks.....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Dec 11th) I mailed seeds to:

* crystalline_ca
    * kristel
    * redthreaddiy

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Dec 12th) I mailed seeds to:

* dirtdaddy
    * pondgardener

PLEASE let me know when your seeds arrive so I can update my records. Thanks.....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Dec 13th) I mailed seeds to:

* bigdan1
    * flytyer
    * poisondartfrog
    * sandysgardens

PLEASE let me know when your seeds arrive so I can update my records. Thanks...Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cziga - can you please contact me. Have tried to reach you by email but am posting here in case you didn't get the email. Your envelope was returned to me with a postal sticker saying "moved/unknown". I used the mailing label you provided.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today (Dec 15th) I mailed seeds to:

* fanatic79
    * foodiefish
    * habjolokia
    * jaynine
    * lorabell
    * misterpatrick
    * naturemitch
    * penguinsrock09
    * phpete
    * scorpionjohn
    * theloud
    * tinley244

PLEASE let me know when your envelopes arrive so I can update my records.

That's the last of the envelopes from this forum. Have a very Merry Christmas everyone.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the updates everyone. Have a very Merry Christmas.

CZiga...thanks for emailing me with the correct address. Your envelope was remailed today.

Sponsored
More Discussions