Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckynes13

WANTED: Squash seeds

luckynes13
13 years ago

Looking for both winter and summer.

I have spaghetti squash seeds and giant pumpkins seeds to trade.

Comments (6)

• flower_gal_2010
    13 years ago

If you like I have Delicata Winter and Crookneck seeds to offer you if you email me back.This is for Postage only.

• luckynes13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That would be great. thank you!

• chatty_cathy
    13 years ago

I will have squash seeds before next spring, but my squash are still in the garden right now. I won't be harvesting seeds until I am about to cook them. I would be interested in Spaghetti Squash seeds.

You can email me if you are interested in any of the following:
    Butternut, pumpkin, Sunshine (buttercup). The butternut I'm sure was from a supermarket squash, but I have at least 3 or 4 large squash out there. The pumpkins are large but not "giant". I have at least 2 out there now that are about 18" diameter. The Sunshine originally came from Stokes and this is their description --
    306J Sunshine (Squash/buttercup) 95 days. Vibrant orange skin, 3-4 lb/1-2 kg fruit are flat/globe shaped and "cupless". Some of these are not coming true (they are supposed to look like mini pumpkins but some are green streaked).

/Cathy

• luckynes13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Cathy, I had a good spaghetti squash harvest so I will have plenty of seed to share.I would like some butternut and some sunshine(buttercup) squash please. I have found 5 good size pumpkins in the garden I will be fine for pumpkin seeds,

• chatty_cathy
    13 years ago

I have had second thoughts about this and googled squash cross-pollination. This is what I saw -
    Q. Can seed be saved from this year's squash crop for planting in next year's garden?
    A. Yes, but this is not a recommended practice. Because squash has male and female blooms and need bees for pollination, seed saved from this year's crop probably will not breed true when planted next year. This is especially true if you are growing more than one type of squash. If you are only growing one type of squash and there are no other types of squash in the area then seed can be saved with a fairly high degree of genetic purity. If you are growing hybrid squash, such as the variety Dixie, do not save seeds as they will not breed true.

I'll send some of the seeds I have but I admit that there were several varieties all together in the same patch and without any thought to cross-pollination. /Cathy

• sheryl_ontario
    13 years ago

I save a lot of squash seed and it does cross pollinate. I only save seed from the maximas, as even the mixes are dense, sweet and perfectly good. I hand pollinate them which helps prevent crosses, but not 100% of the time.

Squash of the same type will cross pollinate with others from the same family. There are four most common families: 1)pepo (acorn, large pumpkin, zucchini, spaghetti), 2)maxima (hubbard, buttercup, turban and lots more), 3)moschata (butternut, sweet potato squash), 4)mixta (cushaw). They will cross pollinate within the same family but will not cross pollinte with a squash/pumpkin from another family.

Generally 50 meters is recommended between them to prevent cross pollination. So if your neighbor grows zucchini, it will cross with your spaghetti squash.

I have a lot of seed from c. Maxima squash, mostly hubbard and ambercup. Some will be crosses between the two, which are excellent! If you'd like some, I'll be happy to send it to you, but for an SASBE, not a trade. I really don't need anymore seed! :-)

Sponsored
More Discussions