Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickyn1

WANTED: 4th Annual Canadian Autumn Seed Swap

Nicky
9 years ago

Hiya gang!

I can't believe that this is the 4th year of this swap already (: This swap is for any kind of seed. Vegetable, herb, flower, fruit.... All Canadians are welcome! Don't be shy! If it is your 1st swap, feel free to ask any questions.

4TH ANNUAL CANADIAN AUTUMN SEED SWAP GUIDELINES
(Partially paraphrased from Heather MacDonald's annual pepper/tomato swap guidelines with her permission)

I will send my address privately when you either post in this thread or send me an email. Here are the guidelines:

This is my business address & the postman brings the mail straight to me! Seeds are due in on November 17th, so please put your seeds in the mail on or before November 7th to ensure that they reach me on time. Of course, you are welcome to send your envelope earlier.
1. You can send in up to 40 seed packs. If you are sending in extra seeds as a bonus please mark them clearly as a bonus. If you send in 40 packages, you will get 40 packages back. If you send in 5 packages you will get 5 back. Bonuses will be divided between everyone, so you will end up with more than you send in. Occasionally I split seed packs in order to fill difficult wish lists.
You can send in up to 2 packs of the same variety. If you send in more than 2 packs of the same variety I will contact you. I can either use the seeds as bonus or send them back to you in your return envelope.
2. This swap is for NAMED VARIETIES of any open pollinated seed only. Please mark the seed package with the type of seed (annual or perennial flower, herb, vegetable, etc.) & the cultivar name. If you know, mark whether they are heirloom or OP, or hybrid. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well. Basically put as much info as you can on the packet. If there is anything that are unsure of, just ask! Do not include mixes or mystery seeds or unnamed (eg: Purple Cosmos or Orange Cherry Tomato or mixed Marigold) unless they are clearly marked as bonus seed. It isn`t fair to send mystery seed to people who followed the instructions & sent in named varieties. Unknown varieties will be sent back to you, unless marked as bonuses.
If you are sending in hybrid seed to exchange, only F1 seed from a commercial source is acceptable. Please mark the source on the package. Do not send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant. They will not grow true to the original parent plant. If you are unsure if the seed you have collected is from a hybrid, please research online before mailing in your seeds or send me a message and I will try to find out.
Seed does not need to be collected from bagged or separated varieties accidental crosses occasionally happen. When you grow out the seeds that you receive please try not to be upset if an occasional plant isn`t true. Sometimes crosses are better than the original... That being said, please don`t send in seed that you know is crossed & will not grow true.
3. Please include a list of the seeds that you are sending in. Also include a wish list or preferences and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees. The returned seeds will be completely dependent on what is sent in. The easiest wishlists to fill include some specifics, but also some general wishes. Don�t be shy. It is easier, if your wishlist has 1000 things on it! (: If you wish to email your wishlist earlier, please feel free. Having your list early makes it easier for me to fill more of your wishes. If you have something on your wishlist & get it from another source, or find something that you wish to add to your list at any time before I send back your envelope, just let me know.
4. Please mail your seeds inside of a bubble envelope with your return address label inside. It is important that you send a regular bubble envelope & not the heavy cardboard insulated type to keep within the weight restriction. Please send $2.95 return postage. If your package uses less postage I will send you back the difference. Please do not assume that your postage will be the same as your package that you send in. There may be lots of bonus seeds or heavy seeds that will make a difference. I will reuse your original bubble envelope to send your surprise seeds back to you. If you go to Canada Post to mail your envelope & they try to charge you more, be sure to tell them that is non-standard lettermail.
The weight category is:
$2.95. 100-200 grams
"https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/send/postagestamps.jsf";
This has been the correct weight category for almost every package that I have sent out in previous years.
5. Please include both your real name (for mailing) and your screen name & email, so I know who has sent in their seeds!
WHAT TO SEND:
Inside your bubble wrap envelope you should have;
1. Whatever seed you are contributing to the swap
2. A list of whatever seed you have put in your envelope
3. Stamps totaling $2.95 (you will need another $2.95 in stamps to send your seeds to me)
4. An address label with your address on it.
5. A wish list or list of preferences or do not want list (:
6. Include your name & Screen name along with an email address.
Remember, you can send in your wish list as soon as it is ready, making it easier to fill. You can also change your wish list after you have sent it. Just let me know of any additions or changes.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. Happy trading !!!!
Nicky

This post was edited by glynis3 on Tue, Sep 30, 14 at 13:31

Comments (47)

• shechar
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great, looking forward to it!

If anyone is looking for rare & exotic hot pepper seeds, I will be sending in lots!

• greatlord
    9 years ago

Count me in!

• xaroline
    9 years ago

I would like to join in the swap.
    Caroline

• luckynes13
    9 years ago

I am in, I love this swap. Happy you are back.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Count me in Nicky. I will send an email also.
    Rick

• Rajam
    9 years ago

Count me in Nicky

Rajam

• signet_gw(6b)
    9 years ago

Would love to participate in this please. Will wait to hear back

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    9 years ago

I do have a question about hybrid seeds. I have lots of daylily seeds I can offer. However they are all hybrids, that is the point about hybridizing them .... to get something different from the parent plant .... something better is the hope. Are these allowed or no ?

Thanks
    Signet

• organic_veggies
    9 years ago

I would be interested in this however don't seem to have any seeds right now. Is there enough time for me order some new seeds and still get them to you?

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Signet,

I think that most flower lovers would be happy with the hybridizing day lily seeds, same goes for hosta seed. They rarely breed true. Just put any info that you have on the package & I will find them a home ;)

I will send along the address & guidelines this morning.

Thanks to everyone for joining up so quickly! We have 25 gardeners in 3 days! A pretty good start (:

Organic_veggies - I would think that there is plenty of time to order seeds. There are about 5 weeks until the final mail in day. Lots of places ship out immediately. I order from Remy at Sample Seeds in NY state. She mails them back out within a day or so & my package gets to me in 1-2 weeks. There are some really good seed companies in Canada as well.... Tatiana's , Heritage Harvest, etc. If you would like to join up please set up your account to receive emails (on your member page). Thanks!

Cheers,
    Nicky (glynis3)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicky's Garden

This post was edited by glynis3 on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 11:10

• sorellina
    9 years ago

Cheers, Nicky. Of course I want to play. I'd been wondering if you were going to host again with your busy schedule. This weekend's forecast is kind of well, not ideal for yard work, so I should have some time to sort through my seeds.

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still busy kitchen reno-ing. Russ did the lighting last weekend. The trim and ceiling are next weekend!

I have plenty of time to do the swap at work .... Shhhh don't tell the boss! I suppose its a little hard to hide, since the swap takes over an entire office with 3 8foot desks!

Glad that you are joining up! How's the harvest?

• greylady_gardener
    9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, Nicky!

• organic_veggies
    9 years ago

I just put an order in for some vegetable seeds. I got 3 trade packs (3 packs in 1) so I'll take out the extra's and mail them in when I get them and the info. Hopefully I can figure out how to save some seed from 2 different heirloom tomatoes I currently have growing as well.

I just changed that email setting change requested.

I guess it's just sit and wait now!

• rosco_p
    9 years ago

Hi Nicky: I am looking forward to being part of the swap...and great looking kitchen by the way. Ross

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hiya Ross! Glad to have you join again this year :)

Thanks for the kitchen compliment. It is a huge difference with all of the walls down and the old dark brown cabinets replaced. I am lucky to have an incredibly handy husband!

I will send along the guidelines with address. Hope all is well with you!

• Sabrina-Reddy
    9 years ago

I am a NEWBIE and would love to take part! What is the address to send my seeds too?

TY

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Sabrina,

Just set your account (on your member page) to receive emails and I will send along the address.

I have already received the 1st package!

• gro2can
    9 years ago

can i send seeds in to trade. tnx aki

• greatlord
    9 years ago

Would anyone be interested in getting smoking tobacco seeds. I quit smoking last year and I have lot of seeds.

• wildflwer_2
    9 years ago

I would like to participate to the seed swap, please send me the address where I can send the seeds.
    Wildflower_2

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been getting a few questions about seed amounts.

I usually go by what another Canadian gardener, Sorellina, posted a few years ago:

Tiny Seeds (basil, hyssop, poppies): 1/8 tsp
    Small Flower Seeds (calendula, bachelor button): 1/4 tsp
    Small Vegetable Seeds (tomato, pepper, eggplant): 10 seeds
    Large Flower Seeds (4 O'Clock, Nasturtium, Thunbergia): 5-10 seeds
    Large Vegetable Seeds (Beans, Corn): 25 seeds

I think that this list works well, although many swaps that I have been in I have gotten 10-15 bean or corn seeds. It seems to depend a lot on the size (some are very heavy). I think that it also makes a difference if a plant is rare, most people are happy to have even a tiny amount to try. If they like it they can always save seeds for the following year. Once in a while, I split a package to fill particularly difficult wish lists, so each person gets a smaller amount of the seed that they really want instead of a larger amount of seed that they won't grow. Some people send in huge packages of seed. I usually split those up and share them around the group.

In the end - it's up to you. If you give an amount that you would be happy to receive, you are all good.

• sorellina
    9 years ago

How's the harvest? Crazy, that's what! Between the weather that can't decide what it wants to be when it grows up and the realization that I don't have the energy I did 10 years ago, it's a real battle to get everything done.

Canadian Thanksgiving happens far too early for my gardening schedule, but it does offer a nice 3-day weekend during apple/pumpkin season, so Duane and I picked a half bushel of Crispin apples and made a case of 500ml jars of applesauce this weekend and got a big Musquee de Province pumpkin for seed-saving and pressure canning.

I just finished washing 6 cups of various tomato seeds and have 7 more to do today. There are about 15 more varieties to do before I'm all done with the tomatoes and still lots of ripe and over-ripe fruit to make into something.

I've still got lots of seed to harvest in between storms. I was hoping to get out there this morning, but no way, not the day after Thanksgiving. Laundry and seed-washing happened instead. I also got my entries done for the Royal Fair. I'm entering in my Rainbow Broom Corn as a giant vegetable and Artistic Display of Vegetables will be my usual assortment of ornamental corn and gourds. I missed out on the canning deadline, but that's ok. We didn't go to the fair last year, so I'm really chomping at the bit and excited about it this year.

Duane's growing Chocolate Ghost Peppers this year just like Remy, but his have not ripened yet due to a combination of a cold, wet season and small transplants to start with. Hopefully, next season will be much better all the way around.

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will look out for your stuff at the Royal thus year. We missed it last year too. I'll look for you by the cows ;)

We had a VERY hard frost that killed everything a few weeks ago. Too bad, because the weather hasn't been so bad. I just finished bringing in the potatoes this week... Onto the carrots & planting garlic.

Grew my 1st artichokes successfully, ditto rutabaga! Fun stuff!

A quick note to swappers....

Gary / Tormato is hosting the Mostly Mystery Mater Mailing swap again this year. He can't post in the Canadian forum, so check it out on other sites or the US swaps on GW. He welcomes Canadians too.

Have a good weekend & get those wishlists to me soon! I need to make a couple of orders to fill them!

• cdnfruit
    9 years ago

Interested in joining in the swap, where do I send the seeds. Thanks

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still a couple of weeks left to join up & mail your package!

We have 40 gardeners signed up so far. 10 of the packages have already arrived.

I will be placing a couple of seed orders to fill some wishlists in the next week. Send in your wishlist, so that I know what you want!

Cheers
    Nicky

• sorellina
    9 years ago

Ciao Nicky-

My entries have been dropped off at the Royal Fair, my seeds have been listed at SSE, all tomatoes, eggplants, and basils have been pulled, most of Duane's peppers have been harvested, so THAT means this weekend I can devote most of Saturday to working on my wish list for this, Gary's tomato swap, WLOMWL, and the Hog Wild Swap. I've got seeds in one form or another all over the house. It's crazy.

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a quick reminder...

Seeds are due to be mailed today. If your package makes it into the mail by Monday, I won't notice ;)

If you haven't sent anything in yet, please send me a message to let me know when it is going out.

Cheers,
    Nicky

• sorellina
    9 years ago

Argh, I had down on the calendar that the deadline was Nov. 17 not Nov. 7. My wish list is as complete as it's going to be this year. I essentially deleted things from it that I received last year and added a bunch of peppers for Duane. I've not had much time at all to research things. I'll be working on swaps most of tomorrow.

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:)

No worries. I think a lot of packages are a bit behind this year. Hope your weekend was fun & you got everything finished up!

I STILL have to tear down my watering hoses & bring them in. Tonight.... Or tomorrow! Too cold to fiddle with taps!

• sorellina
    9 years ago

Ciao Nicky-

Ok, I got Gary's monster swap in the mail this morning, so I've got the seeds together that I'm sending you and will follow with an email shortly with the particulars. I missed the 2:30pm pick-up, but should easily make the 5pm.

Duane and I are going to the Royal Fair again on Sunday all day and then coming back after dinner to pick up our stuff if you and Russ have time to meet us. My "giant" Broom Corn (sorghum) is getting judged tomorrow. My ornamental display of vegetables got 4th place.

Cheers,
    Julianna

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Darn - didn't see your post. Missed the royal completely. Bah! Too busy around here lately.

I hope that you had a great time.

• sorellina
    9 years ago

We did!! I've been insanely busy also. This has been an absolutely ridiculous season, just putting out one fire after another. Only now am I starting to slow down a "bit". I have one of those octopus clothes drying rack things from IKEA and it's full of tarragon, oregano, and lunaria. Finally, I have time to package up those herbs and thresh the lunaria so I can use the thing for my winter socks again!!

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good news! The packages went out in the mail last night (Dec 4th) at 8 pm! It's getting closer to Christmas, so it may take a few extra days to get home, but you should start to see them next week!

If you could take a second & let me know that they arrived, I would appreciate it.

The seeds sent in this year were great, once again! We had a few less gardeners join up this year due to a lot of last minute cancellations. I think that the weather in the summer hampered a lot of the usual seed saving. There were about 1700 seed packages sent in, over 400 packages of tomato seeds (200+ varieties). One kind person sent in more onion seed packages than we have swappers, so a few onion lovers got doubles! The swap was about 80% veg/herb and 20%flower seeds this year.

Thank you all for joining in. It is a pretty easy swap to run, with all of the beautifully organised packages that everyone sends in ;). Hope you all enjoy this years seeds!

• luckynes13
    9 years ago

Thank you Nicki!

I have been browsing the seed catalogues. Dreaming. Getting my order from SeedSavers ready. Richters too, if they send a catalogue.
    Can't wait for the seeds. Planning some winter sowing.
    Next year, if they survive, my perennial pollinator seeds will hopefully produce seeds to share.
    Thanks, again.

• Rajam
    9 years ago

My package has arrived! Thanks Nicky

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

Got mine already!
    So many great seeds from my "wanted" list and so many extra bonuses! Now I have something to do: sorting, researching, planning, dreaming....
    Thank you very much Nicky - great job as always!

• luckynes13
    9 years ago

Thanks Nicki,
    Found my in the mailbox yesterday. We had great fun checking them out. Put in my seed savers order today. Maybe I will have even more wonderful seeds to share next year. Got to check something's off the list, when I got the trade seeds. Thank you for doing this trade.

• organic_veggies
    9 years ago

Got my seeds. Thank you to all who helped me out with this abundance of seeds! I never imagined so much in return!! Thank you thank you thank you!

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like the mail has made it to Alberta.... On to BC next!

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to save and send in seeds. All of the unusual varieties make this swap special.

• xaroline
    9 years ago

I am delighted with the seeds which I received.
    I can hardly wait to start them.
    Thank you to every one who participated!
    And special thanks to glynis for organizing the seed swap.
    Caroline

• sorellina
    9 years ago

Thanks so very much, Nicky! I decided to be surprised on Christmas and put the parcel under the tree. The cats know it's seeds in there and have been sniffing it and nudging it around. It doesn't have to be catnip in there. These monsters have grown up with my gardening and love different seeds as much as I do. I have to be extremely careful to cull out any poisonous ones before they can get into them.

Merry Christmas everyone! =^.^=

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Thank you Nicky for all of your time spent and the herendous amount of organizing it must take to separate all of the seeds. My hat is off to you.

I also want to thank everyone for their contribution of seeds which make the possibilities of some truly specials additions to our garden this coming year.

Please everyone have a Very Merry Christmas and celebrate with family, friends and loved ones.
    All the best in the New Year. Keep growing.

Rick

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a quick Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to everyone!

There are 5 people that I haven't heard from yet. I will chase them down in the new year & make sure that their packages arrived safe and sound.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who participated this year.!

Cheers,
    Nicky

• balljoint
    9 years ago

What about tree seeds? Would there be interest in seeds from something a little different, like a Kentucky Coffee tree?

• Nicky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, there are always a few tree seeds. The odder, the better!

• balljoint
    9 years ago

Very well, I will watch for the next exchange.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions