Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: 2nd Annual Canadian Autumn Seed Swap

Posted by glynis3 none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 13:02

2ND ANNUAL CANADIAN AUTUMN SEED SWAP

(this is partially paraphrased from Heather MacDonald's annual pepper/tomato swap guidelines with her permission)
GUIDELINES FOR THE SWAP:
Let me know in this thread that you would like to participate & I will message my address to you. It is my business address & the postman brings the mail straight to me. This eliminates any problems with seeds sitting outside in a cold mailbox! If you don't get a private message from me in a day or two, let me know. I will try to check the thread daily. Seeds are due in on November 23rd, so please put your seeds in the mail on or before November 12th to ensure that it reaches me on time. Of course, you can send your envelope earlier.
1. You can send in up to 40 seed packs. If you are sending in extra seeds as a bonus please mark them clearly as a bonus. If you send in 40 packages, you will get 40 packages back. If you send in 5 packages you will get 5 back. Bonuses will be divided between everyone, so you should end up with more than you send in.
2. You can send NAMED VARIETIES of any open pollinated seed. Please mark the seed package with the type of seed (annual or perennial flower, herb, vegetable, etc.) & the cultivar name. If you know mark whether they are heirloom or OP, or hybrid. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well. Basically put as much info as you can on the packet. If there is anything that are unsure of, just ask! Do not include mixes or mystery seeds unless they are clearly marked as bonus seed. It isn`t fair to send mystery seed to people who followed the instructions & sent in named varieties. Unknown varieties will be sent back to you, unless marked as bonuses.
If you are sending in hybrid seed to exchange, only F1 seed from a commercial source is acceptable. Please mark the source on the package. Do not send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant. They will not grow true to the original parent plant. If you are unsure if the seed you have collected is from a hybrid, please research online before mailing in your seeds or send me a message and I will try to find out.
Seed doesn`t need to be collected from bagged or separated varieties accidental crosses occasionally happen. When you grow out the seeds that you recieve please try not to be upset if an occasional plant isn`t true. Sometimes crosses are better than the original. That being said, please don`t send in seed that you know is crossed & will not grow true.
3. Please include a list of the seeds that you are sending in. Also include a wish list or preferences and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me that as well. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees of course. The returned seeds will be completely dependent on what is sent in. The easiest wishlists to fill include some specifics, but also some general wishes. Don't be shy. It is easier, if your wishlist has 100 things on it! (: If you wish to email your wishlist earlier, please feel free. If you have something on your wishlist & get it from another source, or find something that you wish to add to your list, just let me know.
4. You will need to mail your seeds inside of a bubble envelope with your return address label inside. It is important that you send a regular bubble envelope & not the heavy cardboard insulated type to keep within the weight restriction. Please send $2.10 return postage. I will reuse your original bubble envelope to send your surprise seeds back to you. If you go to Canada Post to mail your envelope & they try to charge you more, be sure to tell them that is non-standard lettermail.
The weight categories are:
$1.29 up to 100 grams
$2.10 100-200 grams
$2.95 200-300 grams
"http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/send/lettersdocuments.jsf#Rates"
5. Please include both your real name (for mailing) and your screen name so I know who has sent in their seeds!
WHAT TO SEND:
Inside your bubble wrap envelope you should have;
1. Whatever seed you are contributing to the swap
2. A list of whatever seed you have put in your envelope
3. Stamps totalling $2.33 (you will need another $2.33 in stamps to send your seeds to me)
4. An address label with your address on it.
5. A wish list or list of preferences or do not want list (:
6. Include your name & gardenweb name!
If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. Happy trading !!!!
Just one more note for GardenWeb users: Could you please set up your email address on your GardenWeb profile page so I can contact you. I will email you privately with my mailing address & swap guidelines. Occasionally posts seem to go missing on the forums - if you don't hear from me within a couple of days, send me a message or post again.
Nicky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: 2nd Annual Canadian Autumn Seed Swap

Sorry gang - typo already! Under the "What to Send" heading at the bottom - your stamps are not $2.33 - they are $2.10. Cheaper! Yay!

WHAT TO SEND:
Inside your bubble wrap envelope you should have;
1. Whatever seed you are contributing to the swap
2. A list of whatever seed you have put in your envelope
3. Stamps totalling $2.10 (you will need another $2.10 in stamps to send your seeds to me)
4. An address label with your address on it.
5. A wish list or list of preferences or do not want list (:
6. Include your name & gardenweb name!

thanks
Nicky

o

I was hoping this swap would happen, thank you Nicky!

o

No problem, I was hoping that you would participate! Your seeds last year were really interesting. I bet your garden is spectacular! Sending the info to your mailbox (:

o

Hi Nicky,

So I have a little friendly competition do I? :)..LOL
Just popping in to wish you the best of luck in your swap. If I had more time, I'd sign up, but have my hands full just now:)

I'll be sorting through my seed stash over the next few weeks, and should be able to send in some bonuses for your swap? (flower seeds I have extras of) Send me a pm with your address if interested.

Thanks...Heather

o

Thanks Heather! The flower seeds sound great. I'm sure everyone will appreciate them! I'm sending in my package in the next week or so to your swap - just waiting on the superhot peppers to dry!

No competition, your swap's tomato & pepper selection is absolutely amazing! "The Queen of the Canadian Swaps" title is all yours! LOL! I can't wait to see what is in my Tomato/Pepper package this year! This swap just fills in a bit of the rest of the garden (:

Cheers,
Nicky

o

LOL..you're too funny. When you have a sec, please send me a quick email with your mailing address for those flower seeds. I'll send them off as soon as I can. Thanks....Heather

o

Hi Nicky
I am in. Will send in my seeds soon.

thanks
Latha

o

Great Latha :) I will let you know when I get them.

I forgot to mention in the guidelines - There is a maximum 2 packages of each variety. Happy seed collecting!

o

• Posted by mari11 z5a Toronto (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 22:42

Hi Nicky,
I'd like to participate. Send me your mailing address please.

Thanks!
Marina

o

Is this swap for flowers or vegetables? I'd like to participate but most of my seed is veggies!

Karin

o

Messages emailed to everyone so far. If you didn't get a private email, just let me know.

Karin:

The swap is for everything. Veggies, herbs, flowers, fruit - whatever you have (:

If you only wish to recieve veggies in your return package, just let me know. No problem. Be as specific or general as you like. There was great variety last year.

o

Yay, I will definitely like to participate then!

o

Great! I have sent you the email with the address.

If everyone could let me know when you mail your package, then I can let you know when it arrives.

If there is anyone feeling shy - don't. This is a great way to double your variety for next year. Ever buy a package of seeds & wonder who on earth plants 250 bean seeds? Well use some & trade the rest away for something else that you have always wanted to try(: If you aren't sure that your seeds are OK to send in, just ask... 99% of the time they are exactly what someone else is looking for! Even if you only have 5 kinds of seed, join in anyway. You will end up with more than 10 packages to plant after the swap (:

o

Hi,

I'd like to participate!

Cheers,

Peggy

o

Me too!!!, sending you a email. It is cold and snowy here today, the perfect day to organize my seeds. Thanks again. Cheryl

o

Snowing... Uggg. Welcome to the swap Cheryl!
By now everyone should have gotten an email with my address. If I somehow missed you, just send me a message or post on the Forum.

We are a little over half way to last year`s total particpants. (: Looks like it will be a great swap!

o

I didn't get a message with your address : (

o

Karin, I have resent the message. If you don't see it by the end of the day, let me know. GW messaging can be VERY slow. It took 7 hours for a message to come through yesterday!

Nicky in dark & rainy Southern Ontario.

o

Got the message this time Nicky, thanks! I will wait to send my seeds for another week or two as I still have a few seeds drying or waiting to be harvested that I want to include!

Karin

o

Sounds great Karin. I have a couple of packages sitting waiting for seeds to dry out before I can mail them... It is so damp in my area so I am giving them some extra time.

Glad the message came through this time (:

o

Hi Nicky,

Like to join the swap thank you.

Shanta

o

Hi:
Love to participate...let me know where, Thanks
Darrylene

o

Goodmorning,

Sent messages to Shanta & Darrylene - welcome back (:

I have gotten a few questions about what is popular & what there is too much of in the swap.

Last year there were only a couple of things that we got too much of: Datura & Rudbeckia (common type).

Greens were very popular last year: Spinach, Lettuce, Kale, chinese greens, chard etc. Other popular requests were: Amaranthus, zucchini, unusual herbs, penstemon, non-purple echinacea, heuchera, tomatoes & coleus.

Luckily most of the popular requests were also popular things to send in :)

If you were planning on sending in Rudbeckia & Datura - do it anyway - there is so much variety, everything works out in the end! Just don't send in any Mixed Morning Glories or Mixed Marigolds. Only named varieties should be sent in for this swap.

If you haven't signed up, there is plenty of time. Gather some seed & come join the fun :)

Nicky

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicky's Garden

o

My sunchokes are flowering, so I may be able to add some sunchoke seeds to the package, if anyone is interested. Big may there.

o

Hi there, if there is still time and room, I would love to join in this. I'm kind of a newbie gardener but I really think this would be fun!

o

I hope that you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend!

Hi Scribblez,
There is definately time, seeds don't have to be in until next month & the more the merrier (: I have sent you an email with the instructions & address.

luckynes13 - you always have the most interesting seeds (: Sunchokes sound great.

o

Recieved bdgardener/Cheryl's package today - the 1st to come in (: Thanks Cheryl, looks great.

There is still plenty of time if there is anyone thinking about joining - just do it! It is fun to swap seeds (:

Cheers,
Nicky (glynis3)

o

Recieved seeds from mari11 this afternoon. Thanks - great package. The flower lovers in the swap will appreciate these varieties!

Have a great weekend everyone (:

o

Hi Nicky,
I'd like to join the swap.

Also, I have a question: is there a limit on the number of seeds pack of the same variety?

Thanks!
Gala.

o

Hi Gala - Yes, there is a limit of 2 packages per variety. Welcome to the swap! I have sent you a private message with my address (:

As of yesterday we have a few more gardeners than last years swap!!!

Cheers,
Nicky

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicky's Garden

o

A package from Scribblez came in the mail today! Thanks for the great variety (:

o

I'd love to join, if this is still open.

o

I would like to join!

o

Sent my address to GreatLord & Charpyper through the GW message system. Let me know if it doesn't get through. Welcome to the swap!

o

I'd love to join too if there is still room for me :)

o

I'd love to join too if there is still room for me :)

o

Welcome pinkflora2000. I have sent you an email with my address & instructions. The more gardeners in the swap, the better the variety of seeds & the better the chance that you will get your wishlist filled (:

Nicky in very dark & rainy Southern Ontario

o

Just sent my package, hope it gets through the storm :)

o

Thanks for letting me know Charpyper. I will post a message when it shows up. The storm hasn't been too bad in my area. There are a few trees down & it is very windy. Seems to have missed us though (: I hope that everyone is having the same luck.
Cheers
Nicky

Here is a link that might be useful: nicky's garden

o

I would like to take part in the swap!

o

Good afternoon Canadian Swappers!

I received your package today Charpyper - great varieties (: Thanks!

If anyone else in interested in joining, you have a week left to pack up your seeds & pop them in the mail! Come join us... it is looking like a great swap again this year.

Nicky

o

Hi there glynis, I would love to participate and have come in late to the discussion, but perhaps just in time I will get my seeds sorted out

o

one more question
How many seeds would I put in a package?
I have 3 seed varieties and have lots of seeds of the first 2.
Perhaps 30 of the 3rd one, is that enough?

o

Welcome jankenb & sherrieseeds (:

As far as #'s of seeds, another Canadian gardener, Sorellina posted the following last year:

Tiny Seeds (basil, hyssop, poppies): 1/8 tsp
Small Flower Seeds (calendula, bachelor button): 1/4 tsp
Small Vegetable Seeds (tomato, pepper, eggplant): 10 seeds
Large Flower Seeds (4 O'Clock, Nasturtium, Thunbergia): 5-10 seeds
Large Vegetable Seeds (Beans, Corn): 25 seeds

These seem like pretty reasonable amounts to me. Basically, I try to send what I would want in return. I hope that this helps. If you have any questions about a specific variety, just message me & I will try to help (:
Cheers!

o

Today Mcpeg's seeds came in the mail. Thanks for all of the bonuses! Canadian gardeners are the best (:

Nicky in lightly snowing S.Ontario

o

Yes, I'd love to participate! Mailing deadline November 12th, right? Sounds like fun!

Frances in overcast southwestern Ontario.

o

I sent mine today, the postage was only 1.29, however I sent along enough stamps for 2.50, since it worried me that it was less than you said. janet in most gorgeous day in a month, BC

o

Welcome LoboGothic. I have sent you a message. If you don't get it just let me know! Yes, the deadline is Novemeber 12th - next Monday!!!

jankenb... I asked for $2.10 in stamps to return the packages because last year most of the return packages weighed more than the 100 grams allowed for the $1.29 postage & I covered the difference. The bonus seeds it really added to the weight of the envelope (: The next weight category is 100 to 200 grams for $2.10. Still cheap compared with buying seeds (:

Cheers,
Nicky

o

Oh yes Nicky, WONDERFULLY cheap, I just wanted to make sure you did not fall short, that is all, after all the work this must be, thank you SO much for doing this.
Feel free to use any extra of my stamps for whatever.....
thanks again
Janet

o

I mailed my seeds last week - they tried to charge me over $12! When I politely asked why it could not go as over sized letter mail she faltered a bit before telling me she didn't even think of that . . .

o

That happens quite often kwilds! Wish that they would give the Postal employees a price list at every outlet (:

I will let you know when the seeds come in.

Janet - Its not exactly work - more fun to sort seeds than do my actual job - which is what I am doing right now!!!

One week left to send your mailers - or join in (:

o

Hi Nicky,
Just put mine in the mail today. I sent an assortment of vegetables herbs, and perennials. Hope it makes it safely.

Nes

o

Thanks luckynes! I'll let you know when it gets here.

Today I received packages from:
Greyladygardener
kwilds
Rajam

thanks everyone - fantastic job on the packages. (:

o

Today I received a package from
Jankenb - thank you!

Monday is the last day to mail your package. Please let me know when you send it in, so I can keep track!

Just a few days left to join in...
By the way, we have over 40 swappers & have a crazy variety of seeds this year. (:

o

Nicky: Thanks for the address e-mail! My package was sent off today.Ross.

o

Excellent! Thanks Ross - hope your red garden bloomed well last year (:

o

Hi everyone,

Just a little update - The envelopes will be ready to mail mid to late next week. There is only 1 that hasn't come in yet... Also waiting on a seed company package that I bought to fill out some wishlists. I have finished sorting, just divvying up the bonuses and adding bits that I have in my own stash.

I will message you all personally & post when I mail them out!
Have a great weekend. (:

o

Hi all!
Good news. Last night I started mailing back packages. The following packages went out in the mail:
mari11
Kwilds
bdgardener
Scribblez
Charpyper
pinkflora2000
jankenb

Please let me know when your package shows up (:
Hope you like them!
Have a good day,
Nicky

o

If this was on Facebook, I would like this.:)

o

I would "like" your post back, Nes!

OK - next round of seeds went out this morning:
turquoisegardenia
GreatLord
shechar
LoboGothic

The rest will most likely go out tomorrow - I will post to confirm!

Have a great day(:

o

The last packages went out in the mail last night.
rosco_p
luckynes13
rajam
sweet_marie
mpeg
green_go

Let me know when the packages get to you! I hope that you all like them (:

I also just wanted to add a little message for anyone checking out this thread...

One of our swappers who has participated both years & sent in fantastic seeds for us all to share, needs some help. Her husband is seriously ill with kidney disease. Please check out the website below and spread the word, encourage donation. Thank you so much for reading (:

Here is a link that might be useful: The Kidney Foundation of Canada

o

Thanks glynis. Can't wait to see whats in the package. Will let you know when I receive it.

Thanks
Rajam

o

Hi there,

Sadly we just joined the forum and missed the window. We would of loved to have been part of this. If there is a signup list please add us to it for next year.
Otherwise we will keep watch for the next one. If you have anything left over we would be happy to pay shipping etc for this year.

Thanks and hope to be an active member.

thanks

RF
Keltic Kreek Farms...

o

Oh Nicky, Oh, Oh, Nicky, just received my package. Yippee!!!
You are awesome, I can't believe the effort and the results you have accomplished. You saved me from ordering from several different seeds companies. Thanks again and I will definitely participate again next year. Now it's time for a glass of wine and a note pad to plan a couple more beds. Cheryl

o

Woohooo! Got my package today! Wow, what an awesome assortment of seeds. I can't wait 'til spring . . . Thanks Nicky for organizing this and thanks to everyone else who contributed to this swap.

Karin

o

I`m glad that you both liked the packages. They were fun to make up (: Thank you both for the wonderful seeds that you sent in.

Keltickreek - I send emails to past participants when I first post the swap. If you would like to me on the list, either enable your message feature on GardenWeb, or send me a message with your email & I will add you to the reminder list (: You may have some luck swapping with people for the next little while. As carefully as I try to choose the right seeds for people, I`m sure that they don`t need or want some of them - always good to trade away (:

o

Just got my package, I'm loving the variety. Can't wait till spring! I'm gonna need a bigger garden... Thank you for doing this Nicky!

This post was edited by charpyper on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 16:58

o

Hi Nicky,
Got my seeds today. Thanks everything is great. Spent a couple hours putting them in my seed binder. Very happy, will do this again next year!

Nes

o

Hi Nicky

Got my package today. Lovely. Definitely next year's garden is going to be colorful. Appreciate your wonderful job.

Thanks Rajam

o

As a newbie just receiving seeds back from my first ever swap...I am completely overwhelmed and so filled with gratitude at the generosity of you all.
Nearly every seed that I had ever dreamed of acquiring arrived in my package, and then some! Tomatoes, beans, cardinal flower, monarda, herbs,cream of sask watermelon, I could go on and on. (because that was one big package of JOY)
Going to be a tough act for the man in the red and white suit to follow on the 25th, my morning on the 7th is off the charts!!!!

Thank you all so much! Nicky wasn't kidding when she told me to start planning a new garden bed, now I will have to!

o

I just recieved my wonderful surprise package last night (I have been away for a week) Nicky thanks SO much for all of this, I was amazed by how many packages I got. I think I am going to have to entrust many of my friends to carrying on the lineage of many of these seeds. BECAUSE I cannot do it myself :) However I am going to make a good solid try. I ALSO am going to need some new beds Thanks Nicky and I look forward to next year already Janet

o

Glad everyone is enjoying their packages! It is a fun swap to be a part of (:

Thank you for letting me know when the seeds arrive - only 4 more packages to make it home!

o

I wonder if we could keep this thread going as we plant our little surprise packages...so we can chat about what we are growing and how it is going. That way everyone can learn about how well certain things grow in certain climates etc
I am sort of new to garden web, so not sure if this would be appropriate
janet

o

That sounds like a really nice idea to me... I would love to know how my saved seeds do in other gardens - and like to know if everything grows true, so I don't trade or give away any more of the seeds if they are crossed (:

o

Hi Janet and Nicky,
I can tell you that I will be wintersowing some of the seeds I ot. The lupins, did very well when they were winter sownsown I will try some more this year. My husband loves lupins.

Nes
I'm an organ donor, are you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here