Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samfawzy10

WANTED: Yvonne's Salvia and other salvia!

samfawzy10
15 years ago

I would love to get different varieties of salvia seeds. I got some Yvonne's Salvia seeds last year but none germinated.

Can anyone spare some seeds for SASE?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

My girlfriend and I also got some of Yvonne's salvia seeds from Yvonne's extremely rude contact person early this spring. We only received about a quarter of the seeds, compared to what others received, along with a very rude letter. I would definitely recommend NOT ordering Yvonne's salvias. A few of the seeds germinated but only grew into small plants.

Sorry, I only grow perennials in my flowerbeds so I can't help you with annual salvia. Do you want some perennial salvia seed?

Brenda

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi, I received 31 seeds of Yvonne's Salvia this spring . I was certain that I would have seeds to share this fall . I was very excited . Unfortunately I dont. Only 3 germinated and now only two survive and are about 5 inches tall after growing all season. I am not sure if Yvonne's salvia is an annual or perennial and cant seem to find any info on this . So I am going to try to bring them in for the winter and replant ( if they survive ) in the spring. Maybe next year I will have some seeds to share .

Brenda I would love some perennial salvia seeds if you have extras . What would you like in trade.

Signet

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

Ladies, I am so sorry that your experience with Yvonne's Salvia has been so unpleasant. This summer, I planned a salvia garden and received seeds of eleven different types of salvia, including Yvonne's, from a very nice gentleman in Ontario. I had only ten seeds of Yvonne's, which I think is a variety of Salvia splendens, and had 100% germiation. Although the plants remained small for a long time, they are now at least 4 feet tall and still in full bloom. They just 'shot up' in August and though the first few blooms were rather puny on the central stalk, they later sent out side shoots from several nodes down the central stalk. All the blooms are now at least 10 inches long, and they are attracting the humming birds, which was my intention. They are growing in a small section of lawn I took over, but they are a worthwhile addition to the garden, providing much needed colour. Perhaps they are just late bloomers this far north. Not all of the salvias were successful, but there are about 4 which had blooms worth seeing, and I hope to collect seeds from them. If I can spare some, I will contact you when my seed collection is done.
    Northerner.

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

I received some seeds from the same gentleman for Yvonne's as well as three or four other varietys. Germ on Yvonne's was good, and I have about ten active plants about 3' tall that are still feeding the hummers who seem reluctant to leave this year. I sent two trade packets on to Origami master (kenny) for this year's swap.
    Hoping to harvest more seeds.
    Will be updating my trade list shortly...why is autumn so busy?
    wendy