Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: ornamental sweet potatoe vine question

Posted by pennymacdonald 4b (penmac@sympatico.ca) on
Mon, Oct 15, 07 at 7:20

I have just pulled all my sweet potatoe vines. ( Blacky & Margarite ) I have a handful of potatoes. Anyone know if you can eat these? I know this isn't the place to ask but I have always gotten great stuff/advise here before. Any advise would be great.
TIA
Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: ornamental sweet potatoe vine question

Hi Penny I found this on the net, Janet

This week's Reiman's Pick, the sweet potato vine, is an ornamental that earned its way out of the vegetable garden. Sweet potato vine, Ipomoea batatas, is a true sweet potato complete with tubers, but has bolder, more colorful foliage than its vegetable sibling. Unfortunately, it is either beauty or bounty with ornamental sweet potatoes because the underground tubers are bitter and not considered edible.

You can try if you're brave!!!!

o

I don't believe they are edible, as they are in the ipomea family like the morning glory

o

Thank you all for the information. Now can you save them and grow them next year. LOL Just had to ask.
Penny

o

What you can do with those potato tubers is store them in the basement in a pot of dry saw dust or peat moss for the winter. Then plant them back outside in the Spring after frost.

o

My friend forwarded my this information from the Arcamax website/

A freshly harvested sweet potato has a tender skin that bruises easily. Damaged roots will decay in storage. Allow the harvested potatoes to dry for a few hours and then spread them on a tray lined with newspaper, hay or sawdust. Place them in a dry, warm area (about 80-85 degrees for 10-14 days). This will "cure" them and set the skins so they store better. They should be stored in a cool (55-60 degrees) dry place. Sweet potatoes treated this way will store for several months. Remove any roots that show signs of deterioration or decay. Next spring, lay the sweet potatoes on their sides in a hotbed about a month before the nighttime temperatures stay above 60 degrees F. Cover the sweet potato roots with 2 inches of moist sand and keep the hotbed between 75 degrees and 80 degrees F. When the sprout develop, remove them with a twisting tug and pot them up for rooting and growing into new plants. Additional transplants (slips) will form from the bedded sweet potatoes if you leave it in place. The vine segments can also be rooted if you wish to make more plants than the above method provides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here