Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickyn1

HAVE: Canadian Autumn Seed Swap

Nicky
12 years ago

Hi Canadian swappers!

I am looking for Canadians to join in an "any kind of seed swap"! I am organizing the swap at another site & have some participants already & we have decided to open it up at Gardenweb as well.

It is very simple, you package up seeds from your garden and mail them off. In turn you will receive the same number of packets of seeds back. So if you send in 10 packets you get 10 back. You also need to send a Wishlist, so I know what you would like back! This swap includes Veggies, flowers, herbs - any kind of seeds!

Post here or send me a message for the details! Reminder: Please make sure that your private message function is turned on!

Thank you! (:

Comments (68)

• sorellina
    12 years ago

Ciao Nicky-

Thanks for taking this on. It's about time Heather had some help with Canadian round robins! Sure, I'll play. I have lots of different seeds to contribute.

Sheryl, I was just going through peppers for Heather's swap and I've got Choco Hab. I can set it aside for you.

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello swappers!
    We are up to 20 people! PM's sent to sherrieseeds & sorellina!

Let me know if you have left a message but haven't gotten the details (1st make sure you have enabled your email).

(: Nicky on a rainy southern Ontario afternoon

• sherrieseeds
    12 years ago

Hi Nicky
    I'm not sure why but I don't receive emails from the gardenweb. I have reset it many times and sent myself test messages. The notice says the emails have been sent but they never arrive. I have sent a message to gardenweb to see if they can check into this for me.

In the mean time can you please forward the instructions directly to my email at sherriebohan@shaw.ca

Thanks a bunch.
    Sherrie

• heavyoilguy
    12 years ago

Hi, I would like to join your seed swap

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I think that at this point everyone except Yellowboler should have gotten an email detailing the guidelines of the swap. If you haven't recieved the email, just let me know & I will send it. Yellowboler, please send me your email address or set up your account to recieve emails!
    Thanks & have a great weekend,
    Nicky

• latha
    12 years ago

Hi Nicky

I would like to join the seed swap as well.

regards
    Thanks
    Latha

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Latha,
    Could you please send me your email address or set up your GardenWeb profile to allow emails. You can find instructions earlier in this thread.
    thanks
    Nicky

• latha
    12 years ago

Hi Nicky

I have updated my profile.
    thanks
    Latha

• amiel
    12 years ago

I hope I'm not too late.
    I would like to join.
    I've set up my profile for emails.
    Thanks

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome to the swap Latha & Amiel. Private messages sent to both.

I think the only one who hasn`t received an email is yellowboler. If you would like to join send me an email or set up your profile.

Just to let everyone know we are now up to 28 people! The deadline for signing up is November 7th. I have received a few packages already & it is a great variety!

Have a great night,
    Nicky

• latha
    12 years ago

Hi Nicky

thanks. Received your email.

regards
    Latha

• sorellina
    12 years ago

Ciao Nicky-

Do you have any guidelines for how many seeds to package per "trade pack"? I can tell you what I normally do for swaps with the sole purpose of attempting to be helpful.

Tiny Seeds (basil, hyssop, poppies): 1/8 tsp
    Small Flower Seeds (calendula, bachelor button): 1/4 tsp
    Small Vegetable Seeds (tomato, pepper, eggplant): 10 seeds
    Large Flower Seeds (4 O'Clock, Nasturtium, Thunbergia): 5-10 seeds
    Large Vegetable Seeds (Squash, Beans, Corn): 25 seeds

Some seeds are more rare than others, so I label them as such in hopes that the recipient doesn't feel slighted. It's exciting to get exactly what you want, even if it's a small amount.

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

I would also like to join the trade please, Just seed gathering now.

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is a great guideline for seed amounts - thank you Sorellina! I will add that to the swap guidelines!

Message sent to Luckynes13!

have a great day!

• Rajam
    12 years ago

Hi Nicky

I would like to join too. Send me the details.

Thanks
    Rajam

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Rajam,
    Sounds great - could you please set up your email in your profile. If you read through earlier post there are instructions. Or you can send me your email address.
    Thanks

• turquoisegardenia
    12 years ago

Count me in too! This sounds like a lot of fun!

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I need email adresses for Rajam and yellowboler.

Just a reminder that the last day to sign up is November 7th. Seed packages need to be in the mail by November 14th.

If you have joined the swap and would like, you can email me your wishlist sooner - as the packages come in I am putting things aside for people. You will the best chance of receiving things from your list if I am pulling things for you as they come in.

Have a great night!
    Nicky

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi gang!

I have had a few people asking which seed is popular and which we have a lot of...If you are having a hard time deciding what to send in, here are the popular & the too-many...

Popular: a lot of people are looking for greens - lettuce, spinach, herbs etc. Agastache, Amaranth, Agapanthus & Scabiosa are also very popular. As are the odd coloured Echinacea/coneflower and Rudbeckia. I have a couple of requests for tropical flowers. Tall Perennials are also in demand. Yellow zucchini is very popular, as are most vegetable seeds!

Unpopular: Please don't send in any unnamed variety or mixed variety morning glories, marigold or datura. If your seed is a mix or you don't have a specific variety name, please keep it. If you are unsure... Datura is also called: Angel or Devil Trumpet, Jimson Weed, Thorn apple, Stinkweed, Moonflower, Inoxia & a few more! None of these are variety names. If you send it in I am going to have to send it back in your envelope. The same goes for Morning Glories & Marigolds - 'mixed variety' seed or 'mixed including X variety' should not be sent in for this swap. I can't send mixed variety seeds to swap with someone who has followed the swap rules & sent in named varieties. I have been trying to swap the un-named variety packs with other un-named variety packs, however, it is like trying to organize 2 seed swaps! If your morning glories, marigolds & daturas have specific variety names, please feel free to include them in your packages.

I really appreciate the work that you have all gone to to send in the seed packs & I think you will all be excited for Spring when you see what is in your envelopes!

(: happy day after halloween
    nicky

• sherrieseeds
    12 years ago

Hi Nicky
    Glad in checked the thread. I will email you my wish list and the list of what I have sent you. Good luck sorting this all out.
    Thanks Sherrie

• yellowboler
    12 years ago

Hi again. Sorry it took me a while to figure out how to show my email adress to others. Hoping its not to late to join the swap:)

• Rajam
    12 years ago

Hi Nicky

I have already done that. I am sure you will be able to send messages to me.

Thanks
    Rajam

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Message sent to Yellowboler! Glad you checked the thread!

Rajam, your messaging isn't working. If you would like, you can message me your email. I have found that GardenWeb's email doesn't always work very well.

There have also been a couple of disappearing posts in this thread. I am not sure why. You can ask in the GardenWeb help centre if your post is missing. There was someone who posted last night asking for more info - but before I could send them a message, their post disappeared! If you have asked to be a part of the swap & have not gotten a private email about the swap guidelines please send me a message & I will email you directly. At this point everyone except Rajam should have gotten a private message!

Thank you to everyone who has sent me their early wishlist - its keeping me busy this morning!

Cheers,
    Nicky

• Rajam
    12 years ago

Hi Nicky

I have similar problem. My computer too gets locked up. I feel there could be a virus in this site.

Thanks
    Rajam

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Rajam,
    Could you send me a message with your email address? Just click on my name 'glynis3' and click on 'send me an email' then I can send you the guidelines!
    (: Nicky

• sweet_marie
    12 years ago

I would love to join too! I have lots to swap, can have everything put together and in the mail tomorrow.

I can't seem to make my messaging thing work in my profile though. I will message you my email address. Hopefully that works.

Thanks,
    Marie

• Rajam
    12 years ago

Thanks Nicky

Received your email

Rajam

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Swappers,

Everyone should have an email of the guidelines by now! If you haven't gotten a private message with my address & the swap guidelines, just send me a message.

If you are debating about whether to sign up or not - MONDAY is the deadline. We have a pretty amazing variety of seeds.

I had a question on another forum about the seed being sent in. In case you are curious;

Of the seed packages sent in:
    Flowers 46%
    Vegetables 40%
    Herbs 14%

14% of the vegetable seed sent in are tomatoes
    The most popular veg request in general are greens - salad, spinach, lettuce, bok choi, cabbage & oriental greens
    The most requested single item so far - Chamomile & Amarathus!
    Squash & zucchini are extemely popular as well (both requests and sent in).

Flowers sent in and requests are all over the place.
    Odd coloured coneflower/rudbeckia/echinacea are pretty popular requests and send ins.
    I think I have enough datura/morning glory/marigold/calendula/sweet william/dianthus to sow some serious acreage. There are some very interesting varieties that I had to look up! I am getting a crash course in flower nomenclature.

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello all,

Just a reminder that today is the last day to sign up for the swap!

Have a great day,
    Thanks
    Nicky

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Carol, I appreciate you letting me know! I will let you know when your package arrives!

(: Nicky

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone!

Just a quick reminder that this is the last weekend before the mailing deadline. Your seeds must be postmarked November 14th(Monday) or before.

Please let me know when your package is in the mail (if you haven't already).

If you would like to send your wishlist ahead of your seeds, please message me.

Thanks & have a great weekend!
    Nicky (:

• yellowboler
    12 years ago

Hi Nicky thanks soooo much for organizing this swap. I'm so excited to see what shows up in the mail. I sent my seeds off about 1 week ago;)

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great!
    Thanks Yellowboler! I will let you know when I receive your package!
    (:
    Nicky

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I received seeds from Rajam, Yellowboler and TurquoiseGardenia.

Today is the final day to mail your package!
    Thanks (:

• Rajam
    12 years ago

Thanks for letting me know Nicky. I am eagerly waiting for the surprise

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Afternoon!

Today I recieved seeds from Latha, Gardeng8 & Darrylene. Just unpacking them now!

Cheers,
    Nicky

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good news... Just a couple of envelopes left to come in & I will be sending them back out again! I will email each of you to let you know when I send out your envelope!

(:
    Nicky

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Swappers,
    I sent out the first bunch of packages today. I have sent emails to confirm,
    rosco p
    greylady-gardener
    shanta5
    latha
    Luckynes13
    turquoisegardenia
    Yellowboler
    rajam
    sheryl
    darrylene
    Please let me know when you get your seed package!
    I am waiting on 1 more package to come in before I can close up the other envelopes. I will let you all know when they go out in the mail!
    Cheers,Nicky

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

Thank you Nicky,

I'll let you know when they arrive. Can't wait!

luckynes13

• sorellina
    12 years ago

Goodness, Nicky, you've been busy! Well done!!

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello again!

All of the packages for the swap are complete & will be mailed out today!
    Brieen
    gardeng8
    sherrieseeds
    sorellina
    Abeysthe
    Please let me know when you get them!
    Cheers,
    Nicky

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Hello Nicky! the seeds arrived today--what a great package!! thank you very much. now I can't wait to get them planted.

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

Got the seeds in the mail today. They are great. Thanks so much!

• turquoisegardenia
    12 years ago

Nicky- what a GREAT package! By far the best trade I've ever participated in. Thanks so much for all your hard work putting this together-- I couldn't be more happy! Now the only challenge will be waiting to start them!!

• Nicky
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad you all like them! I can't wait for spring. ((sigh)) There is about a foot of water on my front lawn. I need to do a swap for pond plants. lol

• sorellina
    12 years ago

Ciao all-

Nicky, I got my seed parcel yesterday - a really interesting assortment of seeds, some of which I don't recognize. Who had the green masking tape on the seed packs? I love it when people do include their GW name for questions and feedback. Whoever the green masking tape person is, thanks for all of the different cosmos. Rubenza has been on my list for a while and I didn't know about the Cranberries variety. I'm an admitted cosmos junkie. Luckynes, what is the Chinese Wood? I got 2 packs of that from you. Also, the Japanese Eggplant, what variety is it, do you know? There are a few long Asian types. Whoever sent the Butterfly Pea, is that Clitoria ternatea and how easy is it to grow from seed? It's beautiful. One last question for now, whoever sent in the Purple Majesty Millet, is that collected or commercial seed? That variety is a hybrid, so if it's self-saved, I've heard it's not as dark in the F2. Honeydew, your seeds were especially well-packaged, so thank you very much for the extra effort you put in.

Nicky, thank you also for all of the Asian greens, parsnips, and basil. I really can never have too many of those.

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

Sorellina

"Luckynes, what is the Chinese Wood? I got 2 packs of that from you. "
    That is Chinese Woad, a biennial, aka Ban Lan Gen, Ch'Ing Tai, Dyer's Woad, Dyer's-woad, Tein-ching, Tien Hua, Wede, Woad In it's second spring , it will be the first plant to bloom in your garden, bright yellow flowers.
    . It is both a ancient healing herb and a dye plant.
    ISATIS INDIGOTICA. (Da Qing) Contains indican and isatin B, both of which can be converted to indigo. Considered antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory. Leaves and roots are effective against flu, encephalitis, measles, hepatitis, and mumps.

"Also, the Japanese Eggplant, what variety is it, do you know? There are a few long Asian types"
    It is Solanum melongena 'Kurume Long Purple', a quite interesting looking and tasting eggplant.
    I'm glad you you like it, both are quite easy to grow.

Nicki, Thank you again for doing such a great job, hope you do it again next year.

• sorellina
    12 years ago

Ciao Lucky-

Oh how fun, something else to research and obsess over! But seriously, I can't knit to save my life - I've tried, and being left-handed, I'm really at a loss. I know a REALLY good audience for paying those seeds forward, though, but first, I'm going to have a look in my Chinese Medicine Soup Book I may grow the Japanese Eggplant in a pot. The smaller Asian eggplants did really well last year with that treatment and I might have enough good ones for one more hotpot!

Thanks for sharing your lovely seeds and teaching me stuff!

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

Sorellina,

Dye plants are not just used for knitting, so don't limit yourself just yet.
    The eggplants grew rather large in my garden, straight up.

I really hope who ever has them enjoys them as much as I have.

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

The link below is something else you can do with dye plants.
    Terishina is an friend of mine. Quite talented.

Here is a link that might be useful: wrapping paper selections

Sponsored
More Discussions