Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Looking For:

Posted by phylli620 z5 NS (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 11:57

I'm looking for Cleome, Godetia, yellow Lupine, Himalayan Blue Poppy; Callistephus Blue Ribbon; burgandy Gaillardia; Molucella laevis("Bellos of Ireland"); Gaillardia pulchella("Razzle Dazzle"); Ligularia dentata "Othello"(Leopard plant); Magic Fountain Delphinium-Dark Blue; E. purpurea Dopppleganger. Please check my 2008 exchange list.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Looking For:

just wanted to let you know (in case you didn't) the blue poppy (meconopsis sp.) is one of those plants that set seed and die. Most people that I know who have it in their garden will let it flower, but cut off the seed pod before it matures so the plant doesn't die. I'm not sure if every meconopsis species is like that, but the ones that I know of are.

o

Kenny is right, although sometimes the plant will continue to live on.

I have been growing the 'Blues' as I call them for the last five years. The first year they bloomed, I did not let them go to seed and all returned. Last year I let one go to seed. I lost two out of five plants. The plant which I let seed was not one of the ones which did not return.

One thing which another GWer advised me to do was remove the plants and divide them. As they mature, the base gets bigger and separating it is quite easy. I did this and out of 3 plants now have 10. I do not expect them to bloom next year, but they are very healthy and may surprise me. :O)

From the seeds I gathered last year I have a few more plants. I gathered two pods this year and might have seeds for you. You can e-mail me and I'll look at them this weekend. I also have other commitments on these seeds so will have to check my records to see if there's enough to go around.

Nicole.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 11:48

You have mail. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here