Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: gaura 'summer breeze' & white buddleia

Posted by bev_w 6a Vienna ON (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 15, 08 at 15:27

Hi all,

The "Summer Breeze" Gaura is reputedly more cold hardy than the other varieties and if I can find some seed, I'll give it one more try. Is anyone growing "Summer Breeze" in Canadian zone 6 or colder? Got seeds?

I'm also looking for any WHITE flowering Buddleia.

Here's my trade list: http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/bev_w

- Bev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: gaura 'summer breeze' & white buddleia

Hi Bev,
I have several Gauras located in my rose bed that return each year. That bed gets lots of snow cover.
The seed came from Australia and I can barely believe they have returned three years! One has a white with pink tinged flower. The pink species also returns but doesn't seem as prolific (less stems). I'm watching seed ripen presently. Also watching the white butterfly bush flower heads. They don't ripen until next month.
If you don't find someone sooner with seeds, email me in November.

o
RE: WANTED: gaura 'summer breeze' & white buddleia

• Posted by bev_w 6a Vienna ON (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 16, 08 at 12:50

Thanks for the offer. I'm in no rush, so I'll say yes to the white "prolific" Gaura and the white Buddleia.

Insulation is our problem here in the banana belt. We don't get consistent snow cover. Also, I had my Gauras in fairly rich soil in a hollow dug into a former gravel driveway. I think the drainage wasn't good enough.

Next time I try Gaura I'm going to put them in sand and just fertilize if/when necessary.

I just looked at your trade list and noticed your liking for orange-toned flowers. I saved seed from a gorgeous orange/salmon Zinnia. The original variety was "Lilliput mixed" but I haven't been selecting for dwarfness. These guys are 4 to 5 feet tall in my garden. But, of course, they're annuals. Let me know.

- Bev

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here