Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cohan_gw

HAVE: Natives,C+S, Bulbs etc

cohan
14 years ago

hi all, new to the forum, in west central alberta, here;

just scouting to see if there are folks with similar interests, i will get more specific later...lol

i have seed of quite a few local wildflowers available--i'm in the border zone of parkland/mised forest/boreal forest regions, so most species i have are woodland, mixed grass/open forest and wetland species..

i'm interested in native plants of woodland, grassland and drylands..

besides that, my interests are in alpines, cacti and succulents hardy and not, species bulbs both for outdoors and tender indoor plants..

possibilities of swapping seeds/seedlings/plants, sharing overseas orders, etc

Comments (11)

• barb_from_london
    14 years ago

Hi, welcome to the forum! I'm not sure if many of our natives will be hardy in your zone, but I've collected (or can collect) seeds from a few things, for example;
    Menispermum canadense
    Lilium philadelphicum
    Stylophorum diphyllum
    Carex muskingensis (spelling prob. incorrect)
    Eupatorium maculatum
    Physocarpus opulifolius
    Rudbeckia triloba
    Solidago flexicaulis
    etc (blanking out here!)

If there is anything in this area you're looking for that I haven't listed, I might be able to find it if you let me know what it is. If so, maybe we can work out a trade. I'm in the Carolinian zone, but we also have some fairly hardy species as well, as this is the northern limit of the Carolinian mixed deciduous zone.

• cohan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the welcome :)
    there were several things of interest on your list--i checked presumed hardiness of some -- i dont know anybody in my area growing much of interest, so sometimes you just have to try things! gardens north was a good spot to check a few as they do have a lot of ontario natives listed, but she was in ottawa area, so has good knowledge of hardiness..
    several of yours are rated z 4, so are dubious here, but, again, you never know til you try! others rate 2 or three..
    i'm not sure what else you have in your area (lots i know)
    things most likely from that area to be interesting to me would be forest species, as my property is heavily treed, and i have many local native forest species growing wild all over my yard, would like to add some of the nice easterns--asarums, sanguinaria, trilliums, i'm sure many others that dont come to mind, right now..
    my second area of interest in your area would be woody things--from shrubs to small trees (up to 6 metres to use an arbitrary number)--i have lots of native trees and shrubs growing here, but would like to have some different small trees around the edges, or some places in the yard where we are reducing the big trees over time, smaller ones would be nice, for structure without so much shade...

you can email me directly, too, if you want :)

• ontnative
    14 years ago

The Alberta Native Plant Council has a list of native plant sources for your province. You could check with them for recommendations of what to plant in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alberta native plant sources

• cohan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks--i do know that list, and there are some really good sources on it, but overall, much more limited than i would like--virtually nothing in terms of forest and alpine species, and not much for really cool dryland stuff;
    mostly meadow/border kind of stuff...

much easier to find foreign (or ontario species, thanks to gardens north!) than anything from alberta, other than what i can get myself in my area...

• delphina111
    13 years ago

Hello Cohan;
    I am a fellow gardener in Southern Alberta that would be interested in trading seeds/plants or fruit trees with you.

• cohan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi delphina :)
    feel free to email me directly if you'd like to let me know more about what you have and/or are interested in..
    i have a few new things coming up from seed, plus still seed of natives from last year, and can collect more seed this year..
    i have picasa albums that show a lot of the plants in my area..

• ontnative
    13 years ago

Cohan, in case you are still looking for a reliable seed source of native plants, I should mention that I placed an order with Prairie Moon in MN this spring and found their seeds to germinate very well when winter sown. You would have to do your own research re winter hardiness, etc. I hesitated to order from the US figuring there might be border issues, and so forth, but everything went very smoothly and efficiently. MN is Can zone 4-5 for winter hardiness, I believe, but most of their plants would be suitable for colder zones.

• cohan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the tip :) i have looked at their website, good to know your order went well..

• anns3acres
    13 years ago

Hello Cohan,
    I have a little saskatoon tree that volunteered in my garden that I didn't have the heart to pull out. It's yours if you are interested. It would probably be best to ship it in the fall. Also some wild bluebells, and some years, indian pipe. Is there anything specific you would really like? We have 3 acres just north of Edmonton bordering a creek and have a real variety of "stuff" growing. Pink wintergreen, wild strawberries and raspberries, pincherries, highbush cranberries. let me know! I would really like to get some wild tiger lily plants or seeds. They grow here, but are pretty rare. I am not sure if it is legal to dig them, but would love to try seeds.
    Ann

• cohan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi ann :)
    glad to hear from you-there are some things that seem on the distribution maps to be up in your area that are not down here, though i'll have to go through my book to remind myself! (I'm thinking maybe native Tiarella and capnoides/Corydalis sempervirens)-but i know there is no guarantee you will have them around just because they should/could be in your area..
    sounds like we have lots of the same things,, but i'm sure we have some local differences;saskatoons are all over my place wild, indian pipe/monotropa i don't have, that would be cool if any pop up, i have natural woodland where seeds might do well;in a similar vein, do you have any of the coralroot orchids? i have a couple species, and if indian pipe grows there, the orchids should if you'd like seeds;
    we should be able to arrange seeds of the lily--they are/were flowering very well this year, so as long as i can find some again at seed stage--much harder to see then...lol

• signet_gw(6b)
    13 years ago

Hi Cohan

Signet here in S.W. Ontario , I would be interested in trying to work a trade with you . I believe I have some plants that might be of interest to you and you have some that definitely interest me . So how about you email me and I can respond from my regular email address and we can chat and see if we can work a trade.....I love to trade LOL ! Hope to hear back and thanks for your time

Signet

Sponsored
More Discussions