Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiemuffet

WANTED: planting Hemerocallis Seeds

maggiemuffet
18 years ago

I have purchesed some hemerocallis seeds and would liket he best information for planting these seeds. Things like should

I plant them now and put in garage for spring etc?

Comments (3)

• cailinriley
    18 years ago

Here's some information from an out-of-print Thompson and Morgan seed guide. Your hemerocalls seeds need to be stratified:

"Stratification (cold treatment)--Some seeds need a period of moisture and cold after harvest before they will germinate-usually this is necessary to either allow the embryo to mature or to break dormancy. This period can be artificially stimulated by placing the moistened seed in a refrigerator for a certain period of time (usually 3- 5 weeks at around 41 F)...larger seeds can be mixed with 2-3 times their volume of damp peat, placed direct into a Polythene bag which is sealed and placed in the refrigerator. Look at seeds from time to time. The seeds must be moist whilst being pre-chilled, but it doesn't usually benefit them to be actually in water or at temperatures below freezing.

Light also seems to be beneficial after prechilling and so pre-chilled seeds should have only the lightest covering of compost over them, if any is required, and the seed trays etc. should be in the light and not covered with brown paper etc."

After this treatment, your seeds will take from 21 to 49 days to germinate at 60-70 degrees.

Hope this information is useful. You can get information on germinating lots of different seeds at the link below.

Good luck and have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed germination information

• Mari11
    18 years ago

Last year I got some seeds in April, kept them in fridge untill May,18 (dry, in plastic bags, as received). Then I soaked them in warm water for 1 day and planted in small pots , covered with clear plastic, kept in the house. They started to sprout in 7 days.
    You can also check Gardeness' web site : http://www.geocities.com/gardeness1/ for seeds planting recommendations.

• Gardeness
    18 years ago

Thanks Mari11 - It's fun to see your "name" in print when you don't expect it.

Yes you may check my website (above) or if you don't find the answer to your particular question there - just email me and I'll either answer immediately or I'll find out the answer and get back to you asap.

Studies have shown there is no benefit to starting daylily seeds at this time of year (unless you live in the southern US). Save them dry (in a Ziploc bag and include a piece of papertowel to absorb any moisture) in the veggie compartment of your fridge. The seeds will look shrivelled, but that's okay over the winter, you'll rehydrate them in spring. Be sure to check the seeds once a month and if you notice the papertowel starting to discolour or get moldy - simply remove it and replace it with a fresh piece. In March you can take the seeds out and soak them overnight in tepid water as mentioned above. You can keep soaking them until they germinate (a week or more) and some people put a few drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in the water to help the seed soften and allow water in to begin re-hydrating and germinating. Then plant up (as above). After the initial watering of the seeds in the soil, try to water from underneath instead of watering over top. If you can add water to a tray under the pots, you'll keep aphids and mites to a minimum.

If you need more specific info - email me.
    Good luck with your daylily seeds!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions