mellorv

WANTED: Paw Paw Seeds

mellorv
15 years ago

Looking for Paw Paw Seeds

Comments (12)

• bev_w
    15 years ago

I have Paw Paw seeds from a SW Ontario stand, but I will only trade them for something equally special that I'm keen on collecting.

Please e-mail me with your offerings / trade list. Thanks.

- Bev

• nyssaman
    15 years ago

And would this be a native stand Bev..please do tell..lol

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Not telling, Jeff! Don't want all the grockles descending on the poor ole Paw Paws, digging and tramping and generally getting up to no good. Tourists beware-- there's hillbillies in these hills...

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

ok you got me ......what the heck is a grockle? and if I am interested does that make me one ?

Signet

• ninamarie
    15 years ago

Bev, I too would be very interested in PawPaw seeds. If you have any extras, would you be willing to trade? I don't post my lists anymore, but have an extensive array of perennial and native plants.

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Nah, Signet, you'd only be a grockle if you actually visited here and started bothering the locals (who all carry shotguns in the back of their F150s) about the location of the stand of Paw Paw trees.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grockle

Your post is timely, 'cause yesterday, an acquaintance from the neighbouring village dropped by with a bag of very ripe paw paw fruit, from a tree growing in her front yard.

So now I have A LOT of Paw Paw seeds.

Apparently I have developed a reputation as someone on whom people can unload obscure seeds. Last year I received several such "gifts" and I'm compelled to germinate them, and then I don't know what to do with the seedlings. I'm at the point of guerrilla gardening the park across the street.

Anyway, there is good supply of Paw Paw seeds now, although the origin of the stock is unknown. The tree was started from seed, but I don't know the source of the seed.

Mellorv, I'll take another look at your list if you still want some of these.

Bev

p.s. Signet-- what's all this with HOSTAS? Did you catch Hostamania? What's in the water up there? :-)

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Bev, I participated in a hosta exchange earlier this year .Thus the hosta listings . I have always grown some hostas...now I have more .

So what can I tempt you with for some of your PawPaw seeds? I looked at your list but dont have any of the items it says you are looking for unfortunately . I do still have the thornless blackberry cuttings I rooted . I have open pollenated hosta seeds . I have daylily seeds (if you have the patience to wait for them to bloom) Kiss me over the garden gate .... Rose of sharon .not anything earthshaking I'm afraid .

Hey did you know that they use Pawpaw in place of fats in baking ...most people like it better than items made with applesauce to replace the fat in a recipe

Anyway if you think of something I might have that you would be willing to swap some of "them there paw paws" for let me know .

By the way the Impatiens Balfouri did marvelously well here this summer . I collected bunches of seeds from the one plant .

Signet

• ninamarie
    15 years ago

Bev, I have Amsonia hubrichtii (probably plants, not seed) and Clematis heracleifolia (shrub clematis) the seed from which I harvested. Are you interested in a trade?
    Ninamarie

• nyssaman
    15 years ago

Hi Bev.. I hope you are keeping those puppies moist stratified they do have a short viability..but you are a smarty boots so you probably know that already..lol

• bev_w
    15 years ago

Ha ha, Jeff. The seeds are being "moist stratified" inside their natural gooey jackets, on the porch. I just cut up a couple whenever I need to send them. Each paw paw fruit has four or five seeds in it.

Ninamarie-- yes ! I'll e-mail you.
    Signet: I'll just pop some in the mail. Your "payback" for the two swap meets you organized!

- Bev

• signet_gw(6b)
    15 years ago

Hi Bev,

Received my PawPaw seeds today! Thanks so much ! Now to find out germination info on these babies! .

I am excited about these ....just got some Osage orange too Whoohoo !

Signet

• mellorv
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got my Pawpaw Seeds, feels like early christmas. Just for a little info for the other lucky pawpaw seed receiptants, make sure you statify them, and when you plant them out, shade them for the first few years(use shade cloth, Cedar Singles etc), these babies do not enjoy sun when young. Thank you so much for the Canadian seeds Bev!