Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Fresh silver maple seeds

Posted by dirtslinger2 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 23:06

Looking for silver maple seeds(Acer saccharinum, and not the sugar maple A. saccharum)

If you have these, and are sure they are viable seeds (lots of seedlings popping up under those trees?) Please let me know and I'm sure we can work out a trade.
I have a mix of exotics, veggies, and common seeds too.
Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Fresh silver maple seeds

THey come down by the ton in the spring - I have lots of seedlings that have germinated in my garden, if you live down my way, you can have them. I live in Chatham and could possibly give you at least six to ten seedlings about 8-15 inches high. Come spring, though I ccould give you a huge pail full of the seeds with wings. Normally, I clear cut - yank them out by the handful.
The question is why do you want silver maples - to me they are just big weeds - grow fast, and shed seeds like mad.
Anne

o
RE: WANTED: Fresh silver maple seeds

Hello- Although I'd love your seedlings, I'm in BC, and shipping may be a bit risky. I'd be interested to trade something for seedlings if you are open to sending by mail.
I'd like to get a dozen or so growing out on the acreage. Seems they love water and grow exceptionally fast- they'd bring shade to me and the livestock- while the "good" trees are taking root. In time the silvers will be cut down to make room for the other shade trees. I read they break easily in wind/ice storms so they aren't permanent trees- just functional.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here