Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Did anyone ever find out what the 'spear' seeds are

Posted by hmacdona Zone 3a Calgary (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 8:39

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone managed to find out what the spear seeds were from the last seed exchange that Kenny organized.

The person that contributed those seeds may not have read our prior posts asking for more information.

Would appreciate any further information.

Thanks.....Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Did anyone ever find out what the 'spear' seeds are

• Posted by signet z6 S.W. Ont (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 22, 08 at 15:58

Hi Heather ,
I wasnt involved in the seed swap with Kenny but I wonder is it possible you have King's Spear seeds there ? here is a little info about King's Spear aka Jacob's Rod ( ASPHODELINE lutea) It is a really pretty plant ! Might be a little touch and go for you in your zone though.

ASPHODELINE lutea
Jacob's Rod; King's Spear

Signet
Dense racemes of fragrant, bright yellow flowers on tall spikes in late spring. Blue-green grassy foliage. Well-drained soil in sun. I tried unsuccessfully to germinate seeds for this variety over a period of several years before it showed up suddenly and unexpectedly in the garden here. Quite lovely and easy to grow.
36" x 12" z 5

o

Yes, someone did send in King's Spear seeds, but they were labelled king's spear. The King's spear seeds are irregular little chunks, but the SPEAR seeds were tiny like poppy seeds

o

Thanks for sharing your idea Signet.

Whatever these seeds are, the plant produces a lot of seed. As Kenny indicated, they are tiny like poppy seeds and the package I received was quite full, so this plant has to be a heavy producer of seed or I can't see someone sending that many seeds in one package.

I sure hope the person that sent them in pops in on this post to give us a brief description of what the plant looks like.

o

I though for a moment it might be a cultivar called 'Spear' but I haven't found any cultivar called 'Spear' from searching the plantfiles from Dave's Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here