Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunita_fleuriste

WANTED: Star of Bethlehem bulbs

sunita_fleuriste
16 years ago

hiya.

Does anyone have these bulbs to trade? Or know where I can find them?? I just saw some pics of them and would love to have some...

S

Comments (10)

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

Be careful what you wish for :)
    I had a patch when we moved here a long time ago and now I am fighting to keep them from taking over my entire gardens. Not sure why they are taking over because the lady next door has a nice little patch that is in the same spot that it always was and is very well behaved. I through out a ton of them every year. They are pretty but can be extremely invasive.

Lois

• sunita_fleuriste
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi:)

Yes I d heard that they can be aggressive but I figured that they d be well behaved here!

Anyway I think having my garden bed overtaken by these can t be bad! :)

S

• barb_from_london
    16 years ago

I can attest to their invasiveness... my entire back yard is taken over by this monster, and although I dig up as much as I can each spring they always seem to bounce back. If you really do want some you can have some of mine! But I'd suggest trying to contain it somehow - they seem to spread both by offsets and seed, so you'd have to deadhead religiously and plant them in some sort of bottomless container to prevent offsets. I really curse whoever planted them in my yard, though...

• willy46
    16 years ago

hi would mind some too.love these as a child.when ever can.work out a trade or something.
    willy46

• sunita_fleuriste
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the offer Barb! :) I ve already got some on the way from someone who s also over run!!

I will be plantin them in an island bed...it has a short retaining wall around it...hopefully that will keep them in place?
    S

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

This is just a hint about how to keep them contained......I make sure that if I have been working and digging in the gardens where they grow, I wash off all the tools that I was using. I forgot one time and there must have been the tiniest bulb in the soil caked on the trowel and sure enough I got them coming up in the other "clean" garden. I was able to get them though it did involve digging deep and taking out all the soil and throwing it away. When I am weeding in the area where they are, I take a bag right into the garden with me to dispose of the weeds in case tiny bulbs are in the soil and I don't toss the weeds onto the lawn (like I do with other gardens). I am even careful about walking around on the soil and walking anywhere else with soil caked on my shoes. Maybe this sounds extreme, but I am very frustrated with them and don't want them spreading anywhere else in my yard except where they are right now.
    Having said that, I do think they are pretty. :)
    Lois

• newwilly46
    16 years ago

still like bulbs if can share willy46
    new post name (newwilly46)
    did get them dug out at all.before snow.

• tegwyn
    16 years ago

William. I sent them to you on Mon. I emailed you but your email must not be working. Email me back when you get a chance. Diane

• newwilly46
    16 years ago

hi sent you email from last message.to your email addy.waiting to hear from you. willy
    my web garden willy46 stopped working new one now.

(newwilly46)

• newwilly46
    16 years ago

hi got bulbs today in mail thank you for sharing them with me.should have seeds by early next week.willy
    please let me know when get them too.

Sponsored
More Discussions